Coyote Rifles - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum >

Coyote Rifles


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 10:40 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,007
Liked 355 Times on 261 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
In my own experience, fairly well. I used to use a savage 110 in 270 win. for coyotes. I now use whatever rifle, shotgun, muzzel loader, or bow I take with me. With the 1903 springfield I use federal 55 gr. accelerators (.223 sabot) for 'yotes, But the 185 gr. soft points haven't been too damaging. I certainly would not use a .50 BMG though. That would be like using a 220 gr. lead hand load, made to drop elk in their tracks, on a rabbit. It would work, but you ain't gonna eat the rabbit afterwards. You would be lucky to find pieces of it.
You're wasting expensive bullets.
Shoobee is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:21 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
theropinfool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hooper,Utah
Posts: 512
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Whatever I can get my hands on. I'd use a rock if I had to. Just one guy in the cattle business's opinion.

I like to throw them in the back of my brothers truck when he's not around.
__________________
Wait, was this thing on?

Last edited by theropinfool; 01-22-2012 at 11:33 PM.
theropinfool is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:22 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jpattersonnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South central,NH
Posts: 5,197
Liked 775 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 842

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
How does coyote taste? Anything like dog?

And who wants a fur coat out of coyote?

If you have a sheep ranch, and the coyotes are costing you money, you would probably be more efficient using a baited trap. Traps never sleep.

... unless you actually plan to eat them, or make their pelts into coats.

Otherwise they are not worth the cost of reloading a high power round to bag them with.

Coyotes serve the niche of varmint control in nature, for smaller varmints, such as mice, rats, ground hogs, etc. If you plan to take over their jobs (as varminters) then you are going to spend a lot of money on ammo.

Coyotes are similar to hawks and falcons, in their environmental role.

If you just enjoy killing things, then the USMC has a great program waiting for you. Sign up and volunteer for Afghanistan. Then you can kill armed rags, in a fair gunfight. Ever thought about it?
Please stop smoking that Cali green! Why even venture here to the hunting forum if you are an anti hunter? A good friend had his prized male beagle snatched from right in front of him by a big Coyote. Tell him how good they are.
__________________
Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.
jpattersonnh is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:23 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jpattersonnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South central,NH
Posts: 5,197
Liked 775 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 842

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
You're wasting expensive bullets.
You don't hand load. Bullets are cheap.
__________________
Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.
jpattersonnh is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:24 PM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: oregon
Posts: 81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Take head shoots. in one ear and out the other. You get from the cape down to the tail w/ no holes. You also need to take the hide as a tube, not split down the belly. Winter coats are what buyers look for also.
normally go for head sometimes all i see because of the brush here. i don't worry to much about buyers my buddies girl and mother make all kinds of things out of animal hides so i just pass the fur on. you just slit it at the ends work your knife up to tube them
sksmerc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:30 PM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: oregon
Posts: 81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
How does coyote taste? Anything like dog?

And who wants a fur coat out of coyote?

If you have a sheep ranch, and the coyotes are costing you money, you would probably be more efficient using a baited trap. Traps never sleep.

... unless you actually plan to eat them, or make their pelts into coats.

Otherwise they are not worth the cost of reloading a high power round to bag them with.

Coyotes serve the niche of varmint control in nature, for smaller varmints, such as mice, rats, ground hogs, etc. If you plan to take over their jobs (as varminters) then you are going to spend a lot of money on ammo.

Coyotes are similar to hawks and falcons, in their environmental role.

If you just enjoy killing things, then the USMC has a great program waiting for you. Sign up and volunteer for Afghanistan. Then you can kill armed rags, in a fair gunfight. Ever thought about it?
theres more hides than coats i have people i give the fur to that use it for all sorts of things. and the do prey on some endangered species here in oregon and there is a huge surplus of yotes that cause hell all around here. ya just took my ASVAB for the army usmc doesn't like my tattoos but thank you for the referral.
sksmerc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:33 PM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: oregon
Posts: 81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
In my own experience, fairly well. I used to use a savage 110 in 270 win. for coyotes. I now use whatever rifle, shotgun, muzzel loader, or bow I take with me. With the 1903 springfield I use federal 55 gr. accelerators (.223 sabot) for 'yotes, But the 185 gr. soft points haven't been too damaging. I certainly would not use a .50 BMG though. That would be like using a 220 gr. lead hand load, made to drop elk in their tracks, on a rabbit. It would work, but you ain't gonna eat the rabbit afterwards. You would be lucky to find pieces of it.
i have my rem 700 tac 30-06 for bigger game il give it a try
sksmerc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:35 PM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: oregon
Posts: 81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagNasty1001 View Post
Smith & Wesson M&P-15 with a custom built bull barrel
what kind of range and groupings out of it. my friend has one but its set up for close combat kind of
sksmerc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:38 PM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: oregon
Posts: 81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theropinfool View Post
Whatever I can get my hands on. I'd use a rock if I had to. Just one guy in the cattle business's opinion.

I like to throw them in the back of my brothers truck when he's not around.
ha should take put one under neath his seat if its a old truck with a bench seat good fire you might not see him around so much or leave his truck unlocked
sksmerc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:41 PM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
theropinfool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hooper,Utah
Posts: 512
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sksmerc

ha should take put one under neath his seat if its a old truck with a bench seat good fire you might not see him around so much or leave his truck unlocked
All started cuz the dirty sucker was doing it to everyone else. He still thinks its one of his buddy's getting him back.
__________________
Wait, was this thing on?
theropinfool is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
skinning a coyote 1911beast Hunting Forum 3 12-30-2011 12:27 PM
M70 Coyote USEBOTHHANDS General Rifle Discussion 1 01-28-2011 12:43 AM
Coyote in the air. sarge_257 Hunting Forum 1 09-20-2010 08:59 AM
Coyote easterner123 Hunting Forum 5 06-15-2009 03:58 AM



Newest Threads