Coyotes - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Coyotes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2014, 03:35 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 206 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Coyotes are attracted to easy meals, if your seeing them in broad daylight means they are sooner or later going to kill or hurt someone most likely a stranded motorist or child playing in their yard.
you mention they hang around the dogs you have behind uour home, how old are they?
dogs reach sexual maturity at 6 months
any females in heat will draw in coyotes, as there is plenty examples of Coydogs around, folks had a rather nasty one that was after shooting it in the sheep yard with 5 dead sheep and 8 wounded was pitbull/coyote mix, have heard of examples of poodle, german shep/alsation , black lab and rotwieler mixes with coyotes.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:34 PM   #12

Liked 444 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex in OTZ View Post
Coyotes are attracted to easy meals, if your seeing them in broad daylight means they are sooner or later going to kill or hurt someone most likely a stranded motorist or child playing in their yard.
you mention they hang around the dogs you have behind uour home, how old are they?
dogs reach sexual maturity at 6 months
any females in heat will draw in coyotes, as there is plenty examples of Coydogs around, folks had a rather nasty one that was after shooting it in the sheep yard with 5 dead sheep and 8 wounded was pitbull/coyote mix, have heard of examples of poodle, german shep/alsation , black lab and rotwieler mixes with coyotes.
Same here in Australia as there's plenty of proof of wild dogs with mixes of German Shepherd,Pit Bull, Kelpie, Cattle Dog etc in them. There hasn't been any deaths YET but there's plenty of story's of people being stalked and in some cases attacked by packs of wild dogs.

My nephew used to work as a driller at 1 of the coal mines about 3-4 hours away from me and they were told by mine management that if a car broke down in the middle of the scrub on the mining lease not to leave the car but call control and they'd send somebody out to retrieve them such was the menace from packs of wild dogs.

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

Old 06-27-2014, 06:18 PM   #13

Liked 293 Times on 233 Posts

Contact some gun shops in your area about any guys that coyote hunt. Get a couple guys to cover your area and maybe kill them out. Traps could take other things you don't want to loose, cats, dogs, bob cats .

See a coyote kill it if you can. . They will kill anything you have from smaller cows to horse's, pets and children. Never seen a state that had any coyotes protected. They do at times mate with dogs and now some wolfs and coyotes have made a new hybrid . Larger hybrids with the bad habits of coyotes.

Don't say they don't before checking first.

Old 06-28-2014, 05:43 AM   #14
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2075 Times on 1220 Posts
Likes Given: 4455

Last year we had a coyote killed the neighbors cat on my other neighbors front lawn. Coyote gutted the cat and took specific organs and ran away, this was 0630 hours (6:30 a.m.).

Remember, walking the dogs in the morning and a coyote was 50 yards behind, this coyote jumped on a tree and climbed a 9 foot wall in a blink of an eye.

This year, have not seen a single coyote. I have seen a crap load of rabbits under my neighbors shed and in the process driving our dogs and neighbors hound nuts.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:27 AM   #15

Liked 280 Times on 193 Posts

Coyotes are becoming more and more of a problem here. Pets are starting to go missing and I've found the half-eaten remains of two or three fawns here just in the last couple of months.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:38 AM   #16

Liked 767 Times on 535 Posts
Likes Given: 826

Here in NH, you need to register a bait pile, and only allowed in winter. Other then that they are fair game. They have breed w/ the Quebec wolf here in the northeast.
A 65lb male is becoming average. I believe the largest was about 85lb.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:06 PM   #17

Liked 293 Times on 233 Posts

85 yote would be one scare animal.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:47 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1306 Times on 635 Posts
Likes Given: 80

They are here in Central Florida. They are rarely seen, but some small dogs in yards, and outedoor cats have disappeared. When I take my dogs out at night, I always have a gun with me.

The Coyotes here are not howlers, as I will bet that brought trouble to them. I have seen one north of Tampa at my daughter's neighborhood, and a couple of car hit ones by the side of the road here. Otherwise they are pretty invisible.

A bad day at the range is better then a good day on the job!

Old 07-08-2014, 08:02 PM   #19
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3374 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Here they run in Packs...many pets vanish as meals for them....

Sent from my iPhone using CC Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 07-09-2014, 03:03 AM   #20
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2075 Times on 1220 Posts
Likes Given: 4455

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
Here they run in Packs...many pets vanish as meals for them....

Sent from my iPhone using CC Firearms Talk
No coyotes, we have rabbits!