Come to Idaho Oct. 7th - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum >

Come to Idaho Oct. 7th

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2010, 04:34 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Eastern Oregon is having a hell of a problem with the wolves. They love the sheep and young cattle and as stated seem to be killing not so much for the meat but for sport. Farmers are losing alot of stock but find it almost completely whole and un-eaten. They have tracked the wolves, watched them but are not allowed to put them down.

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:02 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default /

It is surprising what one can learn from the posting on these forums. All my life I have heard that the only animal walking this earth that kills just for the thrill of it is the human and now I have learned that the wolves in the Rockies have taken up human traits. Thank god the wolves in the northern part of this states are evolving slower than the ones out there. Somehow I have a big problem believing this hypotheses as haven been a psychologist for over 40 years I have learned that people quite often prevaricate to justify their positions. We see it in politics and religion every day.

With 850 wolves running free in a state the size of Idaho it has to be an epidemic that endangers their total population. Ranchers should hire mercenaries to protect their herds. If Blackwater won’t take the job call out the National Guard. Cut the Bull and just admit that those who call for the annihilation of these majestic creatures do it out of fear of the unknown and the urge to kill for killing sake. They manufacture and manipulate statistics in an effort to hide their own personal fears, lust to kill and agendas. My son who ranches in Montana in wolf territory tells me that most of the stories he has heard about wolf depredations are nothing more than campfire tall tales. The elk and deer herds in his area have never been in better shape.

Before any of you get your panties in a twist let me say this. I am soon to be 73 and have hunted for over 60 years. I have never seen any sense in killing any animal just because it is there and I can kill it. A trophy on the wall is nothing more than an ego builder in my way of looking at things. Hunt for the pleasure of the hunt and if all you get is some perverse pleasure out of killing animals get a job in a slaughterhouse.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:15 PM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
Well a couple points regarding your post Tire,
1.the link you provided leads to an article where the wolf population is estimated to be around 850, not 900 as you stated. Why the difference?
2. You state that wolves eat deer/elk. Which is it that you are using to state your position? Because an elk is roughly 2x the size of a deer. According to info I researched in order to maintain a healthy wolf population a wolf has to eat 7lbs of meat a day. That equates to about 1 deer a month, not 2 as you stated. As you will see it makes a huge difference when coming to a statistical conclusion.
3. So Lets do the math shall we - in order for a healthy wolf population to survive we have 850 wolves x 7lbs x 365 days = 2,171,750lbs of meat. 850 wolves x 2 deer/elk/wolf x 12 months = 20,400 deer/elk. 20,400 deer x 250lbs(ave weight) = 5,100,000lbs of meat. Based on your data the wolves are consuming more than 2x what they need to survive. The discrepancy is even greater when you factor for a 500lb Elk.Tire, I am sorry that you feel the wolf population has become so out of control in your state. But I can't see based on the info you provided how you can draw your conclusions. So the outright slaughter of an animal is not something I am prepared to agree with. If you can provide more factual info I would be pleased to read it.

And Josh, humans routinely come in contact with wild animals in places you wouldn't likely believe. It's a fact of life, the best you can do is keep your cool, understand what the situation is and protect yourself. But if you feel an animal should be outright slaughtered just because it dampens your hunting season I will have to disagree with you as well. As stated earlier, provide some facts and I will gladly read up on them.

Again, stay safe

Wolves will also kill for sport I have seen it on the ice of frozen lakes Make a kill and eat the gut and liver and internals and leave the rest. I guss it doesn't go to wast because the cyotes and ravens get them evetualy, but it shure reaks havock on the populations. so to say a wolf only eats 2 elk or deer a month is not taking into acount that they will kill just for the fun of it if oprotunity presents it self.whether it is for fun or teaching its young how to kill, so this greatly increases the mortality rate of the deer and elk.
F.K.

Last edited by Fisherking; 09-13-2010 at 01:23 PM.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:52 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default /

The first part of a kill a predator eats is the guts and they usually come back to the carcass when they get hungry again as long as they feel safe in doing so. Your scent near a kill could be enough to keep them away. People should learn the traits of animals before passing judgment on them.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:23 PM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walley View Post
The first part of a kill a predator eats is the guts and they usually come back to the carcass when they get hungry again as long as they feel safe in doing so. Your scent near a kill could be enough to keep them away. People should learn the traits of animals before passing judgment on them.
I know the caracteristics of wolves Like I said I have seen packs take down deer and either leave it or just eat the guts. I have watched at over a mile away it's easy on the ice. and to take out a few cyotes we set up on these caracses , we have rarely see the wolves come back.
It sounds to me that the experiance that some people have is National geogphic. They swallow the whole pill of these aganda based showes.
No offence but till you have lived it it is realy hard to knock it.
F.K.

P.S. It used to be that Ministry of Natural Resorses[(SP) my dislexia comes int play again] that wolves didn't atack people but in northern Manatoba 2 of 3 years ago a pack took out a jogger in January, They tried to say it was a bear which are hybernating at that time of year did it, but have now admited it was wolves. There have been other instances as well. So to me this shows that the so called experts have had it wrong. for a while.
I think mabey they need to be hunted to keep them afraid of humans. We will never extermanate wolves but we will keep a healthy fear of humans in them when they are hunted.
F.K.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:42 PM   #17

Liked 341 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 38

It's really simple, if you shoot a wolf you save the life of many deer and elk. The pro life group never understands that theory. They always want to save every wolf and not think the wolf kills for fun, it just doesn't make any sense, you can't have it both ways. By shooting a wolf you become PRO LIFE.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:54 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default /

Fisherking

I have spent quite a bit of time in both Alaska and Canada and seen first hand wolves making a kill. I have also seen them come back to the kill more than once over a period of days. I have also seen predators kill in Africa and guard their kills from scavengers. Yes there have been isolated cases of people getting killed by wolves but bears and other big game have killed far more. I have the good fortune to know a man who studied the pack dynamic of wolves for over twenty years all across North America and I am more inclined to listen to what he has to say than I am others with predetermined views on the subject.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:56 PM   #19

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Tire View Post
It's really simple, if you shoot a wolf you save the life of many deer and elk. The pro life group never understands that theory. They always want to save every wolf and not think the wolf kills for fun, it just doesn't make any sense, you can't have it both ways. By shooting a wolf you become PRO LIFE.
So you want to kill all the wolves to save the deer and the elk... so that you can then go out and kill the deer and the elk? Sounds like you are the one killing just for the fun of it.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 09-13-2010, 03:14 PM   #20

Liked 341 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
So you want to kill all the wolves to save the deer and the elk... so that you can then go out and kill the deer and the elk? Sounds like you are the one killing just for the fun of it.
It is called management. Just like growing corn or raising cattle. The State of Idaho should manage their game to be harvested and not let the feds tell them what to do. A lot of people depend on the business of hunters spending money to go hunting. What is so hard to understand ?

Closed Thread

Newest Threads