Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Come to Idaho Oct. 7th (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/come-idaho-oct-7th-31644/)

Flat Tire 09-12-2010 03:23 AM

Come to Idaho Oct. 7th
 
Otter gives feds deadline on wolf pact | Idaho News from KTVB.COM | Boise news, Idaho weather, sports, traffic & events | Home

click on that ^^^

nwrednk 09-12-2010 09:15 AM

"Shoot, shovel & shut-up"...
 
Pop & I have not seen any sign of them where we hunt, but we will not be
the first victims of them if confronted by a pack! Unlike California, Idaho
allows us to protect ourselves by carrying a sidearm even when bowhunting!
And we will not accept "being entered into the food chain" lightly by the
(eco-nazis) that chose our state for re-introduction rather than California or
nyc's central park! Last hunting season for wolves was needed BUT, it also
brought out the worst of "nimrods" that overcrowded every patch of forest
by camping in the "middle of it all"! Too many non-resident "nimrods" (and) a
lot of local ones that never hunted a "day in their life", wanted to "be the
first kid on their block" to kill a wolf! Well, it was such an "overcrowded" &
unsafe experience in the woods last year that Pop & I forfeted the last day
of cow elk season (for our safety)! (I wonder if we can be compensated for
that lost day of hunting)!!!:mad:

Flat Tire 09-12-2010 03:35 PM

The Governor of the State of Idaho is going to stop all enforcement for anyone that shoots a wolf. We have almost 900 wolves in the state. Please come to Idaho and help get rid of these animals that should have never been allowed to live here. It has had a horrible effect on our elk and deer populations and we need help.

dog2000tj 09-12-2010 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flat Tire (Post 349316)
We have almost 900 wolves in the state......help get rid of these animals that should have never been allowed to live here.

900? In the entire state? My god man, you folks are over run. I fear your state is lost, you should just pack up and move :rolleyes: According to wikipedia - Idaho has an area of 83,642 sq mi. That equates to 1 wolf every 92 sq miles. In case you weren't aware, a square mile is pretty damn big.

As for never being allowed to live there ... I'm pretty sure the wolves were there first :cool:

Stay safe

Flat Tire 09-12-2010 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dog2000tj (Post 349385)
900? In the entire state? My god man, you folks are over run. I fear your state is lost, you should just pack up and move :rolleyes: According to wikipedia - Idaho has an area of 83,642 sq mi. That equates to 1 wolf every 92 sq miles. In case you weren't aware, a square mile is pretty damn big.

As for never being allowed to live there ... I'm pretty sure the wolves were there first :cool:

Stay safe

One wolf eats 2 deer/elk a month and there are 12 months in a year = 24
24 x 900= 21,600 deer/elk each year. We used to have a good hunting season in Idaho. Those numbers are generous for the wolf. In the spring the wolves have been knocking the crap out of all the new born deer/elk. Maybe you don't know enough about this subject to be so out spoken.
The wolves we had here before were smaller than the canadian grey wolf.
And this animal has had a free for all for to long, its time to remove them completely from the state, and the Butch Otter is trying to make that happen.

joshfireart 09-12-2010 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dog2000tj (Post 349385)
900? In the entire state? My god man, you folks are over run. I fear your state is lost, you should just pack up and move :rolleyes: According to wikipedia - Idaho has an area of 83,642 sq mi. That equates to 1 wolf every 92 sq miles. In case you weren't aware, a square mile is pretty damn big.

As for never being allowed to live there ... I'm pretty sure the wolves were there first :cool:

Stay safe

well you would be wrong these wolves were not hear first. the wolves we had where not grays. They where the size of a big dog. I seen one just last week with in 200 yards of the highway and that far from a house a house and 500 yards from a cafe. Every hunter i know wishes that all the wolves lived in VT

dog2000tj 09-13-2010 01:27 AM

Well a couple points regarding your post Tire,
1.the link you provided leads to an article where the wolf population is estimated to be around 850, not 900 as you stated. Why the difference?
2. You state that wolves eat deer/elk. Which is it that you are using to state your position? Because an elk is roughly 2x the size of a deer. According to info I researched in order to maintain a healthy wolf population a wolf has to eat 7lbs of meat a day. That equates to about 1 deer a month, not 2 as you stated. As you will see it makes a huge difference when coming to a statistical conclusion.
3. So Lets do the math shall we - in order for a healthy wolf population to survive we have 850 wolves x 7lbs x 365 days = 2,171,750lbs of meat. 850 wolves x 2 deer/elk/wolf x 12 months = 20,400 deer/elk. 20,400 deer x 250lbs(ave weight) = 5,100,000lbs of meat. Based on your data the wolves are consuming more than 2x what they need to survive. The discrepancy is even greater when you factor for a 500lb Elk.

