Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Coyote

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 02:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Coyote

I didn't want to take the discussion away from the OPs thread as to why people hunt coyotes, so I figured I'd start another one.

I have never had the chance to see a coyote in the wild while I was hunting to have a shot, but I have gotten to see them around my area pretty frequently.

I was just starting this thread for all who hunt coyotes to post pics if they have them along with some stories on coyote hunts.

Looking forward to hearing some good stories and seeing some great coyote pics.

If you would let me know where they were taken so I get an idea of just how widespread the coyote hunters are.

Thanks guys.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-09-2012, 03:34 AM   #2

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

My first Wiley was when I was walking back to a truck from my blind on a deer hunt. The guy pointed at him running away saying to shoot it so I knocked him off his feet with a 168 grain .308 round. No pics but it was fun. Also I was leaving work at 6 in the morning one day, going to get breakfast with a friend and one ran out in front of us in the middle of town

Old 09-09-2012, 03:36 AM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97cobra View Post
Looking forward to hearing some good stories and seeing some great coyote pics.

Thanks guys.
I have killed one coyote. I killed it while deer hunting. If I see any of these in the pictures, I will shoot them.

http://s869.photobucket.com/albums/ab252/cesample/?action=view&current=PICT00283Coyotes2Black.mp4

(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Last edited by Win73; 09-09-2012 at 03:38 AM.
USEBOTHHANDS Likes This 
Old 09-09-2012, 04:18 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 72

I have hunted yotes since I was a kid and I never had a stranger encounter with one than I had tonight.

I was in the yard with my dog just after dark , when she startled and ran over to the fence.I didn't see anything at first so I shined my light around and saw a porcupine going up a tree about 50 yds away.

I went inside and got my 5.56 XCR with a flashlight/lazer on it and went to dispatch this pest.

I put the lazer on it and blew it out of the tree, and then fired again as it was still writhing around.I walked back to the yard, set my rifle down and got a pitchfork to move the carcass to the burn pile.I grabbed the pitchfork and had just started back into the trees, when out of the darkness loped a yote right up to the porcupine, picked it up and took off again.I was so stunned that I just stood there until it was gone and didn't even think about the pistol on my hip.

I have never seen or heard of a yote that didn't run from the sound of gunfire, especially around here where everyone will throw a shot their way when they see them.

To let you know, I am in Eastern Wa. State.

Last edited by Coyotenator; 09-09-2012 at 04:21 AM.

Old 09-09-2012, 04:35 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagNasty1001
My first Wiley was when I was walking back to a truck from my blind on a deer hunt. The guy pointed at him running away saying to shoot it so I knocked him off his feet with a 168 grain .308 round. No pics but it was fun. Also I was leaving work at 6 in the morning one day, going to get breakfast with a friend and one ran out in front of us in the middle of town
Shag that is pretty cool. I am hoping to see one while out hunting one day. I have tried coyote hunting but we can't seem to get them to come in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win73

I have killed one coyote. I killed it while deer hunting. If I see any of these in the pictures, I will shoot them.

http://s869.photobucket.com/albums/ab252/cesample/?action=view&current=PICT00283Coyotes2Black.mp4
Is that on your property? I don't blame you I would shoot them too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotenator
I have hunted yotes since I was a kid and I never had a stranger encounter with one than I had tonight.

I was in the yard with my dog just after dark , when she startled and ran over to the fence.I didn't see anything at first so I shined my light around and saw a porcupine going up a tree about 50 yds away.

I went inside and got my 5.56 XCR with a flashlight/lazer on it and went to dispatch this pest.

I put the lazer on it and blew it out of the tree, and then fired again as it was still writhing around.I walked back to the yard, set my rifle down and got a pitchfork to move the carcass to the burn pile.I grabbed the pitchfork and had just started back into the trees, when out of the darkness loped a yote right up to the porcupine, picked it up and took off again.I was so stunned that I just stood there until it was gone and didn't even think about the pistol on my hip.

