Coyotes - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum >

Coyotes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2013, 03:37 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 2095 Times on 1163 Posts
Likes Given: 6257

We find for the most part, the coyotes stay away from the house.
I also find that once in a while a lone coyote or two get a bit braver and come in for the chickens, ducks and geese.

I will dispatch one that has become aggressive, coming in close and eats my birds.

I don't mind the raccoons, coyotes or other critters, up until they start killin'

Old 08-19-2013, 03:49 AM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 544 Times on 328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool

Good info.
Ya it has to do with galvanize nail and the fish oils that make it poisonous to them. Also make it so the can spins when the lick it.

"I'm an A**hole"

Old 08-19-2013, 07:56 AM   #23
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3387 Times on 2291 Posts
Likes Given: 710

There is a pack of them living on the Mtn. just north west of my Development, and at LEAST 1 Pack of Javalinas as well as a few Bobcats....we keep the 20Ga. Semi Auto & Her(wife's) new .410/.45LC loaded but secured,,as well as some Mags for my Mossberg 702 Loaded with Anguila's new "Supermaximum" 22 Round (1750fps) also good as a back up if more then 1 person home invaders.
we had a little "scary" action the other night about 3:45,...I had packed it in from writing around 2:30 ish and when I last looked at the clock it said 2:51...

About 3:45 wife wakes me up and says " Something is out by the garbage cans and Gator is Barking and growling...."

So figuring it was probably one of the pet's next door I put on my house sandals,..then i hear the whine of a female cat and the lower growl of something not "house" broken,...I pause,..and beside taking my LC9 and 3 spare clips,..I get the Mossberg SA-20 out of the Mid sized of my 3 safes. The "bag" of shells I kept with the Shotgun were mostly of the SD type,. so I unloaded 2 SD slugs and one 00 Buck rd. out of the gun and replaced it with 3 #4 shot rounds,...and stepped out the back Door in to the Yard when I Instantly heard a "Crash." One of the trash cans had been knocked over and had glass in it which toppled out.

There were at least 4 cats out there. The Female from next door was being attacked by 2 Feral Male strays when they all were faced by a Larger Bobcat(at least 25 lbs!) looking for some food of it own and decided to Fight the two Stray Feral Males for the female house cat. I could hear the Cats's owner "J" from next door crying about here cat getting eaten alive..I lit the 180 lumen flashlight on the front of the Mossberg and I saw a terrible sight! The Female (her name was Precious, RIP) laying on her side Bleeding & Dying from several bite and scratch marks,....The two Feral Males trying to out tactic the Bobcat who was Growling Low But Quite audible, and The Ferals HISSING loudly. the Light scared the two Ferals off but not completely clear of my driveway, while the bobcat(Female) Stood there as if she was going to stare me down or attack me. I shone the Light into the Bobcats's eyes but fired low in front of her,..And she took off like a 747 at Sky Harbor, as well as the two Feral males deciding that dinner was over. Now of course I would be up the rest of the night as I discharged my Shotgun. Local Town Policeman was nice, and as I was within my rights, did not relieve me of my $600 shotgun....County animal control came by about 5 am to remove Precious' remains...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Last edited by DrFootball; 08-19-2013 at 10:37 AM.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

^^^ And this kind of situation is why my cats sleep inside. Outside, things don't go "bump" in the night; they are quieter and more dangerous. Though orangello is probably over 25 pounds nowadays; I would be betting on the bobcat.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:13 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello
^^^ And this kind of situation is why my cats sleep inside. Outside, things don't go "bump" in the night; they are quieter and more dangerous. Though orangello is probably over 25 pounds nowadays; I would be betting on the bobcat.
This is Housecat #3 that she has lost to local "wildlife." We tried explaining to her it was better to keep them inside(2 Cats & 2 Dogs)...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 08-19-2013, 10:30 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
This is Housecat #3 that she has lost to local "wildlife." We tried explaining to her it was better to keep them inside(2 Cats & 2 Dogs)...
Mine are fine on the porch during the day, but I get them in before dark. I'm pretty attached to them; I would need to be restrained from killing whatever got them by whatever means available.

Maybe you could pick her up a yellow kitten at the shelter and drop it off with the nametag "MUSTARD" or "BANANA" or "curry".

Old 08-25-2013, 02:11 AM   #27

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts

My 4 grown Great Pyrrennes have taken out 11 coyotes and 2 bobcats this year without any casualties on our side. These are great wonderful dogs who protect our animals and property. The runt of the pack is 112 pounds. They are important members of our family.
People Like This 
Old 08-25-2013, 07:47 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye3030
My 4 grown Great Pyrrennes have taken out 11 coyotes and 2 bobcats this year without any casualties on our side. These are great wonderful dogs who protect our animals and property. The runt of the pack is 112 pounds. They are important members of our family.
So is Our GATOR(an Old English Bulldogge) but he is worthless against other animals as he's deathly afraid of other 4 Leggeds....good "watchdog" tho esp. around those 2 leggeds with "Bad Intent"
image-3725523961.jpg  

People Like This 
Old 09-06-2013, 12:51 AM   #29

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

We're overrun with them....they're even coming into towns across the Midwest.Coyotes are BIG here in Jackson County, Ohio(not the smaller western type) and are thinning the grouse and rabbit populations badly.
I say kill èm all and let God sort èm out! They are never gonna be eliminated in my area. A 22 magnum or larger is what I'd recommend. don-ohio (:^)

Last edited by don-ohio; 09-06-2013 at 12:53 AM.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:42 PM   #30

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG7IL View Post
We find for the most part, the coyotes stay away from the house.
I also find that once in a while a lone coyote or two get a bit braver and come in for the chickens, ducks and geese.

I will dispatch one that has become aggressive, coming in close and eats my birds.

I don't mind the raccoons, coyotes or other critters, up until they start killin'
You are correct on that one. We have had our share of chicken eating coyotes. It has always been a single coyote that is the chicken killer. Once a livestock eating coyote makes it's presence known we have it boxed in with a couple phone calls. We never kill more than one coyote that is coming right up to the house. Most of the coyotes we kill appear to be healthy but that doesn't mean the coyote didn't have physical issues.