coyote hunting?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > coyote hunting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2010, 03:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default coyote hunting?

I am intrested in planning a coyyote hunt I. Plan on getting a 243 rem 700 sps
After ii get me a s&w 9mm with laserlyte its on sale for 350$ is that a good price?
I live in maryland whare is a close state I could go with a diecent yote population and guuid beacauuse of unfamiluuar place thanks
What guide website etc
State?
Hunt with rifle
Should I also bring my 12g
Should I bring 9mm to?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-09-2010, 03:39 AM   #2

An added benifit would be a clay range in the area for my condor supreme o/u

Old 08-09-2010, 04:13 AM   #3

Liked 740 Times on 515 Posts
Likes Given: 773

Your in for a shocker! You can start w/ a 12ga and a distress call, add a sqeeker too. About $15.00 for the calls. #4 lead works great for 35.. 40 yards w/ a full choke. If you want a long range rifle, the CZ527 varminter is hard to beat. The single set trigger is a dream. Mine is 6oz. That is like a breathe. For Eastern distances a .223 would be great. Ammo is still cheap if you don't reload and real cheap if you do. A good scope, in the $300.00 + range and a good bipod. I like Harris. Here is my rig. I started w/ a Bushnell scope, 4-16x42AO and it sucked for those dogs that were way out there, actually it just sucked. I put a Sightron SII 6.5-20x42mmAO on her and it is night and day. The difference in the scope price was more than double. Great low light and moon hunting. Here she is in all her glory....

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:14 AM   #4

there's coyotes everywhere nowadays....

aim small, miss small

Old 08-09-2010, 04:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Your in for a shocker! You can start w/ a 12ga and a distress call, add a sqeeker too. About $15.00 for the calls. #4 lead works great for 35.. 40 yards w/ a full choke. If you want a long range rifle, the CZ527 varminter is hard to beat. The single set trigger is a dream. Mine is 6oz. That is like a breathe. For Eastern distances a .223 would be great. Ammo is still cheap if you don't reload and real cheap if you do. A good scope, in the $300.00 + range and a good bipod. I like Harris. Here is my rig. I started w/ a Bushnell scope, 4-16x42AO and it sucked for those dogs that were way out there, actually it just sucked. I put a Sightron SII 6.5-20x42mmAO on her and it is night and day. The difference in the scope price was more than double. Great low light and moon hunting. Here she is in all her glory....
$300+ for a scope?! no need for that, spent 30 on my scope for my 30-30 and it still holds dead on after a year

aim small, miss small

Old 08-09-2010, 04:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbirdguy View Post
I am intrested in planning a coyyote hunt I. Plan on getting a 243 rem 700 sps
After ii get me a s&w 9mm with laserlyte its on sale for 350$ is that a good price?
I live in maryland whare is a close state I could go with a diecent yote population and guuid beacauuse of unfamiluuar place thanks
What guide website etc
State?
Hunt with rifle
Should I also bring my 12g
Should I bring 9mm to?
.243 Remington 700 around $700 (excellent gun)

5-25x50 Trijicon Accupoint scope $1200

Harris bi-pod $100

Ammo $30

Spell Check…….. Priceless!

Look me up if in Utah and I will guide for beer and gas money

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
-Ayn Rand

Old 08-09-2010, 05:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanGlass View Post
$300+ for a scope?! no need for that, spent 30 on my scope for my 30-30 and it still holds dead on after a year
So your 30-30 is a 300++ yard gun? Apples and oranges. I have other rifles I use, but this one is dedicated. It will clean their ears.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:43 AM   #8

jpattersonnh-
How do you change your call tactics for night hunting? I live in northern VT and am tempted to try some moonlight hunting this winter. No lights allowed period so I'll need to pick some bright nights.

I have coyotes everywhere around the house, it's not even a challenge any more really. Shot one a month ago as it laid in an open field at noon watching the cows across the road. Watched me park, get out, grab my rifle and walk to the edge of the field at 125 yards. Never flinched until the 60 grqain VMax got there. They're getting VERY brave up here.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 08-09-2010, 08:41 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

From what ive heard the SPS is a great rifle, if you have a good 200 yards where you are going to be shooting id get that, put an average scope on there and a harris bipod and you should be set to varmint control!

Old 08-09-2010, 09:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcreep927 View Post
jpattersonnh-
How do you change your call tactics for night hunting? I live in northern VT and am tempted to try some moonlight hunting this winter. No lights allowed period so I'll need to pick some bright nights.

I have coyotes everywhere around the house, it's not even a challenge any more really. Shot one a month ago as it laid in an open field at noon watching the cows across the road. Watched me park, get out, grab my rifle and walk to the edge of the field at 125 yards. Never flinched until the 60 grqain VMax got there. They're getting VERY brave up here.
I don't use lights either. On a good moonlit night w/ snow on the ground you are at an advantage. Your scent drops and you can see them like it is dawn. We can bait here in the Winter. You will have to pick a warm night, above 20 to really have some fun. It gets cold quick laying in a concealed position and calling them in. It can take a few hours. I don't really change tactics, but baiting them really does produce. The Big bastards we have here in the North east are a cross between a coyote and the Quebec wolf. The are blood hungry and will take chances. An onion sack full of pig hearts and livers staked in a feild works great. To get the full effect let them ferment a few days in a 5 gallon sealed bucket in your basement or mud room. Stake them in the morning and return and set up before the sun sets. A semi auto rifle really helps to take more than 1. Let a few move in and start fighting, then pop them all. I use my CZS to get them to com into a field. What kind of scope do you use?