Coyotes

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Coyotes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2014, 11:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 61 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Coyotes

We've had Coyotes around the community for several years now. Quite a few have been shot.
Last year and fall before, we had them come down near the rear porch.
This year we have some dogs, in a pen until we can give them away. Hasn't detered them one bit appears thec come near the pen to annoy the dogs.
They have apparently driven the turkeys and deer from our property. I don't like that a bunch.
Last evening I heard one give deep voiced call across the way. The dogs barked and the pack up on the hill sang. The voices seemed deep for a Coyote. Someone said they saw a wolf, somewhere, sometime around the larger area. I did see two many years ago chasing a deer almost, into my lap.
A feral kitten, that was hanging around the rear deck, cried terribly yesterday am, waking me up. It's gone. A coyote or Raccoon or even a Opossum may have gotten it.
I don't have the patience nor physically able, to sit in a probably site, in the woods, all evening

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-10-2014, 12:36 AM   #2

Liked 2604 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

The reason they ever expose themselves

around humans is the prospect of a meal,

for which they will take some abnormal risk.

Your animals are in danger of being eaten.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:56 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2029 Times on 1394 Posts
Likes Given: 771

+1..............

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 06-10-2014, 10:15 AM   #4

Liked 395 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Couple of options seem to be that you can try trapping them using a scent lure, setting up a bait station and waiting or trying a call system and get them to come to you.

Here in Australia we have a lot of problems with wild dogs and Dingos and a favourite method is to lay a set of traps around a scent or a bait and then shooting them in the trap so I can't see a Wolf or Coyote any different in that respect.

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

Old 06-10-2014, 06:57 PM   #5
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7652 Times on 4598 Posts
Likes Given: 9570

Where are you located at that you think you have wolves?

Old 06-10-2014, 07:33 PM   #6
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7676 Times on 4171 Posts
Likes Given: 16089

They breed faster than you can kill. Learn to live with them and keep those dogs fenced. Coyotes will sometimes send a female in heat to lure a dog into an ambush.

No offense and none taken

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 06-12-2014, 07:57 PM   #7
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1730 Times on 1065 Posts
Likes Given: 9211

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Where are you located at that you think you have wolves?
No idea where the OP is from Winds, but about 25 years ago Lake Erie froze over, and some of the wolves from southern Canada crossed the lake that winter into western NY, Ohio, and northwestern PA. I don't know if they are still around, but I got a few pictures of them during a squirell hunt on my uncle's land back in 89. haven't seen any since.

I'll see if I can find the pictures and the article that ran in the local paper about it. If i can, I'll scan and post the pics, and link the article.

Found an article from a 'cuse papre dated 3013.:

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2013/06/wolves_that_wander_into_upstat.html

Here's one about a wolf shot in Saratoga County in 2001. :http://www.watershedpost.com/2011/wild-wolves-return-new-york-state

And the news get worse. Some of the wolves and coyotes are breeding. :http://www.nbcnews.com/id/32976657/ns/technology_and_science-science/t/coyote-wolf-new-breed-predator/#.U5n4gfldV88

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

Last edited by kfox75; 06-12-2014 at 08:01 PM.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:36 PM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2680 Times on 1304 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

tin,

I would ask one question! Is it illegal in your state to bait predators and use a spotlight or night vision to shoot them?
If it is not illegal I have the answer for you so you would not have to set up all the hours and wait on the culprits to come.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 06-12-2014, 11:07 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2029 Times on 1394 Posts
Likes Given: 771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
tin,

I would ask one question! Is it illegal in your state to bait predators and use a spotlight or night vision to shoot them?
If it is not illegal I have the answer for you so you would not have to set up all the hours and wait on the culprits to come.

Only where coyotes are a native species are they protected by any game laws. You can kill a coyote in anyway you want that doesn't harm other species. Some states have blanket laws that protect all animals, even non game species. It is your duty to know the law.

Wolves are a different story. At one point wolves were a native species almost everywhere in the US. You need to contact the wildlife resources commission before shooting wolves.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 06-12-2014, 11:23 PM   #10

Liked 946 Times on 504 Posts
Likes Given: 704

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Only where coyotes are a native species are they protected by any game laws. You can kill a coyote in anyway you want that doesn't harm other species. Some states have blanket laws that protect all animals, even non game species. It is your duty to know the law.

Wolves are a different story. At one point wolves were a native species almost everywhere in the US. You need to contact the wildlife resources commission before shooting wolves.
Name one state that protects yotes. None that I know of. And what are these blanket laws you mention as EVERY state has hunting seasons on a variety of animals.

USMC 74-78

People Like This