coyote hunting techniques? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > coyote hunting techniques?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2012, 10:37 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

You may be surprised at how quickly the coyotes get on that horse. I wouldnt wait. If you have a normal coyote population, they will come in from miles away and they will clean that critter up in a couple of nights. I was working predator damage control in SW Kansas in the early '90's and a rancher lost a horse and took it out onto the Cimmaron River edge, and the coyotes came in and cleaned that horse up in one night. We called and shot over a hundred coyotes there in the next 30 days. We did not suspect that the population was that heavy.

NRA Life
Whittington Center Life
Times are tough, ammo is expensive, there will be no warning shots.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:46 PM   #22

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by W. C. Quantrill
You may be surprised at how quickly the coyotes get on that horse. I wouldnt wait. If you have a normal coyote population, they will come in from miles away and they will clean that critter up in a couple of nights. I was working predator damage control in SW Kansas in the early '90's and a rancher lost a horse and took it out onto the Cimmaron River edge, and the coyotes came in and cleaned that horse up in one night. We called and shot over a hundred coyotes there in the next 30 days. We did not suspect that the population was that heavy.
Thats a good take on the yotes i won a yote challange in southeast colorado last yr down by Kim Colorado, as a team we took 76 yotes in 3 days, killed 39 our first day. That was the most we have ever killed in a 3 day comp. Man i was walkin tall big gun style that weekend

Old 07-17-2012, 11:32 PM   #23

You dun gud, pilgrim. They are thick down there. This horse deal was just down the river from there by Liberal, just before the Cimmaron turns into Oklahoma. No one had noticed that population before then. PM coming.

NRA Life
Whittington Center Life

Old 07-18-2012, 12:30 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2112 Times on 1141 Posts
Likes Given: 3177

After field dressing a deer or hog i watch the gut pile and wait for the coyotes to come in. Works pretty good too.

BTW: We had a coyote in the neighborhood killing dogs and cats. That big coyote marked my truck in the driveway: i set three leghold traps in the truck bed with the tailgate up, put out some bad venison in the bed and caught the sucker. My eastern raised neighbor had a fit when i killed that coyote with a crossbow.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:40 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by W. C. Quantrill
You dun gud, pilgrim. They are thick down there. This horse deal was just down the river from there by Liberal, just before the Cimmaron turns into Oklahoma. No one had noticed that population before then. PM coming.
I haul cows alot into liberal, holcomb, garden city are like my second home

Old 07-18-2012, 12:47 AM   #26

Oh yeah, you have hit the docks at Nasty Beef then. I know exactly what you're saying. That coyote ordeal we got into was just 8 miles down the river to the east, where you cross it on 83, there, north of Liberal. Ha! You need a gunner in the large car with you.

NRA Life
Whittington Center Life

Old 07-18-2012, 12:59 AM   #27
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2560 Times on 1251 Posts
Likes Given: 1286

Bolt,

Quantrill is correct you need to start at least monitoring the horse right away. And as he said depending on how many Yotes you have in the area depends on how long it will take them to devour the horse. Also consider other animals and birds like turkey vouchers, possums. coons, fox, crows, pigs for sure and any other critter that eats meat.
I also have a Fox Pro and some mouth calls. If you get a call in the future we can give you some pointers on that! But go kill those Yotes!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 07-18-2012, 01:02 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2112 Times on 1141 Posts
Likes Given: 3177

Maybe Oklahoma coyotes are picky or something; i sometimes see dead hogs and cattle that have not been eaten on by coyotes. For some reason the coyotes just will not touch certain animals.

One ranch i hunt is over run with coyotes that will not touch a dead cow.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:41 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsaqr
Maybe Oklahoma coyotes are picky or something; i sometimes see dead hogs and cattle that have not been eaten on by coyotes. For some reason the coyotes just will not touch certain animals.

One ranch i hunt is over run with coyotes that will not touch a dead cow.
Most yotes wont touch a dead cow, hell they kill my calves for sport but dont eat them, but to teach the damn pups how to hunt i have watched them kill a calf play with it the run off to another one.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:16 AM   #30

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLWilson View Post
If the horse was treated with antibiotics befor it died the coyotes likely won't touch it. If not, just be ready at dawn and dusk as these are the likely times you will see them with any daylight. With a good light you could shoot after dark, but you will have to be closer, say within 100 to 50 yards.
Don't do it in Kentucky...