Coyote attacks - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Coyote attacks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2013, 04:05 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1396 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
In Massachusetts the packs are running in huge numbers. Packs in the teens are now the norm. They tend to have feral dogs running with them now too.
Wow.

I haven't noticed or heard of feral dogs with coyote groups here, but larger than normal packs of coyotes are sometimes seen for sure and some of them seem a little larger than normal. They have come to my back fence (pagewire) more than once trying to get one of my dogs to come after one of them. I put an electric wire along the bottom to make sure that doesn't happen. My dogs are big but they can't take on several coyotes, which is what would happen after one of them was lured away.

My wife went out back a couple years ago in the middle of the night with a flashlight and a broom (I was sleeping) to shoo away some coyote that was at the back fence and had our dogs all riled up. She put a light on it, hollered and approached to within 25ft. It was bigger than she expected and stood it's ground. It challenged her. No more of that, I told her. If it wasn't for our handgun phobia laws up here, I'd have bought something handy and made up some subsonic loads for those middle of the night visitors.

Anyway, it's interesting to hear what's happening in the south is pretty similar. I agree with those who say more hunters are needed. FWIW, the deer would appreciate it.

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

Last edited by Rocky7; 12-15-2013 at 04:09 PM.

Old 12-15-2013, 05:07 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2102 Times on 1246 Posts
Likes Given: 1041

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
There's been some aggresive coyotes lately in B.C. with some people bitten, often while out walking pets.

James, whose coat was torn up and left hand injured during the incident, has been recovering at home since it happened.

Beck recalls going out to the same area about five or six years ago when coyotes were killing sheep.

Last year, aggressive coyotes were dealt with in Penticton. A woman was also bitten at the mine site in Princeton in 2012.

In 2013, there have been two coyote attacks in Kamloops, he said.

There continues to be a healthy population of the animals in the South Okanagan, and according to Beck, most of the coyote issues that take place involve people walking their dogs, smaller dogs in particular.........

http://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/104698/Coyote-cull-begins-following-attack

A couple years ago, coyotes killed a woman in N.B. or N.S.

I can't remember ever hearing about such a thing until several years ago when it started, IIRC.

Is this kind of thing being seen south of the border, too? What do you make of it? Not enuf coyote hunters?
Time for some rabies shots!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 12-15-2013, 06:42 PM   #13

Liked 1396 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

Yes, I suppose so....as a precaution. I don't these are rabid dogs, tho. There's something else going on.

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

Old 12-15-2013, 07:58 PM   #14

Liked 964 Times on 514 Posts
Likes Given: 751

Lots of coyotes in Ky. But they are the last critter I'm gonna worry about. I can see close to bigger cities where they might lose there fear of humans but here they are shot at and hunted year round. If you see one or more they are gone if they even sense you are around. Bow hunt 35-40 days a year in some pretty rural areas and don't pack a gun. They will take small dogs and cats if they can. Have seen them chasing deer also. But to be afraid of coyotes here is silly. Other areas may be different.

USMC 74-78

Old 12-16-2013, 01:42 AM   #15
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1839 Times on 1140 Posts
Likes Given: 10375

Can't speak for the rest of western NY, but in my area the number was way down until this year. I hunt on a couple different farms in my area, and the owners of said farms require all that hunt there to drop any coyote they see.

When I started hunting on my friend's farm in Pomfret, there were 3 dens on his land, each consisting of close to 20 coyotes. Over a 6 year span we were able to reduce this to one pack of about 7 to 10 members. Took a lot of time, patience, arrows, and bullets to do so. Since no one hunted his land this year and only 3 of us hunted it last year, the population has gone way up again.

It's not just there. I have a pack that comes through my back yard and the neighbor's field a couple times a week. There were 14 'yotes in the pack in October. between my friend who is living here, myself, my uncle, and the neighbor, we have been able to take out 5 of them since November. I haven't seen them in a couple weeks, but I can still hear them, up the road at a friend's mom's farm. We are going to put bait (road kill deer trimmings) out in the back 40 tomorrow, and see what we can get. talking with the other folks on our road, we have 4 missing cats since October, 1 missing dog, 2 calves were attacked one road over, and several chickens, geese, and ducks at the farm up the hill from us. We need to do something now that deer season is over, and coyotes are in season until March.

happy hunting. Go forth, and cull the packs!

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:45 AM   #16
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 922 Times on 428 Posts
Likes Given: 438

I don't see them often but I hear them frequently.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:40 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 151 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 150

I don't walk my dog or go to a dog beach or dog park without concealed carry. As a matter of fact, I don't leave the house unarmed. But in Canada, I understand that would be illegal, so I'd be left to the mercies of all critters, 2 and 4-legged. No thanks

Old 12-17-2013, 03:16 PM   #18
1911 .45ACP. . then there are others.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1914 Times on 1061 Posts
Likes Given: 5783

My brother lives about 4 miles from here.
He has a little rat dog, He has been in the practice of letting the little dog out for a run when he needs to go.

That has all changed. A couple of days ago, he saw a large coyote showing a stalking interest in that little yapper. He ran outside and clapped and yelled to run the coyote off, but the little sh!t dog seemed to be running to play with the coyote.

Two changes.
1) he'll keep an eye on the dog while it's out and
2) he bought a Ruger 10/22 for $199 and will keep it with him.

I always love a good reason to buy another gun!

Email your representatives USE THIS LINK

KG7IL

Old 12-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1460 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

I don't see coyotes round here much but then I don't hunt so I'm not sitting in the woods much but I do hear them a lot. I see one cross the road or in a cow pasture now and then but thats about it. I heard a pack yelping a few nights ago and is sounded like they almost came through my yard. Just the sound of them running and yelpping sends cold chills down my back.

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

KG7IL Likes This 
Old 12-17-2013, 04:04 PM   #20

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The state of Pa. does not show 40,000 coyote per year harvested?

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=598430&mode=2