Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Counting crows (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/counting-crows-48268/)

1982flh80 09-14-2011 01:40 PM

Counting crows

Does anyone here at the forum crow hunt. Bought my youngest son a used Mossberg 500 12ga. and now he has decided he wants to hunt everything small game. Shooting crows isn't something I have personally attempted. I here it is difficult. Blind, calls and loads of patience are standard issues for any success hunting these birds. Crows are smart as well as wary. Would like to try it though. Besides, this will give me a reason to purchase a new shotgun.

willshoum 09-14-2011 01:57 PM

A murder of crows.....

Tapes,fake owl,blind well hidden, lots of shot gun shells. Leave any cripples in the area.....Have fun.......:)

TimKS 09-14-2011 02:39 PM

I've never hunted them specifically, but I have shot a few. Once you shoot one in the flock, you rarely get a chance to shoot another in the same flock. They are very wary to say the least. Good luck.

hiwall 09-14-2011 02:58 PM

I have hunted them a lot(in MN). and have been in many organized crow shoots where the winning team always had over 100 crows per day of shooting. You need a call. one way is to drive until crows are spotted in the distance set-up your call 1/4 to 1/2 mile from crows and call them in. Another way is go to where the crows always hang out(pig farms are excellent) set-up call and shoot then wait-call shoot-repeat. A lot of fun

towboater 09-14-2011 03:20 PM

willshoum 09-14-2011 04:46 PM

Dammm Britts......

Are we hunting crows in America......Put up the Owl and see for your self..... Don't get me wrong, crows are very intelligent.... You will kill more youngsters than the older ones.... Put out poisan bait and you'll see what I'm talking about. Dey ain't stupid........When the older birds hang out of shot gun range, it's time to use the rifle and scope....this will test your shooting ability.......Knockem dead......:eek::D

c3shooter 09-15-2011 03:30 AM

FWIW, check the hunting laws. They are federally regulated. Last time I looked, it was legal on alternate days. I use a .22 or .17 HMR.

jpattersonnh 09-16-2011 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimKS (Post 580228)
I've never hunted them specifically, but I have shot a few. Once you shoot one in the flock, you rarely get a chance to shoot another in the same flock. They are very wary to say the least. Good luck.

A "flock" of Crows is known as a Murder, not a flock. I use A 12ga Mossberg w/ a modified choke, #4 lead high brass, some plastic crow decoys and a call. My Son has a single shot 20ga w/ an Modified barrel and #5 lead shot. If you can shoot, 30..40 yards is easy. We hunt a 200 acre field, next to a corn field. The Corn field is minor, it is the daily flight path they use that makes it a hot spot.

303tom 09-16-2011 12:52 AM

I hate CROWS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

00possum 09-17-2011 09:12 PM

i use a rabbit in distress call. then shoot them out of the air with a shot gun, if they land i use a 22 mag. if the distress call doesnt work play a crow fighting with the distress call.