Coyote hunting
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Coyote hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 03:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Coyote hunting

I live in Nevada and plan on going on my first hunt this season and narrowed It down to coyotes simply because you don't need a tag here anyway I was wondering what you do with coyotes once shot, not many people eat their meat and some take their fur but what do most do or what do you do

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-15-2013, 04:05 AM   #2

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Honestly all I do is trow em in the ditch. If you live on a farm or ranch you can hang em on a fence post. It's supposed to keep the others away if it works or not I don't know.

If you really want to keep the furs you can sell them. Here in central Kansas you can sell a whole yoter unskinned for $10 if you skin and tan the hide you can get $20. May be more or less in Nevada I don't know.

Welcome to the world of hunting and good luck, dogs are a good place to start.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:42 AM   #3

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

You are obviously not from Nevada. Who in the hell eats coyotes? Coyote hides are only in "Prime" each winter before they rub the hair. Coyotes in sheep country are considered an expendable. They are left where they fall. If you do transport these dead coyotes be aware of the flea and tick infestation. I put the carcass in a plastic garbage bag and hold it over the tail pipe. The bag is tied closed and the carbon monoxide delouses the critter on the way home.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:34 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 987 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Leave em lay.. Pelt prices are in the tank.... I always use rubber exam gloves when handling and I Sevin Dust the pelts in a plastic bag on the way home fleas and tick are pretty nasty.. Oh and never eat Coyote nasty unless its the only thing left to keep you alive then I would prefer it tartare.

Become steel or get cut.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:39 PM   #5
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1361 Times on 691 Posts
Likes Given: 1015

Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms.

People Like This 
Old 10-16-2013, 12:04 PM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I personally wouldn't eat one. I think most people, if they keep anything, they keep the hide and that's what i would do,

Old 10-16-2013, 01:13 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 762 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 786

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7point62 View Post
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms.
Josey.

Jim
Old 10-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1274 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

I don't know about other states, but in Indiana there used to be a bounty on coyotes because they were too numerous, and were killing livestock, invading towns, and became a threat to children. They also were a big problem at airports because they would roam around and lounging around on the runways.
You could turn in a pair of ears and get $20.
They are a problem in S. Carolina, too, but I don't know what the bounty is. I'll try to find out then edit my post.
OK, I looked it up. There was a special hunt this year for coyotes, which allowed night hunting with lights and bait allowed. about a thousand hunters showed up. There was no bag limit. The special hunt will be repeated each year until the coyote population is reduced to a manageable level. No bounty, though.

Last edited by AIKIJUTSU; 10-16-2013 at 01:42 PM.
squirrelhunter Likes This 
Old 10-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #9

Liked 92 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Yesterday I was sitting in my favorite chair which faces a picture window overlooking a big field and woods (recovering from knee replacement). About 100 yards out in the field a adult doe flies by, I mean she is really haulin. Not far behind is 1 yote keeping pace (I have never seen this before). I didn't think yotes messed with adult deer and certainly not alone. I went out to see if there was more to see and the deer must have went into my swamp and the yote gave up but he was mulling around in the bean field. He looked at me, then went back to what he was doing. I went into the house, unlocked the gun cabinet, unlocked the ammo drawer, grabbed the Mosin and 2 rounds and went outside never expecting to see him (not moving very fast, still walking with a cane) and he was still there. Took a shot at him over the hood of my truck, about 250 yards, jerked the trigger and flinched, real smooth! Anyway he was in no hurry to leave but did work his way into the corn field. I went back in the house and put the gun away and guess who I see walking along the corn field about 15 minutes later. Knew I couldn't get out there before I would need to shoot over a road so I didn't bother. Really put a nice ending to an otherwise boring day.

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer

towboater Likes This 
Old 10-18-2013, 02:10 PM   #10

Liked 101 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 146

1 day while deer hunting in a woods a doe and 2 young ones ran through about 75 yards away at full speed. A few seconds later a lone coyote comes running through after them. Awhile goes by and 1 young one comes back and lays down about where they had ran through before,moments later the doe comes back and stands by the young one. I shot the doe but the other young 1 never came back,I assume the coyote probably got it.
Another time I was sitting in my stand and what we call a coydog (coyote and dog mix) came and just stood there staring at me. I shot him with the ML. They're dumber than a coyote and are more dangerous because they're not as scared either. They're not worth anything but we have a lot of problems with them around here.

NRA Member,NAHC life member,Indiana Rifle/Pistol Assoc. member

Last edited by squirrelhunter; 10-21-2013 at 12:01 PM.