Coyotes ect.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Coyotes ect.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 03:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Coyotes ect.

Not to sound like a tree hugging (I don't JUST hug em) radical liberal (ok, maybe a little), but this is an honest question...

Why are we killing coyotes, wolves, ect?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-12-2012, 03:23 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1177 Times on 767 Posts
Likes Given: 706

coyotes, and wolves are bringing other animals numbers down to drastically. by as much as 1/3 in some places. such animals like pheasent, turkey, rabbit, deer and elk.... with 1/3 going to the coyotes and wolves, 1/3 going to harsh weather and starvation it does not leave a lot left to maintain good herd numbers.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:43 AM   #3

Liked 763 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 239

About 40% of the diet of coyotes that live near urban areas in this state is house cats. Some people don't like that. People that raise sheep, chickens, cats, small dogs, etc don't like to see those animals eaten by coyotes, same with larger livestock and wolves. If you were a wildlife department trying to maintain as large of game populations as possible for hunters(where 95% of your funding comes from), wouldn't you want to safely cut down on predators (and at the same time provide more hunting opportunities)?

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:45 AM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Hmmm, that explanation doesn't seem to make sense, given that predators tend to kill the weakest of the herd, so they wouldn't have lasted the winters anyway...

Old 04-12-2012, 03:48 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall
About 40% of the diet of coyotes that live near urban areas in this state is house cats. Some people don't like that. People that raise sheep, chickens, cats, small dogs, etc don't like to see those animals eaten by coyotes, same with larger livestock and wolves. If you were a wildlife department trying to maintain as large of game populations as possible for hunters(where 95% of your funding comes from), wouldn't you want to safely cut down on predators (and at the same time provide more hunting opportunities)?
See this explanation seems to me to say that predatory animals are simply a money equation, just another unlucky group (perhaps they didn't work hard enough) in the capitalist game

Old 04-12-2012, 03:52 AM   #6
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1255 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 598

Down here we kill every coyote we can.They can really have an effect on killing calves,sheep,goats,and any pets that they can get.

Coyotes have very few predators in Texas,and they can cost ranchers a lot of money if they are allowed to kill only a few head of livestock.
We bait them with the big boar feral hogs that we shoot,and usually get several a week at my friends ranch.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:56 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1177 Times on 767 Posts
Likes Given: 706

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatTire View Post
Hmmm, that explanation doesn't seem to make sense, given that predators tend to kill the weakest of the herd, so they wouldn't have lasted the winters anyway...
heres some info to help you see.

• The Northern Yellowstone elk herd trend count has dropped from some 19,000 elk in 1995 before the introduction of the Canadian Gray wolf to just over 6,000 elk in 2008. At the same time the wolf numbers in this same area are on a steady increase.

• Yellowstone’s Madison Firehole elk herd trend count has fallen from 700 to 108.

• The Gallatin Canyon elk herd trend count between Bozeman and Big Sky, Mont., has declined from 1,048 to 338.

• Wolf numbers in Idaho, Montana and Wyoming have far exceeded the original goal of 30 breeding pairs and 300 total wolves. Population estimates now exceed 1,700 wolves, yet others want to push the total up to 2,000 to 5,000 wolves.

http://www.nrahuntersrights.org/Article.aspx?id=3243
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:00 AM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Does it make sense to you that 300 wolves take more elk than all the hunters do? That dog don't hunt for me

Old 04-12-2012, 04:02 AM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly
Down here we kill every coyote we can.They can really have an effect on killing calves,sheep,goats,and any pets that they can get.

Coyotes have very few predators in Texas,and they can cost ranchers a lot of money if they are allowed to kill only a few head of livestock.
We bait them with the big boar feral hogs that we shoot,and usually get several a week at my friends ranch.
Again, that's a money reason, a product of an unsustainable economic system, and to me does not justify killing an animal. Now, if you catch em in the act, that would be another story, but I'm sure that would be too much work

Old 04-12-2012, 02:39 PM   #10

Liked 341 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatTire View Post
Does it make sense to you that 300 wolves take more elk than all the hunters do? That dog don't hunt for me
The deer and elk in Idaho are just like corn in Nebraska. If the number of permits are reduced each year and the hunters stop coming to Idaho, then the wolves are killing a lot of business. Whitetail hunting in Texas is a 200 million dollar industry. The biggest problem in Idaho is the wolves were protected in the courts for too long. Now that we have had some hunts, things will balance out and all will be good. But when the wolf was protected and they just kept reducing the number of elk tags each year people were getting upset. The other strange thought for some people is nature doesn't control this, man does. Man brought this large canadian wolf to Idaho in a truck. This large wolf was never here before, and they do eat the sick and weak, and then they eat the next weakest. BUT HALF THE HEARD ISN'T SICK OR WEAK !!!

One wolf eats two elk a month, so 24 elk a year. so 300 wolves take 7200 elk a year.

Last edited by Flat Tire; 04-12-2012 at 02:45 PM.