deer calls
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > deer calls

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2011, 07:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default deer calls

what are some must have calls to have for deer hunting? Any opinion helps.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-08-2011, 07:56 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

It seems like here in Colorado the sound of a truck going about 75mph down the highway seems to attract them. LOL

Ok, now seriously, I have no idea...around here all we have is mule deer...muleys arent really attracted to any calls. But.......I use a "wheeze" to stop them in their tracks to try to get a shot.

It's like paradise on Earth, enriched with the ever so sweet nectar of
elk urine.

When you're out there by yourself, you become who you really are.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:09 PM   #3

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 728

There are grunt calls, doe bleets, none really seem to work. Quiet works best!!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:54 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1197 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 496

Default deer calls

Under the right conditions, grunt and bleat calls work on whitetails, usually during the rut. I used a combination of a grunt call and "The Can" to to take a nice 7 point this past season. The deer emerged from some heavy timber onto a pipeline and was definitely looking for the source of the grunts and bleats.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:46 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The bleat can is a must-have and knowing how to snort wheeze also can be very productive. A decent grunt call also should be in your bag of tricks. I have also had some success clicking the bones together here in Wisconsin but most of the bucks come in down wind from me when I'm rattling and it's hard to get them within archery range.

I call a lot but you have to be aware of the time of the season as you don't want to let say, estrus bleat to early in the season. Estrus bleating at a low testosterone buck will only alert him of your location.

I have had success calling but more often than not I have scared non-dominant bucks away. Last season I had a decent buck eye ball'n my deke and I gave him a wheeze challenge and the last glimpse I got of him was of his ass.

I truly believe that if any call only works 5% of the time that's all I'll need to eventually fill a tag.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:24 AM   #6

I've had great success with Flextones Buck Commander call.

Even got a coyote to come in to me while using the doe bleat!

NRA Endowment Member
host of www.triggertalk.tv

Old 03-11-2011, 05:10 PM   #7

Some of the most used calls are grunts and bleats, but personally unless you have experience calling them, I wouldn't bother to try you may spook the deer if done wrong

Also they make calls by changing the position of an O-ring you can make a range of noises from grunts to bleats

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=deer+grunt+and+bleat+call&hl=en&safe=off &prmd=ivns&resnum=3&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=14420050931521982772&sa=X&ei=6WV6TaSHCsfogQf 868XYBw&ved=0CGEQ8gIwAA#

...heres an example of one of them

Last edited by Number3Never4get; 03-11-2011 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Add info

Old 03-11-2011, 07:32 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
There are grunt calls, doe bleets, none really seem to work. Quiet works best!!
I somewhat agree with jpat here, except for one exception, doe in heat estrus. I've tried calls, but in Iowa the only season open during the rut is bow season, and you can hardly ever get a deer within bow range using a call. However, you can make them walk right under the tree and start humping it if you have some good estrus. A snort-weeze will stop them in their tracks for a still shot, but it will also tip them off to where you're at and they could duck the arrow, had that happen twice.

Luke 22:36 - He said to them, “But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one.