Tire, I am sorry that you feel the wolf population has become so out of control in your state. But I can't see based on the info you provided how you can draw your conclusions. So the outright slaughter of an animal is not something I am prepared to agree with. If you can provide more factual info I would be pleased to read it.

And Josh, humans routinely come in contact with wild animals in places you wouldn't likely believe. It's a fact of life, the best you can do is keep your cool, understand what the situation is and protect yourself. But if you feel an animal should be outright slaughtered just because it dampens your hunting season I will have to disagree with you as well. As stated earlier, provide some facts and I will gladly read up on them.

Again, stay safe

Flat Tire 09-13-2010 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dog2000tj (Post 349614)
Well a couple points regarding your post Tire,
1.the link you provided leads to an article where the wolf population is estimated to be around 850, not 900 as you stated. Why the difference?
2. You state that wolves eat deer/elk. Which is it that you are using to state your position? Because an elk is roughly 2x the size of a deer. According to info I researched in order to maintain a healthy wolf population a wolf has to eat 7lbs of meat a day. That equates to about 1 deer a month, not 2 as you stated. As you will see it makes a huge difference when coming to a statistical conclusion.
3. So Lets do the math shall we - in order for a healthy wolf population to survive we have 850 wolves x 7lbs x 365 days = 2,171,750lbs of meat. 850 wolves x 2 deer/elk/wolf x 12 months = 20,400 deer/elk. 20,400 deer x 250lbs(ave weight) = 5,100,000lbs of meat. Based on your data the wolves are consuming more than 2x what they need to survive. The discrepancy is even greater when you factor for a 500lb Elk.
I am sorry that you feel the wolf population has become so out of control in your state. But I can't see based on the info you provided how you can draw your conclusions. So the outright slaughter of an animal is not something I am prepared to agree with. If you can provide more factual info I would be pleased to read it.

Again, stay safe

DUDE they kill for fun, you need to do a little research. You are a little out of touch.

Do a search there are many articles on the subject. YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE MAKING A COMMENT ABOUT !! THE BEARS IN YELLOWSTONE DON'T GO INTO HIBERNATION ANY MORE BECAUSE THERE ARE TOO MANY CARCUSES LAYING AROUND. but you like to make a comment from the east coast, please-

http://missoulian.com/news/local/article_5ff01772-938f-11de-9aca-001cc4c03286.html

dog2000tj 09-13-2010 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flat Tire (Post 349626)
DUDE they kill for fun, you need to do a little research. You are a little out of touch.

Do a search there are many articles on the subject. YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE MAKING A COMMENT ABOUT !! THE BEARS IN YELLOWSTONE DON'T GO INTO HIBERNATION ANY MORE BECAUSE THERE ARE TOO MANY CARCUSES LAYING AROUND. but you like to make a comment from the east coast, please-

Wolves kill 120 sheep at ranch near Dillon

Thanks for the article -
Quote:

"... This is the most extreme case I've ever heard about."
:rolleyes:

Your first post has discrepancies based on the article you provided. Your second post cited the most extreme case ever recorded. You now have introduced Yellowstone bears into the argument without providing any reference material.

You've asked me to do a little research, I did. And what I found is that your statements do not add up to the facts that I have found. So I've asked you to provide some info to back up your posts, and you haven't. What you have done is make some off handed comment to suggest that folks from the east coast don't know anything about interactions with wild animals -

Coyote in suburb attacks caught and killed

World's 10 worst shark attacks - Telegraph - special emphasis on #2 (it was the events that the movie Jaws was based on)

Rabid Bobcat Attacks Vermont Family

So far you haven't won me over, so again i will disagree with the your desire for the wholesale destruction of an animal. I'm an open minded person so keep trying if you like.

As I've stated before, stay safe :)

skullcrusher 09-13-2010 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flat Tire (Post 349626)
DUDE they kill for fun, you need to do a little research. You are a little out of touch.

Now, they kill for fun. Earlier your math was about how many they eat. So, based on what they eat and what they kill for fun, then you should not have any food animals in the whole state. Nevermind that they eat other things than deer and elk. I say kill them all without regard. When they are gone, put signs up at the state line telling the wolves that they are not welcome. That should keep them out and it should also let the deer, elk, bunnies, turkeys and many other varmants know it is safe to move to Idaho. Problem solved.


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:16 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.