Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Cold Weather Gear (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/cold-weather-gear-74890/)

locnload 10-23-2012 11:13 AM

Cold Weather Gear

I need recomendations on effective gloves for hunting in cold temps. I have no real problem keeping my core temperature stable and have plenty of clothing for that, but when it comes to my hands I'm a real wuss. Many years ago while serving in Antartica (Seabees) I had my hands and mittens drenched with desiel fuel and was exposed to entreme cold temperatures for long enough to get frostbite. Since then, and more so now that I'm in my 60s, I have a very hard time keeping my paws functional when hunting in the cold, to the point of being distracted by it and going back to the truck to warm up. I'm not old enough to move to Florida yet and I'm about to embark on my anual elk hunt in the Colorado high country. I was thinking about getting a pair of Underarmor gloves to wear under my regular gloves. Will they help with this problem and are they really worth the money or do they just cost a lot because they have the cool logo on them? Any help wil be appreciated.:confused:

magnumman 10-23-2012 11:19 AM

I like those cheap hand warmers they they sell all over the place. I use the mittens with the separate trigger finger. That allows the hand warmer to heat all of the fingers evenly. For me that is the cheapest and most effective way to keep warm.

kytowboater 10-23-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnumman
I like those cheap hand warmers they they sell all over the place. I use the mittens with the separate trigger finger. That allows the hand warmer to heat all of the fingers evenly. For me that is the cheapest and most effective way to keep warm.

Agreed. Flip top mittens with a couple of hand Warmer packs. Also they sell at sporting good stores a "tube" that is insulted straps around your waist like a fanny pack. Stand sitting is the best for that, keep your hands inside with warming packs, and you'll think it's summer.

TerryM 10-23-2012 04:23 PM

The thing that worked best for me, when i lived in Alaska and hunted @ 40 below. I had a pair of scuba divers neoprene gloves under a light weight gloves. kept my hands warm and also great when gutting and skinning game. none slip on wet or bloody knives.

ShagNasty1001 10-23-2012 05:43 PM

I have a pair of the UA gloves in their seasonal cloth and they're okay. If you want the UA, look at their cold gear gloves, they're a little warmer but you can't beat the mittens. The UA are a lot thinner though and easy to handle your rifle with. You can also operate touch screen devices with them if that matters. (I'm a little partial to that brand if y'all can't tell :p )

colmustard 10-23-2012 07:54 PM

I have a pair of gander mtn. mittens that fold back to let your fingers and thumb out. Nice thing is that there is ainternal gloves in the mittens, so when you do fold them back to shoot, your fingers are still covered. Another plus is that they have a zippered pouch on the top of each mitten to put a hand warmer into. While hunting, these have serve well and I think they were only around 15 to 20 bucks.

msup752 10-23-2012 11:32 PM

I have the black UA glove liners. By themselves they are worthless. Wind passes right through them. But, used as a liner in my leather gloves, they are awesome. I've never had cold fingers since.

tri70 10-23-2012 11:35 PM

I like fleece under clothing, I bought a set of bibs the other day at a surplus store for $12.5 also check out Niken.com and look for gloves and socks, shirts that will keep you warm with a ceramic woven material that reflects heat back to you body. I have a pair of socks and gloves that are great!

Kdub 10-24-2012 02:46 AM

When I used to bow hunt in the snow gloves were not an option. Like its been mentioned the hand warmer "fanny pack" is the only way to go. Throw a couple hand warmers in the pocket. And plop your hands into it. No need for gloves. I used to use it when I played little league football. As the quarterback I couldnt wear gloves effectively. I had team mates running up and sticking their hands in it all the time.

tri70 10-24-2012 02:20 PM

check out these heated jackets at Grainger, part #24U068 you can get camo jackets to # 11A188 for $125, 6 hrs of heat per battery charge.