Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Cold Weather Gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 11:13 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default Cold Weather Gear

I need recomendations on effective gloves for hunting in cold temps. I have no real problem keeping my core temperature stable and have plenty of clothing for that, but when it comes to my hands I'm a real wuss. Many years ago while serving in Antartica (Seabees) I had my hands and mittens drenched with desiel fuel and was exposed to entreme cold temperatures for long enough to get frostbite. Since then, and more so now that I'm in my 60s, I have a very hard time keeping my paws functional when hunting in the cold, to the point of being distracted by it and going back to the truck to warm up. I'm not old enough to move to Florida yet and I'm about to embark on my anual elk hunt in the Colorado high country. I was thinking about getting a pair of Underarmor gloves to wear under my regular gloves. Will they help with this problem and are they really worth the money or do they just cost a lot because they have the cool logo on them? Any help wil be appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-23-2012, 11:19 AM   #2

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I like those cheap hand warmers they they sell all over the place. I use the mittens with the separate trigger finger. That allows the hand warmer to heat all of the fingers evenly. For me that is the cheapest and most effective way to keep warm.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:31 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2326 Times on 1452 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumman
I like those cheap hand warmers they they sell all over the place. I use the mittens with the separate trigger finger. That allows the hand warmer to heat all of the fingers evenly. For me that is the cheapest and most effective way to keep warm.
Agreed. Flip top mittens with a couple of hand Warmer packs. Also they sell at sporting good stores a "tube" that is insulted straps around your waist like a fanny pack. Stand sitting is the best for that, keep your hands inside with warming packs, and you'll think it's summer.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Eturnsdale Likes This 
Old 10-23-2012, 04:23 PM   #4

Location: First 42 years in Maine Past 19 years in Alaska now back in Maine
Liked 48 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The thing that worked best for me, when i lived in Alaska and hunted @ 40 below. I had a pair of scuba divers neoprene gloves under a light weight gloves. kept my hands warm and also great when gutting and skinning game. none slip on wet or bloody knives.

Last edited by TerryM; 10-23-2012 at 04:31 PM.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:43 PM   #5

Liked 405 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I have a pair of the UA gloves in their seasonal cloth and they're okay. If you want the UA, look at their cold gear gloves, they're a little warmer but you can't beat the mittens. The UA are a lot thinner though and easy to handle your rifle with. You can also operate touch screen devices with them if that matters. (I'm a little partial to that brand if y'all can't tell )

Old 10-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 172 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 376

I have a pair of gander mtn. mittens that fold back to let your fingers and thumb out. Nice thing is that there is ainternal gloves in the mittens, so when you do fold them back to shoot, your fingers are still covered. Another plus is that they have a zippered pouch on the top of each mitten to put a hand warmer into. While hunting, these have serve well and I think they were only around 15 to 20 bucks.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 10-23-2012, 11:32 PM   #7

Liked 53 Times on 42 Posts

I have the black UA glove liners. By themselves they are worthless. Wind passes right through them. But, used as a liner in my leather gloves, they are awesome. I've never had cold fingers since.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:35 PM   #8

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

I like fleece under clothing, I bought a set of bibs the other day at a surplus store for $12.5 also check out Niken.com and look for gloves and socks, shirts that will keep you warm with a ceramic woven material that reflects heat back to you body. I have a pair of socks and gloves that are great!

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 10-24-2012, 02:46 AM   #9

Liked 61 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 71

When I used to bow hunt in the snow gloves were not an option. Like its been mentioned the hand warmer "fanny pack" is the only way to go. Throw a couple hand warmers in the pocket. And plop your hands into it. No need for gloves. I used to use it when I played little league football. As the quarterback I couldnt wear gloves effectively. I had team mates running up and sticking their hands in it all the time.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:20 PM   #10

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

check out these heated jackets at Grainger, part #24U068 you can get camo jackets to # 11A188 for $125, 6 hrs of heat per battery charge.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin