Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Coyotes (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/coyotes-95308/)

OandB 08-12-2013 01:34 PM

Coyotes

Need some help. I live in a subdivision in Alabama that has recently acquired some new wildlife. The subdivision I live in is a nature/wildlife subdivision by which I mean that you have all the houses together 3 lakes, a creek, woods and a nature trail. So we see lots of wildlife eventhough we are still close to a city area. So within the last week I have seen/heard coyotes out around the lake that I live on. And I want to know what is the best way to rid the whole subdivision of them, kinda a personally goal. I want the most effective way shooting scaring them off I don't care. I have an 11-week old puppy and a 4- year old daughter.

vincent 08-12-2013 02:11 PM

You'd be well advised to find out about the legalities of the possible endeavor...

In some states, coyotes are protected...no, really...

Do you have laws regarding shooting within a certain distance of a dwelling/roadway or within city limits?

Have an HOA? They may...or may not...have some input...

Contact local law enforcement/wildlife commission...

Eliminate what food sources you can...mainly garbage...and have your neighbors do the same. Coyotes, or most any animal for that matter, don't want to interact with humans but if there is a constant food source available, they'll come a runnin'...

OandB 08-12-2013 02:17 PM

In Alabama they are varmints with no closed season. I'm checking on the whole discharging a firearm thing with the local PD. Just wanted options if that wasn't a possibility. HOA wants them gone they even tried to remove the beavers because of a complaint but it didn't work.

vincent 08-12-2013 02:24 PM

A lot of animal advocacy groups will be more than happy to trap and re-locate...maybe try that route?

JimRau 08-12-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OandB (Post 1333368)
Need some help. I live in a subdivision in Alabama that has recently acquired some new wildlife. The subdivision I live in is a nature/wildlife subdivision by which I mean that you have all the houses together 3 lakes, a creek, woods and a nature trail. So we see lots of wildlife eventhough we are still close to a city area. So within the last week I have seen/heard coyotes out around the lake that I live on. And I want to know what is the best way to rid the whole subdivision of them, kinda a personally goal. I want the most effective way shooting scaring them off I don't care. I have an 11-week old puppy and a 4- year old daughter.

You did not be very specific about your location. I too live In Alabama. PM me and we can make contact and discuss this further.

Argyle_Armoring 08-12-2013 03:11 PM

God created suppressors/silencers for a reason. ;)

phideaux 08-12-2013 03:51 PM

2 words....
bait ....and....patience.

Jim

gr8oldguy 08-12-2013 06:37 PM

I have coyotes that live in my backyard. For the most part, they don't bother anyone and seem especially afraid of people. That being said, I wouldn't try to make friends with any of them. We also have a lot of chipmunks, rabbits and turkeys. I guess the coyotes are well fed and our mammal population doesn't seem to be suffering any. In fact, we have more rabbits running around this year, than we have ever had. All that being said, if you are really concerned about them, call the city/town you live in and let them worry about clearing them out. Talk with your neighbors and get them to call the city and complain as well. good luck to you

John_Deer 08-12-2013 07:25 PM

You have to get very close and make a head shot but a 177 cal pellet rifle with a velocity of 1000 fps will thin the game eating bastards out.

orangello 08-12-2013 07:58 PM

Maybe you could use live traps and "dispose" of them in a more quiet and neighbor-friendly way than an outdoor gunshot. Fill a barrel with water and drop the full trap in the barrel; the trap should be submerged completely, rubber ducky optional.