I have never seen or heard of a yote that didn't run from the sound of gunfire, especially around here where everyone will throw a shot their way when they see them.

To let you know, I am in Eastern Wa. State.
That is pretty weird. I can't get them to come in in complete silence. I have always heard and been told that if you see one to make the shot count because you most likely will not have another shot.

Old 09-09-2012, 04:56 AM   #6

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Coyote

http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/ae314/irmintraud/Coyote.jpg
I hunted this one down with a camera near Jackson Hole. It is probably the healthiest coyote I have ever seen.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:01 AM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97cobra View Post
Is that on your property? I don't blame you I would shoot them too.
Its not my property but it is the property I hunt on. A friend of mine at church lets me hunt on his property. In the video and the first picture you can see my shooting house.

(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:31 AM   #8

Liked 4788 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The coyote has a new enemy in much of the Wetern U.S. The Grey Wolf is expanding his range very fast. The Greys are the only animal that makes coyote hunting a career. The coyote is being replaced by wolves in much of the coyotes historical range.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #9

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

I hunt around our family farm land, my cousin and uncle's places with ours gives me about 200 acres of wood and pasture land plus our neighbors fields gives another 200 acres. No one minds shooting coyotes, they all have cattle and lost calves to many of coyotes. I just bought my new Alpha Dog caller from Primos, I set up on a ridge behind my sister's house that has woods and adjoining open field. The coyotes and deer will move along the edge of the woods/field, also there is a cross cut of powerlines thru the wood section for a small field view. I set the caller up and moved to a good hidden position behind a downed tree overlooking the field and in view of the caller sitting on the ridge of woods. I played several sounds from a pack calling to a lonely female call and a distressed rabbit fighting for it's life. I would wait a couple minutes in between sounds to try and keep it real as possible. I waited about 30 minutes and did not see anything, I was by myself and thought maybe one came and busted me, I should have a partner to what my 6. I moved to the next ridge over where my deer stand is located and moved to the fence line next to the field. My view is partially blocked by several trees growing in the field, the downward slope of the land did not help, the canopies of small limbs restricted shots. As I viewed the surrounding hill sides I see one on the move about 200 yds out and in the tree line. He is heading to the ridge I just came from! I have a lanyard of hand calls around my neck and try to get him in closer for a shot, I grab whatever was close and blew on it. I made a distress sound and he stopped, gave me a looks and kept moving on his path. I blew again, same thing, stopped, looked and kept moving. He went straight to the ridge and place I was just at! If I would have been a little more patient I would have had a clear shot at him. He got away from me because the trees restricted my shot. I go out there almost every weekend for some shooting and fall hunting, I take coyote calls with me and a gun.
The following weekend I went out and was looking behind my sisters house again, first I glance down thru the powerline clear cut, then move over to the ridge trail. Bingo, there was a coyote standing 50 yds away and 100 yds from the house. 1 shot and down he goes! I felt redemption from the one that got away. My brother and sister live about 300 yds apart on family land, they here them almost nightly.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 09-09-2012, 02:30 PM   #10

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Win73 I am not 100% sure the second image down in your post is a coyote. That looks from the camera angle something like a Urocyon Cineroargenteus, commonly also called a Grey fox. I've got those too, and since they don't seem to bother my cats any (very strange that) I leave them alone. I could be wrong of course and note that if it is a Grey, the critter in your image is v. well fed

Unlike Red fox, Grey fox can climb trees and on more than one occasion I have seen them in branches 6 or 8 feet off the ground waiting to see what comes down the trail below. Nitestalker is correct in that Coyotes and Grey fox are competitors. If you have Grey fox, you probably don't have any Coyote, and vice versa. I have had both, but never in the same year.

The critter in BB9838's photo is unquestionably a Coyote of the type I eliminated a group of back in 05.

[images from my yard, a local Grey]

urocyon-cinereoargenteus.jpg   fox5.jpg  

Last edited by superc; 09-09-2012 at 02:41 PM. Reason: changed comment