Coyote - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Coyote

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotenator View Post
I have never seen or heard of a yote that didn't run from the sound of gunfire, especially around here where everyone will throw a shot their way when they see them.
See my tale in the other post. My wife fired a shot from a Colt New Service out a window at them and yes they did leave, but no, it wasn't running.

A decade ago I had an experience while armed of being surprised like you. I had gone out to a dead Oak tree I had chain sawed the day before for fire wood. It was early autumn. The wood cache was a ways from the house and deep enough into the woods so the wheel barrow or the front end loader weren't practical to bring to the scene. I've got a Charter Arms Undercover .38 in my back pocket. So there I am going back and forth to the front end loader with arms full of wood. About a 75 yard trip down a rabbit trail. I'm on maybe my 3rd or 4th trip and getting a little tired. The wood is heavy. Out of nowhere this large Red Wolf just slowly cuts across the path in maybe 20 feet in front of me. No there is no way my traveling back and forth could have been considered stealthy. The wood shifted, sometimes I dropped a log onto the rocks and picked it up, etc. Point is he had to have seen, heard, or smelled me. Quite honestly I don't think he gave a fig about me. He had his mission and I had mine and that was that. I guessed the weight to be 100 easy, probably 120 plus. Large, no question. Lovely red coat, magnificent really. He paid me absolutely no mind and just went on up the mountain while I just stood there with arms full of wood and my mouth open. I had no thought at all of the pistol in my pocket and was instead wishing very much I had brought a camera with me. He disappeared, and although I sat out some game cameras I have never seen a trace of him since.

Old 09-09-2012, 04:57 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 283 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Default Coyote

Damn, I wish you had the camera. !

I recently watched a Nat. Geo. channel special where they documented the Eastern expansion of the coyote. They interbred w wolves in Ontario Canada and this created a bigger, meaner critter that now hunts in packs.

A young country singer was killed by coyotes while hiking. Unfortunately, she ran from them which activated the predator/prey response. They were fearless, and one male refused to abandon her body as three male teenagers tried to drive him off.

Im not sure but I believe the coyote has the distinction to have attacked man in every state in the US. I've never heard of one being 100 lbs - usually that wolf territory who thankfully, leave us off the menu.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:54 PM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by superc View Post
Win73 I am not 100% sure the second image down in your post is a coyote. That looks from the camera angle something like a Urocyon Cineroargenteus, commonly also called a Grey fox. ... I could be wrong of course and note that if it is a Grey, the critter in your image is v. well fed

... Nitestalker is correct in that Coyotes and Grey fox are competitors. If you have Grey fox, you probably don't have any Coyote, and vice versa. I have had both, but never in the same year.

I am pretty sure it is a coyote. If you notice the other picture with the black coyote, both pictures are in exactly the same place. If you click on the link in my post you will see a video of three coyotes, two of them black.

(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:02 PM   #14

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Anyone that has chickens or any sort of fowl wants to eliminate the coyote. I want to eliminate coyotes as well. They are not native to NC. Coyotes compete with our threatened and natural red wolves. Hunters often mistake red wolves for coyotes and end up shooting the very critter they are trying to preserve. In appearance the only difference is the shape of wolfs head. They both are the same color and size. What is really sad is the only way to educate hunters is for the hunter to shoot a wolf by mistake. The educational videos are all shot in broad daylight and do not help hunters identify wolves in low light conditions.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:04 AM   #15

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I want to hunt yotes but don't know what to do with the meat. What do you guys do?

Old 09-10-2012, 03:12 AM   #16

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

What do you do with flys after you kill them?

Old 09-10-2012, 03:21 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2144 Times on 1344 Posts
Likes Given: 2160

You can take the carcass to a local fur dealer, you might get 10 or 15 bucks out of it.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:44 PM   #18

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Take it the meats no good.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:29 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 283 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Mystery Meat works well for Taco Bell

Old 09-11-2012, 03:18 AM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker
The coyote has a new enemy in much of the Wetern U.S. The Grey Wolf is expanding his range very fast. The Greys are the only animal that makes coyote hunting a career. The coyote is being replaced by wolves in much of the coyotes historical range.
I didn't know that the Greys were replacing the coyotes.