Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Deer Camp... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/deer-camp-74926/)

tri70 10-23-2012 11:24 PM

Deer Camp...

Do you hunt in a deer camp? I don't myself but I have never been asked to join one. I am waiting to do something with my kids and family.
A good thing to do is have list of items that are needed. What would you recommend for a weekend trip?

locnload 10-26-2012 03:45 AM

Deer Camp should be an event not just a venue. It is something we look forward to every year and plan, pack, and repack for weeks. We are leaving soon to be set up and ready for opening day of deer/elk season here in Colorado. I was fortunate to be invited to join a friends group about 16 years ago and have gone every season since. I took my son along a few years when he was in high school, and about 8 years ago we bought a motorhome so my wife most often goes with me. My friend has a big family and many of them come, brothers, sons, nephews, grand sons, and friends of all of the above. Some years just a few of them make it, other years almost everyone is there. Lots of people come and dont hunt, but just enjoy the visit. In Colorado even in November at least a few days of the 9 day season can be very nice. We camp next to a lake so the non-hunters can fish, go for walks, target shoot, play cards, read or just relax. We set up a big kitchen tent and there is always plenty of good food including a big breakfast before sun up so we all go out well nurished. Most of us hunt alone but its nice to have people around to help bring out game or call out the search party if you don't make it back to camp. Some years we have 5 or 6 RVs, a couple tents and the cook tent.
It seems like it would be hard to get the full "deer camp" expirience over a weekend but you take what you can. Most of all take what you need to be comfortable. I can stand being cold and wet while I'm hunting, but I like to get warm and dry at night. Get a good sleep, have a good breakfast, and be ready to go the next day. Take stuff for the non-hunters to do so the experience is something they look forward to as well. Plan for emergencies, stay comfortable, and have a plan for retrieving your game if your hunt is sucessful. If you join a group, or start your own, choose your camp mates wisely. Don't camp with stupid, dangerous people. Nothing can ruin everyones time like a drunk, angry fool playing with his gun.
Good luck and enjoy your hunt. :)

tri70 10-26-2012 10:23 AM

Sounds great! It would be great to get out for a good 4 or 5 days with good friends that are good sportsmen. The lake trip really sounds good to! My parents have a small place up on Bull Shoals lake just north of us, it has deer, turkey and great fishing. The town is about 30 min away for shopping.