coyote hunting techniques? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum >

coyote hunting techniques?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2012, 06:13 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

There's no way not to have fun with this gun

Old 07-17-2012, 06:58 PM   #12
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3700 Times on 1782 Posts
Likes Given: 1816

Bolt,

Nice Rifle! I have never owned a Howa but from all I have heard they shoot very well. I know they made the Weatherby Vanguard for Weatherby so they can be shabby at all!
When Yote hunting there are two things that will give you away.
1. Scent & Wind combined. They will normally always come in from down
wind. They are true cagey, adversary, predator with a nose out of this world.
2. Any Movement! Any movement at all must be very slowwww! and deliberate.

If you are upwind of the horse your sent should be partially masked by the smell of the horse. But a little masking sent does not hurt either. Deer Sent or what ever as long as it is natural to the area.
Since you are going to be 150 - 200 yards off if the terrain allows it. Find a good rest, shooting sticks or Bi pod. I would get there just before day light maybe 1/2 Hour before light (Be quiet) and stay for a couple of hours after clear day light. If they are not on the Horse at that time when first light arrives stick it out. They would be apt to stop by that location on their return from the night hunt for a little snack before chilling out for the day.
And get there a few hours before sundown. What ever you do you do not want them to see you come in or leave. The old boys are very smart the pups are less smart but most die and only leaves the old yotes who did not survive by being stupid. Have fun and enjoy it. Oh by the way if you shoot one do not leave your position until you are ready to go. Sometimes we have shot three or more on the same set even after the gunfire.
*You might even get lucky and get a bonus as in my second picture that I have included. The Bobcat will normally just appear like a ghost. Normally always in the trees or fence line! And will usually set very still and quiet with out movement and watch before exposing himself for a period of time. So watch the area! Pay attention to items in the area. Because all of a sudden there will be something somewhere that was not there a minute ago! I am sure you probably have a few of them around!
Good Luck! But beware Coyote and Predator Hunting is ADDICTIVE!!!!
Nice Rifle!
Oh if you need to rotate it and edit your previous picture? Just Left Click on your picture in you picture file then Right Click and a screen will come up with a rotate on it and you can rotate it and then re-post it. It's fine as is but just to let you know if you post another one!

tx-coyotes-2011-2-.jpg   tx-rons-bobcat-face-view-2011.jpg  

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 07-17-2012, 07:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03
Bolt,

Nice Rifle! I have never owned a Howa but from all I have heard they shoot very well. I know they made the Weatherby Vanguard for Weatherby so they can be shabby at all!
When Yote hunting there are two things that will give you away.
1. Scent & Wind combined. They will normally always come in from down
wind. They are true cagey, adversary, predator with a nose out of this world.
2. Any Movement! Any movement at all must be very slowwww! and deliberate.

If you are upwind of the horse your sent should be partially masked by the smell of the horse. But a little masking sent does not hurt either. Deer Sent or what ever as long as it is natural to the area.
Since you are going to be 150 - 200 yards off if the terrain allows it. Find a good rest, shooting sticks or Bi pod. I would get there just before day light maybe 1/2 Hour before light (Be quiet) and stay for a couple of hours after clear day light. If they are not on the Horse at that time when first light arrives stick it out. They would be apt to stop by that location on their return from the night hunt for a little snack before chilling out for the day.
And get there a few hours before sundown. What ever you do you do not want them to see you come in or leave. The old boys are very smart the pups are less smart but most die and only leaves the old yotes who did not survive by being stupid. Have fun and enjoy it. Oh by the way if you shoot one do not leave your position until you are ready to go. Sometimes we have shot three or more on the same set even after the gunfire.
*You might even get lucky and get a bonus as in my second picture that I have included. The Bobcat will normally just appear like a ghost. Normally always in the trees or fence line! And will usually set very still and quiet with out movement and watch before exposing himself for a period of time. So watch the area! Pay attention to items in the area. Because all of a sudden there will be something somewhere that was not there a minute ago! I am sure you probably have a few of them around!
Good Luck! But beware Coyote and Predator Hunting is ADDICTIVE!!!!
Nice Rifle!
Oh if you need to rotate it and edit your previous picture? Just Left Click on your picture in you picture file then Right Click and a screen will come up with a rotate on it and you can rotate it and then re-post it. It's fine as is but just to let you know if you post another one!

Nice and I have seen a single bobcat once when I was pig hunting and have no clue how but it was me, my brother and a buddy of ours and total we shot at this bobcat 11 times!!! And 2 of the Scopes were dead on BC not 15 minutes later we saw about 6-7 deer and our buddy put a .223 right through the eye but this bobcat never fell and we hit it at least 4 times mystery to me but that thing was tough

Old 07-17-2012, 07:35 PM   #14
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3700 Times on 1782 Posts
Likes Given: 1816

Bolt,

They are tough and have a tremendous will to live! But also they are like most cats they have a lot of hair and are actually smaller than seem. Not that some of them are not big but they always look larger than they are body wise. I know what you mean. Even if they are hit good and can motivate at all they will try their best to get away. The one in the picture was hit at around 200 yards with my Remington 700 CDL 7 MM Rem Mag right behind the shoulder. DRT on this one. I was deer hunting in Texas at the time.
We killed three of them that week some of which we were actually varmint and coyote hunting. We also have several Bobs right here where I live in TN. But plenty of Yotes~ Good Luck on Your Hunt! Keep us posted!

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 07-17-2012, 07:39 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Put an exploding target in the dead horse and shoot the target when the coyotes are eating on it.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamakazi
Put an exploding target in the dead horse and shoot the target when the coyotes are eating on it.
They do sell some tannerite and the local gun store.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:45 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03
Bolt,

They are tough and have a tremendous will to live! But also they are like most cats they have a lot of hair and are actually smaller than seem. Not that some of them are not big but they always look larger than they are body wise. I know what you mean. Even if they are hit good and can motivate at all they will try their best to get away. The one in the picture was hit at around 200 yards with my Remington 700 CDL 7 MM Rem Mag right behind the shoulder. DRT on this one. I was deer hunting in Texas at the time.
We killed three of them that week some of which we were actually varmint and coyote hunting. We also have several Bobs right here where I live in TN. But plenty of Yotes~ Good Luck on Your Hunt! Keep us posted!

Thanks,and what about calls any ones that work well

Old 07-17-2012, 08:27 PM   #18

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamakazi
Yea, rolleyes

Old 07-17-2012, 08:30 PM   #19

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltguns4life

Thanks,and what about calls any ones that work well
Yes jack in distress or cottontail in distress ,also i use a locator an coaxer with alot of luck, 3 time New mexico state champ , an i dont use a fox pro call!!! Old school mouth calls only. My best call is homemade was not really hard to make but took some time tuning the sound its a yote killer for sure

Old 07-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster

Yes jack in distress or cottontail in distress ,also i use a locator an coaxer with alot of luck, 3 time New mexico state champ , an i dont use a fox pro call!!! Old school mouth calls only. My best call is homemade was not really hard to make but took some time tuning the sound its a yote killer for sure
Ill have to check some calls out next time I swing by academy