Coyote hunting in southern California?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Coyote hunting in southern California?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Coyote hunting in southern California?

Hey guys, I'm a Brand new hunter, just finished the class. I'm planning on going coyote hunting here in southern California but I'm not sure where to go exactly
I've been told, Mojave Desert, Angeles national forest
Which is better for a new hunter?
And can I just drive in and start hunting? Or do I need to contact a park ranger?

And what should I bring for a successful trip?
Decoy, calls...etc

Any information at all can help

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-03-2012, 06:20 PM   #2

Ask the Border Patrol, they probably could tell you.

Old 03-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #3

Cayote hunting is awesome but not easy! If i was you i would do alot of research on them. Practice your mouth calls and watch some videos so you can get an idea on cayote hunting. It took me many many trips before i got the hang of it. Practice and knowledge is the key to all hunting. As for hunting in South cali, never hunted there. My best advice would be to talk to the game warden in your area.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:19 PM   #4

Liked 939 Times on 501 Posts
Likes Given: 687

Just finished a class????

Old 03-05-2012, 01:51 PM   #5

Liked 341 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I would go and hunt without the gun. Go thru all the motions but leave the gun in the car. Go to the small town restaurants and make friends with the local farmers and ranchers. Private property is always better. To be successful you will need to put some time in. It will turn into who you know and not what you know. If you can get on the right pieces of property you will have better chance for fun, especially in Calif.