Coping with a miss... - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Coping with a miss...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 05:50 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Wasn't a miss but similar story. Had a nice wide 8pt lined up this morning, pulled the trigger and click. Remmington core lokt failure to fire. All i can see after that is his ass as he jumps the fence

Old 11-17-2012, 06:35 PM   #12

Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_of_Dixie
Wasn't a miss but similar story. Had a nice wide 8pt lined up this morning, pulled the trigger and click. Remmington core lokt failure to fire. All i can see after that is his ass as he jumps the fence
Junk remington ammo....I know a lot of people is gonna be pissed over this comment but its the truth

Old 11-17-2012, 08:17 PM   #13

Liked 46 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 246

At least you didn't wound him. There are few things worse than knowing you wounded an animal. Makes you wanna puke. It's sickening beyond words.

Woe to those who make unjust laws and to those who issue oppressive decrees. -Isaiah 10:1

Blaming guns for death is like blaming forks for obesity

Old 11-17-2012, 08:50 PM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Im glad I didn't wound him. The mossburg fails me for the first time today. But was probly mostly my fault.

Its not murder if for means of survival

Old 11-17-2012, 10:59 PM   #15

Hey you are not the only one. I missed my would be first deer early this moring.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:39 AM   #16

Liked 46 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by pe175
Hey you are not the only one. I missed my would be first deer early this moring.
Missing is part of being a hunter. Everyone has or will at least once. I missed the first shot I took at a deer too.

Woe to those who make unjust laws and to those who issue oppressive decrees. -Isaiah 10:1

Blaming guns for death is like blaming forks for obesity

Old 11-18-2012, 01:40 AM   #17

Liked 321 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Last edited by AsSeenOnTV; 11-19-2012 at 11:38 PM.
winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 11-18-2012, 03:18 AM   #18

Liked 541 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

I was with my son when he shot one the bled very little, I only found 3 drops of blood. It piled up 100 yds away. I have missed too, it happens.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 11-18-2012, 04:16 AM   #19
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 891 Times on 408 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Several years ago on a cold rainy NH day I'm on the lower side of a beech ridge leaning against a huge tree when suddenly I hear the sound of deer running through the fallen leaves which are over a foot deep!
Because of the rain I opted to leave my scoped Rem 700 in 30-06 in the truck, the very rifle I shoot better than any other and have won running deer shoots with! I opt to use my new Win mod. 94 in 44 mag.
Five deer are coming straight at me and holding up the rear is the biggest buck I have ever seen! I maintain my position behind the tree and cock the winchester the deer are now on a collision course I can already taste the liver frying in the pan! They continue right on course 50 yards and then 30 and 20 the buck is in my sights I squeeze the trigger and nothing happens!!! No click not a f$ckn thing I quickly cycle the lever and the deer stop dead looking right at me I squeeze the trigger and again nothing happens the hammer is still at full cock I'm fairly certain I heard a snicker from the 5 deer. My buddy was 400 yards further down the hill shot the buck it weighed 280 lbs. It seems the rain caused the stock to swell and it put pressure against the hammer holding it in place. A little wood rasp work when I got home and it functioned perfectly I traded it the next day! To this day I wold not use one of those 94's to paddle my canoe they wold make pretty good tomato stakes however.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:08 AM   #20
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1753 Times on 1081 Posts
Likes Given: 9629

Don't let it get you down man, I missed the first 4 deer I shot at. Just yesterday I missed a very nice 8 point. I couldn't get the truck from 5th to 3rd fast enough!

Reminds me of a tree rat hunt 2 years ago. A buddy of mine took a shot at one and missed it. He sat on the other side of the tree I was at and waited for another squirell to pop it's head out. We both saw onecome down a tree 15 yards away, I lined up the bead and the rear peep on my 20 gauge right on his head. I squeezed the trigger, And my shot shreded a bush just over him. All my friend could do is look at me shocked. In 10 years of shooting and hunting together it was the first (and so far only) time he had ever seen me miss. When I got home I figured out the problem. I had sighted the gun for slugs earlier in the week, and had forgoten to reset the rear sight for shot before going out that day. Moral of the story? Sh!t happens. We all miss on occaision.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.