Critter control poll - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Critter control poll

View Poll Results: Death or life?
Kill it deader than Sean Penn's career 29 87.88%
Live trap and relocate 4 12.12%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2010, 07:35 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Muskrats are actually very destructive like beavers. And destroy the spawning beds of fish. Eloika Lake in Wa. State has lots of them. Some residents use air rifles on them. I used to live 20 feet from the water. Took out one myself with a Sheridan Silver Streak 5mm..

Old 03-17-2010, 11:18 AM   #12

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

Hello all Tango your Local Crazy Varmint Hunting blood thirsty SOB.

You live out in the middle of nowhere. Shoot the dam thing, If you are too much of a girl wait and send me your address I will stop by this weekend to rid your pond of that filthy nasty vermin bastage with a vengeance one has not seen before. Plus I am sighting in the ar tomorrow and I figure 20 rounds of 60gr V-Max should make mess of that thing.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:28 AM   #13

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

Trap has been out for 2 days now with no response. I have not seen the bastard again, yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 03-21-2010, 01:30 AM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10404 Times on 4487 Posts
Likes Given: 1653

1/4 of an 8" stick of 40%, and a #8 cap. No mo muskrat.

Hydrostatic shock is not the exclusive realm of high speed bullets. High explosives in water also do quite well. But wax the suckers before they honeycomb your dam. Bad ju-ju.

Dad used to run a trapline- Victor leg holds, set in the water where they have a track they follow. The furs from muskrats helped pay for the house where I was born.

Old 03-21-2010, 02:16 AM   #15
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 472 Times on 260 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You could modify the habitat using Shot Rock, being as it needs to go at least 4' below the waterline and 2' above and be about 4 inches thick, that would take time and money. Could use fencing with the same requirements, but that would look like crap. So just shoot it, best time at dusk and during the early morning.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:10 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default Musk Rat

They are edible, They will become extinct thanks to the Nutria and people who love there back door gold fish ponds filled with crap of invasive species. Where is Fl. now with all the Crap lovers, Pythons, Poisonous snakes out the wazou, What Else can you Bring to america to defacate our waters and wet lands. Look at Indianna with their carp. I can't wait till the big bang comes. Mother Nature Will Survive But can we? wills in da swamp in La. God Bless.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:20 PM   #17

Wills,

The muskrat my be eradicated in the south due to the reasons you've stated, but I believe they will be around for a long time where there are no Nutria, monster pythons or the habitat for them to flourish.

c3, I like the idea. But since hydrostatic shock won't just target the muskrat but will get the largemouth bass, channel cats and bluegill as well.

Shi, this thing seems to like mid-afternoon. The only time I saw it was around 1530. I have not seen it since. I may have spooked it off as there is plenty of water around for it to just move away instead of hanging in. Plus they are somewhat nomadic, and it just may have moved on.

Quote:

Old 03-21-2010, 04:23 PM   #18

Liked 63 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
I may have spooked it off as there is plenty of water around for it to just move away instead of hanging in.
Maybe he saw the results of your poll and decided it was time to get outta Dodge!

Old 03-21-2010, 04:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
Maybe he saw the results of your poll and decided it was time to get outta Dodge!
LMAO, Lon. What gets me is that nothing has touched the apple slices. No coon, tree rat, field mouse or anything.

Quote:

Old 03-21-2010, 05:01 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default Musk rat love

Live traps seldom work on Muskrat. You need a leg or foot trap, set these where he comes up on land or his travel trails. Don't forget you will catch every thing else that roams in the area. Try celery, carrots and tops to appeal to his feeding habits, and put brush around the live trap. I worked in a Machine shop once and a Muskrat scared the hell out of Me when it came to a sitting position between my legs working the night shift. Wills in da Swamp In La. One Shot One Kill. God Bless