Coyotes
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Coyotes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Default Coyotes

Need some help. I live in a subdivision in Alabama that has recently acquired some new wildlife. The subdivision I live in is a nature/wildlife subdivision by which I mean that you have all the houses together 3 lakes, a creek, woods and a nature trail. So we see lots of wildlife eventhough we are still close to a city area. So within the last week I have seen/heard coyotes out around the lake that I live on. And I want to know what is the best way to rid the whole subdivision of them, kinda a personally goal. I want the most effective way shooting scaring them off I don't care. I have an 11-week old puppy and a 4- year old daughter.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #2

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

You'd be well advised to find out about the legalities of the possible endeavor...

In some states, coyotes are protected...no, really...

Do you have laws regarding shooting within a certain distance of a dwelling/roadway or within city limits?

Have an HOA? They may...or may not...have some input...

Contact local law enforcement/wildlife commission...

Eliminate what food sources you can...mainly garbage...and have your neighbors do the same. Coyotes, or most any animal for that matter, don't want to interact with humans but if there is a constant food source available, they'll come a runnin'...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 08-12-2013, 02:17 PM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

In Alabama they are varmints with no closed season. I'm checking on the whole discharging a firearm thing with the local PD. Just wanted options if that wasn't a possibility. HOA wants them gone they even tried to remove the beavers because of a complaint but it didn't work.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:24 PM   #4

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

A lot of animal advocacy groups will be more than happy to trap and re-locate...maybe try that route?

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 08-12-2013, 03:03 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2014 Times on 1191 Posts
Likes Given: 971

Quote:
Originally Posted by OandB View Post
Need some help. I live in a subdivision in Alabama that has recently acquired some new wildlife. The subdivision I live in is a nature/wildlife subdivision by which I mean that you have all the houses together 3 lakes, a creek, woods and a nature trail. So we see lots of wildlife eventhough we are still close to a city area. So within the last week I have seen/heard coyotes out around the lake that I live on. And I want to know what is the best way to rid the whole subdivision of them, kinda a personally goal. I want the most effective way shooting scaring them off I don't care. I have an 11-week old puppy and a 4- year old daughter.
You did not be very specific about your location. I too live In Alabama. PM me and we can make contact and discuss this further.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 08-12-2013, 03:11 PM   #6
Cancer Killa
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: -1 reviews

Liked 361 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 645

God created suppressors/silencers for a reason.

Owner/Armorer at Argyle Armoring, LLC - FFL 07
NRA Life Member
What do I know? I'm only a professional.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:51 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 762 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 786

2 words....
bait ....and....patience.

Jim

People Like This 
Old 08-12-2013, 06:37 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 536 Times on 314 Posts
Likes Given: 165

I have coyotes that live in my backyard. For the most part, they don't bother anyone and seem especially afraid of people. That being said, I wouldn't try to make friends with any of them. We also have a lot of chipmunks, rabbits and turkeys. I guess the coyotes are well fed and our mammal population doesn't seem to be suffering any. In fact, we have more rabbits running around this year, than we have ever had. All that being said, if you are really concerned about them, call the city/town you live in and let them worry about clearing them out. Talk with your neighbors and get them to call the city and complain as well. good luck to you

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

Old 08-12-2013, 07:25 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1867 Times on 1279 Posts
Likes Given: 691

You have to get very close and make a head shot but a 177 cal pellet rifle with a velocity of 1000 fps will thin the game eating bastards out.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 08-12-2013, 07:58 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Maybe you could use live traps and "dispose" of them in a more quiet and neighbor-friendly way than an outdoor gunshot. Fill a barrel with water and drop the full trap in the barrel; the trap should be submerged completely, rubber ducky optional.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.