Coping with a miss... - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum >

Coping with a miss...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 06:28 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_of_Dixie
Wasn't a miss but similar story. Had a nice wide 8pt lined up this morning, pulled the trigger and click. Remmington core lokt failure to fire. All i can see after that is his ass as he jumps the fence
Quote:
Originally Posted by akers06

Junk remington ammo....I know a lot of people is gonna be pissed over this comment but its the truth
You wanna know a good use for cor lokts? They make dandy sinkers the brass is good for reloading too. It happens OP. I miss as a general rule two shots every three years on deer. Then I just hammer everyone I shoot at into the ground. Prejudicely. (I hunt w a 7 mm rem mag or like thia year I broke out the big boy-7.82 warbird )

Old 11-18-2012, 07:49 AM   #22
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8770 Times on 5240 Posts
Likes Given: 11644

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Did you hit him at all or totally miss? I would maybe like to try hunting but my biggest fear is to injure an animal. I would feel very bad if I inflicted serious pain on anything......human or animal. If I knew I could shoot it and it would drop, I'd hunt. I know I'm not that good a shot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmaster456 View Post
At least you didn't wound him. There are few things worse than knowing you wounded an animal. Makes you wanna puke. It's sickening beyond words.
Yep. I feel the same way. That's exactly why I haven't tried hunting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysarmed View Post
Im glad I didn't wound him. The mossburg fails me for the first time today. But was probly mostly my fault.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmaster456 View Post
Missing is part of being a hunter. Everyone has or will at least once. I missed the first shot I took at a deer too.
That's why hunting is a sport. You have to learn the best way to hunt. It's a skill and that's what makes it so interesting for those who hunt. You have to be better than your "opponent" or you don't win.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:44 PM   #23

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

After you miss a few deer you really don't care any more. Everyone gets tore up the first time they miss a deer. Then you kill a couple and you don't think about the miss anymore. Today, I am at the point were I think it wasn't meant to be. I say a prayer for the deer's safety and I move on. Some deer were meant to get big and a few misses just educates the deer.

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 11-18-2012, 08:11 PM   #24
FTF_MODERATOR.png

By "miss" do you mean totally not hitting the deer at all? Or do you mean hitting it, not killing it, not tracking it and it is wounded somewhere?

Old 11-18-2012, 10:28 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 982 Times on 613 Posts
Likes Given: 1876

Sometimes a miss isn't a miss, but it isn't a killing shot either, and the deer licks its wounds and lives on, older and wiser. I "missed" a buck once in my teens, the only evidence found was a strip of skin and long white hairs. I had shot a wedge out of his tail, apparently. Still cannot understand how my aim was so far off on a standing deer, but that's the way the breaks fall sometimes. Fortunately I've moved on from that ignominy (if that's the right word). Now when I shoot them, the result is usually heartburger and a short track, if any.

"Then tell me this: Why would you want to hang around people that get uncomfortable, or even scared, about that kind of thing?" "Maybe to feel normal," I said. He laughed. "Normal's not all it's cracked up to be." "You think?" "Hell, I know." - from Spirits In The Wires, by Charles de Lint.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:30 PM   #26

Shoot em w a 7.82 warbird and you have no tracking

Last edited by Marlinman; 11-18-2012 at 10:42 PM.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:33 PM   #27

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I missed my first shot on a deer. But got one on my second shot. I just made sure that on my second shot I practiced all the fundamentals and made an ethical kill shot. For the full version of the story click here.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:24 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 990 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

The number one common mistake leading to a miss that shooters make is lowering thier rifle too quickly after pulling the trigger.

When shooting a scoped rifle,put the crosshairs on target and invision the bullet passing through the animal,roll with the recoil,come back to a full stop then lower rifle. What shooters tend to do is "jerk" trigger and immediately lower rifle to watch the deer (animal) go down. Control these two things and your strike counts will increase. My grandfather taught me this when I was a wee lad of 10/11 on my first deer hunt.

I was shooting a pump action 30-06. After the inital miss, That pump action in my deft hands sounded like a belt fed machine gun (complete with four magazine changes.) As I entered the Army years later, I learned the term connected to my youthful shooting display was known as "fire for effect" Ultimately I hit home and killed that Buck,it wasn't pretty,it wasn't perfect but I did get him after 20 rounds.

So my grandfather set out to teach me to control lowering the rifle too quickly after pulling the trigger,and a couple of other things. As a result I'm a better rifleman for it. As long as my Dope is correct I stand a very good chance of accurately hitting long distant targets.

Become steel or get cut.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:29 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Talon View Post
The number one common mistake leading to a miss that shooters make is lowering thier rifle too quickly after pulling the trigger.

When shooting a scoped rifle,put the crosshairs on target and invision the bullet passing through the animal,roll with the recoil,come back to a full stop then lower rifle. What shooters tend to do is "jerk" trigger and immediately lower rifle to watch the deer (animal) go down. Control these two things and your strike counts will increase. My grandfather taught me this when I was a wee lad of 10/11 on my first deer hunt.

I was shooting a pump action 30-06. After the inital miss, That pump action in my deft hands sounded like a belt fed machine gun (complete with four magazine changes.) As I entered the Army years later, I learned the term connected to my youthful shooting display was known as "fire for effect" Ultimately I hit home and killed that Buck,it wasn't pretty,it wasn't perfect but I did get him after 20 rounds.

So my grandfather set out to teach me to control lowering the rifle too quickly after pulling the trigger,and a couple of other things. As a result I'm a better rifleman for it. As long as my Dope is correct I stand a very good chance of accurately hitting long distant targets.
That's a good point. Another good reason is people break cheek weld when cycling the action while shooting w one eye closed.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:51 PM   #30
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Talon View Post

Oh.....geeze!!!

But there was some good information there for me. Thanks. poor deer.