coyote calling
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > coyote calling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2013, 09:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default coyote calling

So I just got an electronic caller, but have very little experience with them. I am curious how you guys use it? Do you put a rabbit call on and just let it go? Do you mix it with silence and yelps? I've been out a few times with mouth calls, but never had much success, so I'm hoping this will help a little.
Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-25-2013, 10:03 PM   #2

Liked 346 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The guy I go out hunting with likes to make stories with his callings.......oddly enough it works. He'll go between a rabbit, and what I call a gathering call. It's basically a bunch if dogs barking and tipping and calling in others to get ready for a hunt. Normally he'll do five or ten minutes, then sit in science and let the second call go for just as long.

......other times we just get bored of not seeing anything and use random calls. Some work and some down so it's entirely up to you to see which work best for your area.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:04 PM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

That's good to know. Thanks. The only time I've been out with a guy using an electronic caller, he just put on a jack rabbit squeal and let go until we were finished. It seemed like a lot of rabbit calling though. I'll have to try making up a story. Sounds funner anyways.

Old 12-28-2013, 04:02 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2563 Times on 1251 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

kalboy,

This is how I do it. I have a Fox Pro, a mouth call and a mouse squeaker.

To start with one must enter an area that is known for Dogs.
I always wear Camo including gloves and a face mask. Your skin will glow like a light beacon in the light. And if you move at all the dogs will pick up the movement instantly.
I also use a light masking scent like rabbit or other mild scent like earth or other.
I start off with the Fox Pro usually using the cottontail rabbit distress cry in very low volume. I play if for about a minute. Then shut it down and set and wait for 2 -3 minutes. Then repeat it a couple of times. If nothing responds either by coming or by audible sound which they sometimes will do as they are coming and especially if there is more than one dog coming. They will sometimes talk back and forth on the approach. If nothing responds I increase the volume a little and repeat the procedure. If nothing has came in 30 minutes or so I wait for a length time before moving and leaving. This because if they realize you are calling by coming in and watching you have just educated them and they will be difficult to call in the next time.
I have a philosophy.
Coyotes: I call as above with the intermittent method and volumes
Bobcats: Bobcats seen to respond differently. The calling volumes need to be the same but the cats require more busy time to keep them interested. It seems if you call and wait a length of time between calls they become less interested. So if I am calling Bobcats I let the call run more with little interruptions. And keep my eyes peeled for anything out of place in the surroundings. They will normally appear like a Ghost out of the clean air and all of a sudden be there. Unlike the Yote who will either run or trot into the area the cat will crouch and sneak in. And sometimes set in the brush thinking they are hidden watching for the target. An example of what I am saying they are the masters of stealth! And will blend in with the foliage and weeds amazingly. I was watching a small clearing in the woods on one occasion and all of a sudden a stump seemed to appear at the edge of the woods that had not been there before! You guessed it! Old Bob was scouting the area for the prey before coming in. Well he is no longer with us! Have fun and be prepared for a real challenge. Cold winter days are best due to the fact they hunt day and night for food not just at night!
Good Luck!

texas-coyotes-2012.jpg  

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 12-30-2013, 12:23 AM   #5

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

I've been calling up in the Texas panhandle and did not have a whole lot of luck using distress calls during Oct/Nov. The area is ripe with jackrabbits and field mice. The temps other than for a week have been semi mild in Dec and I switched away from the distress calls and went to more female invites and howls on my Primos E-caller. As soon as I made the switch I have had much better luck. The only thing I can think is the cold weather hasn't made them desperate due to plentiful food but that as we approach breeding season they are responding better to the coyote calls. I'm not saying I'm the foremost source on predator hunting, just one man's opinion. The pic below is the last one I got and my tools of the trade. I got him about midnight on a full moon night with temps about 45. Wind was at my back and caught him flanking me at 3oclock at about 60 yards.

image-823681821.jpg  
Old 12-30-2013, 12:35 AM   #6

Liked 2194 Times on 1292 Posts
Likes Given: 475

+1 on the strategy if trying to create a scenario with your calls. A distressed rabbit call, followed by a coyote curiosity call, or coyote challenge call, like a you're calling in another coyote to share in the meal, or challenging an intruding dog for the meal, can be effective. Follow that up with a wounded coyote howl, like someone list a fight, and you might get some curious yotes coming to check things out.

To learn more about making different communication calls of coyotes, and building scenarios, you might check for some predator calling videos with Eandy Anderson. Speaking the Truth series, are pretty good about explaining different calls and trying to think like a coyote. Discusses times for different calls, like during the mating season, during the early litter seasons, and during the lean food times.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:38 AM   #7

Also when calling coyotes with the e-caller I might use a call for a minute or two tops and then normally leave it silent for 2-3 minutes. Start calling softly, increasing in volume as the set goes on if you haven't had a response. If I hear any type of answer calls then I usually stay at that volume because I know they can hear me. Pay attention to the wind, if you have a brisk wind and you hear the dogs down wind, it's amazing how far and clear the sound will travel so don't blow them away. If you suspect they may be behind you and the wind is stiff, most likely they will circle around to you to get down wind but you might need to increase volume initially so they can hear the call into the wind if they didn't respond right away.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:50 AM   #8

Doc, I posted my second comment before I saw what you put. You're spot on, from the posts that I've seen of yours you seem like the kind of guy that has a solid base of knowledge on a lot of topics. Keep it coming man, I've learned a lot through these forums.

Old 12-30-2013, 04:45 PM   #9

Liked 2194 Times on 1292 Posts
Likes Given: 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie_6Shooter View Post
Doc, I posted my second comment before I saw what you put. You're spot on, from the posts that I've seen of yours you seem like the kind of guy that has a solid base of knowledge on a lot of topics. Keep it coming man, I've learned a lot through these forums.
I dabble a lot.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:23 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1600 Times on 1095 Posts
Likes Given: 555

I use a homemade rabbit squeal and a squirrel call. They both draw coyotes the first few times I hunt an area. Coyotes get wise to calls very quick. Calling does make for an exciting hunt. In this area coyotes are usually very close before I see them.

All and all I kill more coyotes by riding real slow along the edge of fields and logging paths. Usually I get a tip from a landowner that has been seeing the coyotes on a regular basis. Coyotes are not considered game animals in NC. Hunting from motorized vehicles is legal. One would have to screw up big time to get a ticket from the local game warden while coyote hunting. He hates coyotes with a passion.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato