Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2012, 03:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Cooling

Once you've field dressed and skinned a whitetail, how long do you let it cool, and why? Also, what ambient temps are we talking about?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-06-2012, 04:03 AM   #2

Liked 2373 Times on 1482 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I field dress mine, then if weather is at least 38 or lower I let them hang. Hang them at least a day, then I skin them. Wash all the meat off after I butcher it. Then soak it all in ice water for a couple of days. Then process, wrap, and freeze. That's under ideal conditions for me though. Everyone is different, that's just how I do it.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:33 AM   #3

Liked 620 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 1553

If I'm gonna let 'em hang its over ningt and I just gut it and leave the skin on, but only if its under 50°. Most of the time I dress it out and leave it in a cooler full of cold salt water for a day.

People let them hang to get the game tast to go away. Cold salt water or beer do the same.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1142 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 1149

If you have access to a cooler as I do about a week..............

When all else fails.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:18 PM   #5

I'll hang it over night after spraying out the carcass with water. This will get the 'heat' out of the meat and the natural process of tenderizing will begin. Temps for us during hunting season is always cold. Often too cold so i'll hang the carcass in a shed or the garage as a frozen carcass is a PITA to process.
Years ago I learned that some fine steak houses would age their beef in coolers for weeks. This allows the meat fibers to break down and is part of how you can tear that $60 fillet with your fork..

Old 04-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Thanks guys, lost track of this thread, good tips and info, I appreciate it