coyote hunting - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > coyote hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 01:42 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 25 Times on 12 Posts

I guess it depends on WHY you are hunting dogs...
For the pelt? I'd go small. I've seen them taken with .17s with favored results. and 22.250 is another popular choice. Me, I have no real need or want for a coyote pelt, but I shoot a lot of them anyway. Probably my favorite critter to engage. (I piss alot of people off this way) I kill coyotes because if I don't, they will wreck havoc inside my fence line ( livestock )

At long distances, I favored my .270. For several reasons, flat trajectory being one. Now I use a .308 ( I know, oh my God how mean and brutal, boohoo)

But my favorite is an AR.

Again don't get all upset folks, but most times when I jump a dog I am in the truck and they take off, so I slam on the breaks and get out the AR. Fast follow up shots, fast bullet. And I usually walk my shots right up it's back end ( I know I know how unethical)

But again, I don't really hunt them, I manage the population. If you are in it for the pelt .222 is a great choice, and .223 is a great, more common choice. But again, a lot of things need to be factored in....

Old 01-13-2012, 01:49 AM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Papa, Papa, Papa

You got me laughing. I love the AR thingy running right up its back end. And there is absolutely nothing unethical about killing a coyote no mater how you do it. Period. The only good coyote is a dead coyote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Woody View Post
I guess it depends on WHY you are hunting dogs...
For the pelt? I'd go small. I've seen them taken with .17s with favored results. and 22.250 is another popular choice. Me, I have no real need or want for a coyote pelt, but I shoot a lot of them anyway. Probably my favorite critter to engage. (I piss alot of people off this way) I kill coyotes because if I don't, they will wreck havoc inside my fence line ( livestock )

At long distances, I favored my .270. For several reasons, flat trajectory being one. Now I use a .308 ( I know, oh my God how mean and brutal, boohoo)

But my favorite is an AR.

Again don't get all upset folks, but most times when I jump a dog I am in the truck and they take off, so I slam on the breaks and get out the AR. Fast follow up shots, fast bullet. And I usually walk my shots right up it's back end ( I know I know how unethical)

But again, I don't really hunt them, I manage the population. If you are in it for the pelt .222 is a great choice, and .223 is a great, more common choice. But again, a lot of things need to be factored in....

Fish, Hunt, Trap and then start all over again.
Life Member NRA, LKS, NWF, UTK, KFA
Annual Sponsor, DU QU, NWTF

Old 01-13-2012, 02:10 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by oletrapper
You got me laughing. I love the AR thingy running right up its back end. And there is absolutely nothing unethical about killing a coyote no mater how you do it. Period. The only good coyote is a dead coyote.
There are some of us out there still I see. Like wild pigs, coyotes have become a growing menace. They cause thousands of dollars of damage a year. There should be no season, there should be no tags. Just clean up what you kill.

I've shot coyotes with just about every gun I have owned.

And not EVERY coy is bad. A few years back my buddy jumped one coming out of a small rockpile/cave. Blew her clean open with his .44 mag
Come further investigation, she had one pup inside. I can't remember how young it was but he took it home, cleaned him up and kept it in the house. Turned out to be a pretty cool dog. Skiddish as all get up, can't be trusted with small animals( no kidding) and doesn't care for other people much, but is apparently in love with my friends wife and sleeps at her feet. Worthless dog if you ask me, has to stay in a fenced yard, but he considers it her dog and better than a purse dog. I've got a picture of it somewhere I'll gather up.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:00 AM   #24

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Most years here in Utah they'll run a bounty $20 for a set of ears. Dirty calf eaters. Kill em all. Wolves too.

Wait, was this thing on?

Old 01-13-2012, 04:29 AM   #25

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theropinfool
Most years here in Utah they'll run a bounty $20 for a set of ears. Dirty calf eaters. Kill em all. Wolves too.
???? $20 bucks for a set of ears??? Havent heard of that in yrs, I kinda doubt it but ok, got family in utah they have a guy works for the state dow as predator management make several trips per yr out to their place to trap but sure isnt $20 per set of ears

Old 01-13-2012, 10:36 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default They tried

They tried that years ago in Mo. or Ak. with beaver. $10.00 for a tail I think it was. Hell, they were getting beaver tails from all over the country and had to end the program. Good ole free enterprise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theropinfool View Post

Fish, Hunt, Trap and then start all over again.
Life Member NRA, LKS, NWF, UTK, KFA
Annual Sponsor, DU QU, NWTF

Old 01-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #27

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It's usually done by the counties not the state. They haven't done it since Obama put us in the toilet.

Wait, was this thing on?

Old 01-14-2012, 01:02 AM   #28

I used to get between 15 and 25 bucks per dog. It was per tail though not ears. Beaver by tail was 15.00 and rattlesnakes were 10.

I'd be rich off it 100 years ago. It usually covered my ammo and gas so I was happy