Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > coon hunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2011, 01:37 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default coon hunt

whats the best coon hunting gear i need, i'll be by myself.

you arent ready to live until your ready to die

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-07-2011, 02:03 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1719 Times on 894 Posts
Likes Given: 3624

A good dog, spotlight, and rifle. I'm sure there are a few more things you can take to make it better.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:01 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8314 Times on 3594 Posts
Likes Given: 1279

We useta say you could always spot the coon hunter- horn for calling dog, happy dog, battered .22 rifle, and a 14 cell flashlight.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:27 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5118 Times on 2664 Posts
Likes Given: 310

rattlesnake anti venom... oh and rabies vaccine

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-07-2011, 03:54 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I knew a guy who had a lot of fallen trees, with big hollow stumps, on his property so he always brought a pair of loggers climbing spikes to get up the stumps, and smoke bombs to smoke 'em out, no joke!

Old 08-07-2011, 04:13 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

we usually just take a 12 gauge with target loads, a good spot light, and two way radios split up and walk parallel lines a good 100- 200yrds apart. I never go hunting at night by myself esp not in dan boon state forest.

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 08-11-2011, 09:43 PM   #7

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Coon hunting is fun

Some my fondest memories is from my Teen youth hunting with relatives and friends and with my younger brother.
Its definately a active sport of land navigation ant nite, swamps, tree groves, creeks, abandoned building sites, road culverts.
I presume you live east of the Misssisippi river?
I had hunted a area in the mid states area, so had hunted coon mile or better from water or trees
Do you have a Dog?
Is your dog coon smart? has it been around coon before?
a dog will go into parallsis if bitten too much by a racoon...somthing in ther saliva attacks ther nervous system down dead.
You dont have to have a registerd full blooded coon hound to have a good hunting dog, the best I ever saw was a 1/2 rat terrior/walker coonhound that could wind a coon from the back of a puckuptruck driveing 40 on a gravel road, My father had a Weimaraner dog that once bitten hated coon there after and would go out his way to kill any around.
Live coon training is a big plus, if a dog gets a coon cornerd they will roll on ther back and then there all teeth and claws a dog trying to bite the neck or belly is going to have a coon latch on them like a cockleburr and they are some the emanist nasty critters out there,
helps if you can trail your dog some, they run fast and a coon can run as much as 3 miles before it trees, It helps to find another hunter in your area and see if you can hunt with them and you can learn...even from lousey hunters.
Game Wardens and Midnite tipsters
Cooning at nite and running dogs its a fun and healthfull pastime be shure to get permission from landholders holders, (use auto only to transport from point a to point b) NEVER Never never hunt from vehicle on the road, Truck hunting and useing a cigarlighter jack light your going to have all sorts of problems, you can have your vehicle impounded and guns siezed if your caught doing this with coons in your possesion, a light flashing round late at nite and lighting up tree groves and creek bottoms gets folks attention, have to have a hunting licence and a furberers permit.

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 08-11-2011 at 09:56 PM.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:32 PM   #8

Liked 1056 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 1070

A full size Poodle, a good light, & a .22 rifle !!!!!!

When all else fails.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:21 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:05 PM   #10

Liked 207 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Find a local group of coon hunters and learn from them. Or shot them from the back porch while in the bird feeders. thats how my wife doe it.