Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   crow hunting (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/crow-hunting-85535/)

ddefazio 03-01-2013 08:37 PM

crow hunting

Tomorrow morning will be the first time I am going crow hunting. Looking forward to walking through the fields enjoying the crisp morning.

orangello 03-01-2013 08:50 PM

Congrats! Where will you be hunting (state)? What will you be using, 12 guage, ammo?

Lastly, will you be baking 4 and 20 blackbirds in a pie? j/k

gearhead396 03-01-2013 08:51 PM

There are no crows where I live for what reason do you hunt them? Just curious

MisterMcCool 03-01-2013 10:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I heard crow tastes awful

limbkiller 03-02-2013 12:51 AM

Shoot the hell out of them. No shortage that is for sure. Hide well and I mean well and call them in. After you kill a couple you will have to move unless on a migration pattern. Use 12 ga. high brass #6's. A lot of fun.

303tom 03-02-2013 02:08 AM

I Hate Crows....................

DrumJunkie 03-02-2013 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 303tom (Post 1159885)
I Hate Crows....................

Me too!
THey pretty much stay away form here but will start their way back after they forget the last carnage spree. I used to love to pop them wit ha 17HMR but usually use a 22 mag these days. If I want to go out after them and get them on the move then I like a shotgun. My wife's grandfather keeps a 410 by the door and pops themn out of his field in front of the house on sight.

303tom 03-04-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrumJunkie (Post 1159905)
Me too!
THey pretty much stay away form here but will start their way back after they forget the last carnage spree. I used to love to pop them wit ha 17HMR but usually use a 22 mag these days. If I want to go out after them and get them on the move then I like a shotgun. My wife's grandfather keeps a 410 by the door and pops themn out of his field in front of the house on sight.

Crow got me the only ticket I ever got in my life for shooting something out of season...................I Hate Crows !

kingrider 03-14-2013 03:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I can't stand the things! Here's what they look like after eating a 55 gr. v-max

Attachment 90635

ScottA 03-14-2013 03:34 AM

Two stories about crows...

Youth pastor at a church I was in back in high school told this story. He and his friends would hunt crows for local farmers. But the crows being very intelligent birds would recognize the shotguns and take off before you could get in range.

Their solution... 5 guys in an old VW Beetle Convertible. Driving down the farm roads at 30 mph hour, the front seat passenger would pop the clasps on the roof, the wind would fling the roof back revealing the 3 in back with shotguns. Supposedly they took down a lot of crows that way.

I think the DNR rules have changed since then.

My story...

Back in college my roommate and I had a dead tree outside our apartment that crows would roost in and wake us up every morning as soon as the sun came up. Being in the middle of Iowa City, shotgun or 22 was not an option. We picked up his pellet gun and started shooting from about 8 feet back from the window so the neighbors didn't start wondering if they had a mad sniper in the neighborhood. 3rd shot hit the branch right below one the crows and they all scattered. They never came back.