Coyote attacks
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Coyote attacks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2013, 04:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1396 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

Default Coyote attacks

There's been some aggresive coyotes lately in B.C. with some people bitten, often while out walking pets.

James, whose coat was torn up and left hand injured during the incident, has been recovering at home since it happened.

Beck recalls going out to the same area about five or six years ago when coyotes were killing sheep.

Last year, aggressive coyotes were dealt with in Penticton. A woman was also bitten at the mine site in Princeton in 2012.

In 2013, there have been two coyote attacks in Kamloops, he said.

There continues to be a healthy population of the animals in the South Okanagan, and according to Beck, most of the coyote issues that take place involve people walking their dogs, smaller dogs in particular.........

http://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/104698/Coyote-cull-begins-following-attack

A couple years ago, coyotes killed a woman in N.B. or N.S.

I can't remember ever hearing about such a thing until several years ago when it started, IIRC.

Is this kind of thing being seen south of the border, too? What do you make of it? Not enuf coyote hunters?

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

Last edited by Rocky7; 12-15-2013 at 05:01 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-15-2013, 05:02 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3861 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

I know of this guy...a roadrunner...he can take care of your coyote problem

"Feuer Frei!"

People Like This 
Old 12-15-2013, 06:28 AM   #3

Liked 2216 Times on 1302 Posts
Likes Given: 484

There have been attacks across the Americas in more recent years. Coyote populations have groan and spread to places that they weren't even in a few decades ago. They out compete and outbreed some other predators like foxes. They will kill off competing predators like them and in rural areas they get bold from time to time and will attack humans, livestock, pets etc.

I think there has been a decline in hunters who understand managing wildlife, and that hunting is a part of making healthier herds, and flocks if game animals, and hunting predatory animals. Lots of folks hunt for trophies and go home.

Trapping has been largely maligned by people who really don't understand it. People still think foot hold traps break bones, cripple animals or cause them to chew off legs. They don't know about padded jaw traps, has stop traps, etc, that simply hold feet, maintain circulation and allow for unharmed release of non-target species. I've used these kind if traps in my own dogs to get them to stop digging in places. I wouldn't use them if it would do actual harm to my own pets.

Here in Washington, the only legal traps are cage traps. Coyotes get educated to them too quickly. I hear coyotes art night on a pretty regular basis in the nearby woods. I see missing cat pictures up in the neighborhood, too. Not much I am allowed to do to help in the area.

I plan I doing some coyote calling and hunting down near my inlaw's property a couple hours away, after the deer and elk hunters are done.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:43 AM   #4

Liked 277 Times on 192 Posts

The coyote population in my area has shot way up. Two years ago was the first time I've seen a coyote in my whole life. I ask some of the elder men in my family who say they don't remember every hearing of them here. One of my grandpa's brothers saw a bear here for the first time in his life, in this area, and he's 74. I've seen 7 or 8 and I'm only 19.

Old 12-15-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1226 Times on 835 Posts
Likes Given: 1244

There has been 25 people killed by domestic dogs so far this year, 1 by Wolf & 1 by Coyote, so which one should you be more worried about ?............

When all else fails.

KG7IL Likes This 
Old 12-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #6
The only democracy and friend in the region
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1777 Times on 991 Posts
Likes Given: 5366

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303tom View Post
There has been 25 people killed by domestic dogs so far this year, 1 by Wolf & 1 by Coyote, so which one should you be more worried about ?............

depends which one killed ya'

If I were killed by the wolf, that's the one that I would worry about.

I got 4 dogs right now (five if you consider the loaner dog we are watching).

I got coyotes (and racoons) going after the birds. Lost our biggest, nicest goose the other day.

I don't think they would attack me, don't know about the younger grandchildren, or my big dogs,

The little loaner dog, a chihuahua, is darn near bait.

Email your representatives USE THIS LINK

KG7IL

Old 12-15-2013, 01:48 PM   #7
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6175 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 6554

50 years ago there wasnt a Coyote in Central New York, a few wild dog packs here and there but no Coyotes and no Wolves. Were now over-run with Yotes and Wolves are starting to creep down from highlands as bigger prey like Farrel Pigs and Turkeys continue to rise in population.

So farm weve had no human attacks but they are taking small livestock down. I cant imagine 10 years from now if we dont turn these critters into rugs now.

Old 12-15-2013, 01:50 PM   #8
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

In Massachusetts the packs are running in huge numbers. Packs in the teens are now the norm. They tend to have feral dogs running with them now too.
Last time I camped out (couple months ago) I got about 2 hours of sleep due to the coyotes. A large pack had split into two groups about 6 per group and made three kills all around my camp that night. The racket was unbelievable.
About a week before that my buddy was hunting around the lake and he noticed a golden retriever and a bloodhound watching him. It turned out that they were working as scouts for the pack. Once he noticed he was surrounded he hightailed it out of there.
There are two things I fear in the woods, moose with young and coyotes. They are running in huge numbers and they are hungry.

I don't need No stinking signature.

People Like This 
Old 12-15-2013, 01:57 PM   #9

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The example of domestic dogs and wild animals such as coyotes are not comparable. There are millions of domestic dogs in close contact with humans every day.
The number of people exposed to coyotes or wolves is very small. Coyotes have been driven from much of their native range by the Grey Wolves and Mountain Lions. The coyotes are creatures of opportunity there is simply more food and fewer wolves in urban areas.
Coyotes have always attacked humans who were wounded or sick or children. Because most people live in Urban areas they simply lack the knowledge about wild predators. Urban dwellers have no idea of the impact that these predators have on rural western economies.
The Federal, State and private trappers and hunters harvest over 20,000 coyotes a year in Wyoming alone. In Texas the numbers are even higher.

Old 12-15-2013, 02:57 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2866 Times on 1665 Posts
Likes Given: 1691

According to the Pennsylvania Game Commission, over 40,100 coyotes were harvested by trappers and hunters in 2012 the last year statistics were available for at the time of my reading.

I've only seen 2 coyotes in PA/DE in my like, both in the last ten years. I'm seriously contemplating hunting those rascals after the PA deer seasons are over.

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

We are all biodegradable.

Last edited by eatmydust; 12-18-2013 at 05:22 PM. Reason: data correction