Coyote attacks - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Coyote attacks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2013, 03:15 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 636 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 406

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
There's been some aggresive coyotes lately in B.C. with some people bitten, often while out walking pets.

James, whose coat was torn up and left hand injured during the incident, has been recovering at home since it happened.

Beck recalls going out to the same area about five or six years ago when coyotes were killing sheep.

Last year, aggressive coyotes were dealt with in Penticton. A woman was also bitten at the mine site in Princeton in 2012.

In 2013, there have been two coyote attacks in Kamloops, he said.

There continues to be a healthy population of the animals in the South Okanagan, and according to Beck, most of the coyote issues that take place involve people walking their dogs, smaller dogs in particular.........

http://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/104698/Coyote-cull-begins-following-attack

A couple years ago, coyotes killed a woman in N.B. or N.S.

I can't remember ever hearing about such a thing until several years ago when it started, IIRC.

Is this kind of thing being seen south of the border, too? What do you make of it? Not enuf coyote hunters?
Its to bad these people can't arm themself, coyotes make a good throw rug......

Criminals, thugs and dopeheads-Do not tread on me or my family

keep your liberals at bay, so the eagle can pick them apart.
People Like This 
Old 12-18-2013, 04:11 PM   #22

Liked 2452 Times on 1591 Posts

I let my lab out the other night, and all he did was sniff the air. He didn't even leave the deck, he was too scared. I looked around the next day, and there was fresh coyote tracks in my yard.

I saw another one this week standing on the edge of the road. I was driving so I didn't have a chance to kill it. I did slow down, and expected it to run. It didn't, so I stopped, it just stared me down, not scared at all.

I keep expecting to hear of an attack in my area, but thankfully, nothing yet.

Feral cat waterboarder

KG7IL Likes This 
Old 12-18-2013, 05:00 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1574 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 540

So far predators are mainly after chicken and food in trash cans. I don't have a trash can outside. I just take off the trash every couple days. I call the dog catcher when we have problems with fox, coyotes or feral dogs. He brings a cage type trap out. Once the dog catcher sets the trap and gets out of sight I put tuna fish in the trap. He will usually leave the trap for a week or so. He checks the trap daily and removes any animals in the trap.

I have tried to hunt the coyotes and fox in this area. Coyotes and fox are not as predictable as deer. They do use game trails but unlike deer, coyotes and fox are subject to appear anywhere in the fields I hunt.

Calling predators is a rush. Usually they are very close when I do see them. So close that I quit using a rifle when calling predators. I started using a shotgun with a full choke and whatever ammo I have leftover from turkey season. I can only call coyotes a couple times before they quit responding to a rabbit squeal. After that the dog catcher is more effective.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 12-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #24

Liked 1396 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
I let my lab out the other night, and all he did was sniff the air. He didn't even leave the deck, he was too scared.
My dogs are like that with a cat nearby. Heard one a few days ago yowling across the fence; none of them wanted to leave the garage. Can't say that I blame them.

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:11 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2794 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 1615

Default I understand your confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
The state of Pa. does not show 40,000 coyote per year harvested?

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=598430&mode=2
If you go to www.pgc.state.pa.us and scroll down to the bottom of the blue menu on the right-hand side of the page, you will find a search window that if you type in "coyote harvest report" , a list of pdf files pops up in a new window, scroll down to file number 9 or 10 and you will see one titled: GN201312 Small Game Furbearer Harvests.pdf. You will find the information I used in that file.

Here is the same information published in our official Pennsylvania Game Commission monthly, Pennsylvania Game News.
gamenews-1.jpg   gamenews3.jpg   gamenews4.jpg   gamenews2.jpg  

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

We are all biodegradable.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:18 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2794 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 1615

Here is a little grist for the "Coyote attacks" thread!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NqVE9qfg7yI

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

We are all biodegradable.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #27

Liked 287 Times on 193 Posts

I'm in northern wv and the coyote have started roaming through the yards in my residential area. There's a bunch of stray cats at the end of my road that I'm sure are drawing them in. I have even figured where i would have to stand to take a clean/safe shot on them due to other houses in the immediate area. Since im within city limits I would have to argue self defense for my family and pets. I was actually looking forward to skinning my first animal if i got one.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:24 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1574 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 540

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosaj View Post
I'm in northern wv and the coyote have started roaming through the yards in my residential area. There's a bunch of stray cats at the end of my road that I'm sure are drawing them in. I have even figured where i would have to stand to take a clean/safe shot on them due to other houses in the immediate area. Since im within city limits I would have to argue self defense for my family and pets. I was actually looking forward to skinning my first animal if i got one.
A head shot with a 177 cal pellet rifle that has a velocity of 1,000 fps will down a coyote or fox instantly. You still have to respect your neighbors.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 12-18-2013, 06:42 PM   #29

Liked 748 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

If you have serious coyote problem get a bunch of chicken that is on sale/spoiled and cover it in sodium nitrate. DO NOT LET YOUR DOG TOUCH THE STUFF. The sodium nitrate will oxidize in roughly 24 hrs but before that will kill the coyote.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #30

Liked 287 Times on 193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post

A head shot with a 177 cal pellet rifle that has a velocity of 1,000 fps will down a coyote or fox instantly. You still have to respect your neighbors.
I wouldn't want to wait 10 pumps before making a second shot if needed.....lol