Counting crows - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Counting crows

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2011, 01:44 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

There is nothing more fun then calling in crows. I have two P. S. OLT crow calls Model 14-9 (not sure of that last number, kind of worn off) one of which was my fathers and is probably atleast 55 years old, great calls. I never go in the woods without having one of them! Crows respond exceptionally well to a call and I would go so far to say that if you can hear crows calling in the distance you can call them in. There is a bit of an art to using the call, but it is very easily learned. BTW the first video above is an example of how not to use a crow call!! Crows are very weary so cover and concealment are critical. Decoys, Owls and Hawks are good also.

Last year I was down on one section of our hunting property about a quarter mile from the barn where we keep our equipment and gather as a group. I was in my white Ford pickup and a group of crows were calling in the distance; I rolled down the window and started calling. Within a very short time there were 50 - 75 crows circling my pickup. I put it in gear and slowly drove back to the barn, calling out the window and had the entire bunch of crows follow me to the barn. Everyone there had a good laugh when I showed up with the crows. Kind of blows the cover and concealment theory, go figure.

As mentioned above, crows have a season which here in Georgia runs from 5 Nov. to 29 Feb., no limit. Buy a call, have a ball!!

Old 09-22-2011, 01:47 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Call me a liberal if you will. But I can't see shooting
crows or any winged-creature of the skies. I'd much
rather shoot drug-dealers and corporate warlords if I
can get away with it.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:32 PM   #13

Liked 717 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanBaccha View Post
can get away with it.
Until they let us shoot bad guys with no limits then shooting crows (and cats) is the next best thing.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:52 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Cats?!! Oh, come on now.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:02 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1142 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 677

i hate it when i smell cat piss all over somewhere like my steps or shed door. if i see em on my property they tend to disappear. for crows. ive shot a few that flew in when i was squrriel hunting with my .22

Old 09-22-2011, 10:32 PM   #16

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

Tell you what, Start growing corn, plant 100 acres. Don't shoot a single crow and see how much comes up. When the ears are about ready, please don't shoot any, Racoons either. You'll be lucky to get 50% out of that feild. 1/2 of your annual income or Feed for your livestock for the Winter. I shoot crows on a 500 acre farm. He has 200 dairy cows and 400 chickens. He has 150 more acres that are seperate from the single that is strictly for feed. 400 acres is devoted to feed. What do you think would happen to his livelihood if he let wildlife ravage his crops. I guess he could always ask for a handout! But since he owns land, that can't happen. He lets me hunt Whitetail, Geese, in return for shooting crows, coyotes, racoons.........
You better stop shooting, think of the lead contamination. The only things I contaminate w/ lead are vermin and FOOD! I usually ventelate them though pretty good.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:43 PM   #17

Liked 717 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 230

People have been shooting crows(and cats) a lot for the last hundred years or so and there is as many now than ever was(way more cats). Coyotes and crows have extended their range in the US. Like any exotic species cats do incalculable harm to native wildlife. Crows and coyotes can harm many "desirable" species populations but at least they are "natural".

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 09-24-2011, 04:40 AM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I have killed two crows in my life. The first was about 35 years ago. Used an M1 carbine at 90 yards. One shot kill.

The second was two years ago while dove hunting. Was standing under a tree waiting for more dove to fly by. I see two crows flying directly toward the tree I am standing under. I thought that when they passed over the tree and were out in front of me, I would try to shoot one. Lo and behold, one of them lands in the tree directly above me! I pointed my Remington 1100 straight up and shot it. The crow nearly hit me when it fell. I didn't have to take a step. I just bent over and picked it up.

(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Old 09-24-2011, 05:07 AM   #19

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanBaccha View Post
can get away with it.
What kind of call do you use for a drug dealer?

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 09-24-2011, 01:47 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Hunt them when in season here in KY.

Most important thing is to cover up and don't move when calling crows. I wear full camo, face and head. Used to use and olt mouth call but have graduated to a FoxPro electronic call. They can't resist it and come in fighting mad and stupid. An owl decoy works well also. Good luck. OT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1982flh80 View Post
Does anyone here at the forum crow hunt. Bought my youngest son a used Mossberg 500 12ga. and now he has decided he wants to hunt everything small game. Shooting crows isn't something I have personally attempted. I here it is difficult. Blind, calls and loads of patience are standard issues for any success hunting these birds. Crows are smart as well as wary. Would like to try it though. Besides, this will give me a reason to purchase a new shotgun.

Fish, Hunt, Trap and then start all over again.
Life Member NRA, LKS, NWF, UTK, KFA
Annual Sponsor, DU QU, NWTF