Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Coyote

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2012, 01:55 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 344 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My first coyote wasn't to long a go at all. Was maybe a week or so ago.
Since I started to work on a farm I asked my boss if itd be okay to carry my rifle with me, his reply was "of course, if you see any of those sows, shoot as many as you can." Ever since that day my Remington 770 has been with me, except for when on military property haying.

While cutting one meadow I seen a coyote walk out in front of my tractor, maybe 20 yards away from it. I found this a little odd since I was revved up at 2,000RPM and pulling what's essentially an over sized lawn mower behind me. After looking at the tractor he started to jog a little bit until he was about 70yards in front. Once I got the tractor stopped and made sure the guy who I was cutting with was well out of the front of my muzzle, I shouldered the rifle and shouted "hey" to get him to stop and look. This worked, but only for a split second.

Then I remembered being on the military meadows and how the yotes stop and stare for a good bit when I honked the tractors horn. Upon doin this he stopped with a perfect broad side shot, that's when I sent an 87grn Hornady V-max his way. Being my first dog I was so happy that I got a shot off and I was shaking from the rush. At the time I took the shot he was closer to 125 yards away.

After the shot I didn't see him and figured he took off running into the bush and I didn't notice due to my excitement. I cut up to the area I shot him and walked around to see if I could find his carcas but had no luck, so went back to cutting. After a couple trips around the field I seen an indent in the grass and not wanting to get stuck I hopped out to go see if it was a wet spot since we had rain most the week......there he was. Three hours later I had found my "prize". It turns out I didn't walk far enough to find him and that he had actually dropped on the spot from the shot going just behind his shoulder blade.

This happened in Alberta Canada, just outside of Wainwright.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:01 AM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2143 Times on 1344 Posts
Likes Given: 2160

Quote:
Originally Posted by USEBOTHHANDS View Post
the worst are skunks and coons. they will eat all the eggs and the hen if they can catch her.
I shoot every skunk I see, especially if I see them in the daylight. Skunks are notorious carriers of rabies, at least around here, and if you see them in the day time it's a pretty good indication something's not right. They're basically nocturnal. Shot one the other day my chihuahua was getting after, he thought he was a badazz. It was hilarious...

Old 09-22-2012, 02:05 PM   #33

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

My sister sent me a picture on her cell phone of a coyote right behind her house. I hunt and shoot out there all the time, my brother and I will blow tannerite too. The shooting and noise doesn't keep the animals away, once we saw a deer move thru right after firing about 20 rounds and blow a couple charges of tannerite.

audrie-coyote.jpg  

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 09-22-2012, 03:08 PM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido View Post
My first coyote wasn't to long a go at all. Was maybe a week or so ago.
Since I started to work on a farm I asked my boss if itd be okay to carry my rifle with me, his reply was "of course, if you see any of those sows, shoot as many as you can." Ever since that day my Remington 770 has been with me, except for when on military property haying.

While cutting one meadow I seen a coyote walk out in front of my tractor, maybe 20 yards away from it. I found this a little odd since I was revved up at 2,000RPM and pulling what's essentially an over sized lawn mower behind me.
This isn't unusual.I have seen yotes follow the equipment and snag up any small critters that get disturbed( This is why I have a weapon in the tractor cab).Flocks of seagulls will also come miles from water to follow a swather or combine and swoop down on the luckless mice that are exposed, killed or stunned in their wake.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:36 PM   #35

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Between coyotes and feral cats we have few game birds in the area. Hawks are not the problem. The only time we hawks is in the winter after the leaves have fallen. The upside to this picture is both the red tail hawk and the coyote feed on feral cats.

Coyotes are smart about farm equipment. I most often see coyotes when running a manure spreader. What they find in horse manure and shavings I have no clue.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-02-2012, 03:22 AM   #36

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow
Between coyotes and feral cats we have few game birds in the area. Hawks are not the problem. The only time we hawks is in the winter after the leaves have fallen. The upside to this picture is both the red tail hawk and the coyote feed on feral cats.

Coyotes are smart about farm equipment. I most often see coyotes when running a manure spreader. What they find in horse manure and shavings I have no clue.
I had read on this thread I believe, not certain for sure, that the coyotes search for mice after the farm equipment has passed through.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:48 AM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2143 Times on 1344 Posts
Likes Given: 2160

They do help keep a rodent population in check. We're getting a lot of pack rats on our farm these days and they can do a lot of damage, so in an instance like that, coyotes are sort of good to have around.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:09 PM   #38

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

Coyotes do have their place on the food chain, when they get too many and picking of pets and livestock, then we go yote hunting to keep the balance.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 10-02-2012, 09:46 PM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocshaman View Post
I shoot every skunk I see, especially if I see them in the daylight. Skunks are notorious carriers of rabies, at least around here, and if you see them in the day time it's a pretty good indication something's not right. They're basically nocturnal....
As a youth, i occaisional spotlight hunted rabbits (not legal or smart, i eventually realized). One night, while taking a #1 break, i turned and saw eyes within maybe five feet of me. I put them out with the shotgun. Then the smell hit me. When i punted the carcass into the creek, a beaver slapped tail and split.

I think that was the last time i went spotlighting rabbits. I had to ride home in the back of the truck.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

rocshaman Likes This 
Old 10-05-2012, 01:45 AM   #40

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

If you see a coyote kill it. They are not native to the areas they are the most numerous. Do mother nature a favor and kill the furry bastard.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/