Come to Idaho Oct. 7th - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Come to Idaho Oct. 7th

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2010, 03:24 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

It is hard to understand you thinking you have the right to eradicate an entire species.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 09-13-2010, 03:31 PM   #22

Liked 341 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
It is hard to understand you thinking you have the right to eradicate an entire species.
You must be new to the whole wolf topic. They already did it once before, The animal is protected in Yellowstone, runs in Canada, is shoot on site in Alaska and Wyoming with no limits on quantity. The cougar is shoot on site in parts of Arizona. They brought the wolf to Idaho some 12 years or so and it did NOT work so well. It really is the lesser of all evils to get them out of the state.

WHY DID THEY RUN THEM OUT THE FIRST TIME AND WHAT IS DIFFERENT NOW

Old 09-13-2010, 03:51 PM   #23

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I can see both sides of the argument. I feel that preditors should be activly hunted to keep the preditor human confict down. I don't think you will get all of them any way. As for bringing in a priditor to an area that hasn't had that preditor or needed that preditor for over 100 years is a bad idea.
I have to ask myself why would they do this other than to use said area as a big crucable to see what would happen. To me this science experament has shown that the priditor was neither needed or wanted.
F.K.

Thats why they call it hunting and not grocery shopping

Old 09-13-2010, 04:01 PM   #24

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walley View Post
Fisherking

I have spent quite a bit of time in both Alaska and Canada and seen first hand wolves making a kill. I have also seen them come back to the kill more than once over a period of days. I have also seen predators kill in Africa and guard their kills from scavengers. Yes there have been isolated cases of people getting killed by wolves but bears and other big game have killed far more. I have the good fortune to know a man who studied the pack dynamic of wolves for over twenty years all across North America and I am more inclined to listen to what he has to say than I am others with predetermined views on the subject.
Everbody has an agenda my agenda is to have a good health heard of deer and moose to hunt. with wolves and other preditors around, when the prey is gone or at low levels what will they turn to. Preditors are oprutunistic(SP) the weak the small . When does the preditor stop fearing humans and start looking at them for food. I would say a couple of generations after they are not hunted any more and lose or chose to over come their fear of humans. This wont be a grown up but a child. I say hunt them and we will have less human animal conflict.
I would say your friend has an agenda as well , maybe wolves to study . No wolves no job nothing to study.
F.K.

Thats why they call it hunting and not grocery shopping

Old 09-13-2010, 06:58 PM   #25

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
I can see both sides of the argument. I feel that preditors should be activly hunted to keep the preditor human confict down. I don't think you will get all of them any way. As for bringing in a priditor to an area that hasn't had that preditor or needed that preditor for over 100 years is a bad idea.
I have to ask myself why would they do this other than to use said area as a big crucable to see what would happen. To me this science experament has shown that the priditor was neither needed or wanted.
F.K.
This is a well thought out and stated position on this topic so far, thank you

I can see and understand both sides of the topic as well. Understandably a predator such as a gray wolf can be dangerous, as can any predator. But mankind has managed to live a long, long time coexisting with deadly animals all over the world and throughout history. I find the idea that an animal should be annihilated abhorrent, no matter what the reason.

As for management for the gray wolf, it was human mismanagement that eliminated them from the natural habitats to begin with. Further mismanagement has now supposedly unbalanced the scales where they have been reintroduced. Are we seeing a pattern here, humans are 0-2 when it comes to management of the wolves. Someone will have to provide a pretty compelling argument, other than that they are dangerous and impact some folks hunting, to convince me that man should get a 3rd crack at it. So far that hasn't happened.

As always, stay safe

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 09-14-2010, 03:04 AM   #26

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default /

Fisherking

Yes my close and dear friend does have an agenda. As a child he grew up in a remote area of your country and gained a respect for all wildlife that all to of few of us have. His agenda is now and has always been to enlighten people to the true facts of animal behavior and rectify the misconceptions promulgated in literature and by individuals with views that are contrary to empirical fact. He does his research mostly on his own nickel and receives no compensation from any entity for the work he does other than the few of us who support him in his endeavors. He has always gone to great lengths to explain to those who will listen that under the natural balance of things that when the population of pray animals declines so does the population of predators. Mother Nature is a hell of a lot smarter than mankind will ever be.

You must take into consideration that issues concerning predators and wildlife management differ greatly by area and unfortunately it has become a major political issue in some states in this country under the pressure of special interest groups. In areas that there are no natural predators the game animals become a destructive problem and in many cases a large percentage of them succumb from malnutrition and disease. It is my understanding that the gray wolf was reintroduced to the Northern Rockies for just that reason. Despite what others believe I happen to believe that it was a good idea.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:14 AM   #27

Liked 341 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walley View Post
Fisherking
Mother Nature is a hell of a lot smarter than mankind will ever be.
What does this issue have to do with "mother nature" ???

A bunch of men went to Canada with helicopters and shot wolves with drug darts and brought them to Idaho. When was "mother nature" involved with that ? So now that Idaho has a bunch of man made transplanted wolves you think "mother nature" has something to do with it ???

Old 09-14-2010, 04:00 AM   #28

the wolves we have were not reintroduced they were introduced. whats good for the west ought to be good for the rest country. Please come get your share and hurry live or dead i dont care.b

let no talents go unused

Old 09-14-2010, 04:39 AM   #29

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
Wolves will also kill for sport I have seen it on the ice of frozen lakes Make a kill and eat the gut and liver and internals and leave the rest.
How is that for sport? Killing for sport is killing and leaving it untouched. The innards are the best source of protein, vitamins and fat. The necessary essentials for winter survival. If you see the wolves kill an animal and not eat anyting, then that is sport. Otherwise, they are killing for nutrients.

All of you who are hanging onto the misnomers of predators and their relationship to the health of any herd or population of game need to pick up any book by Farley Mowatt and actually read it. Put down the magazines that are geared to the human hunter and get a real understanding of natures relationships.

Wolves RARELY attack humans, and they do not kill food animals just for the sake of killing. Buck up and realize that just because you have the gift (in some cases the minimal gift) of written language that you are the top of the food chain and thusly have the right to game over the other predators.

There have been many contradictions in this thread, and some of you are showing how faulty your logic really is. Again, Farley Mowatt. I do warn you, his books are a tad big and they have zero pictures.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 09-14-2010, 05:21 AM   #30

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Oh come on Skully that really hurts. No pics, whats an intelligent mind like mine to do? I don believe in irradiating any species. I do believe in management and it seems the wolves and mountain lions alike have had a great surge in population. Unfortunate for us up here they don't eat the coons or cats, bad luck for me.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Closed Thread