Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Cleaning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2008, 04:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Cleaning

I have had a few firearms but am wondering about how to clean a new hunting rifle. I have shot it once and plan on taking it to the range to get it sighted tomorrow. What is this I hear about not cleaning the barrel as it messes with the accuracy and consistency of the shot? Why is this different than any other gun, say a pistol or a fun gun (AK-47)?

Thanks for the help, Im new on here and new to the hunting world so any advice would be appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-19-2008, 02:07 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

not cleaning it?? they must be nuts lol Cleaner guns will always perform better and shoot better. If its a bolt action take bolt out and clean from bolt side, if ya cant do that clean from other end making sure not to let cleaning rod scrape crown of the barrel , use ya fingers as a guide to protect it, shotguns? autos and pumps take the barrel off and clean them from breach end, S&S and O/U just open the action and clean them from back to front.As for the actions just get you some brake cleaner or gun scrubber they sell anywhere and spray the action out, then making sure you reoil it with something like Rem Oil .

Old 01-20-2008, 02:32 PM   #3

Default new gun break-in...

..there supose to be a proper way to clean a new rifle for best results,
shoot three shots,then clean,something in that manner untill the rifle bore
is broke-in,,

Old 01-22-2008, 08:09 PM   #4

When I shot High-Power with an M14 it wasn't necessary to clean the weapon after every shooting session. Now to clarify. If accuracy and reliability of cycling weren't affected then there was no need to "clean" it in the traditional sense. A cursory patch or two through the barrel and a re-grease was all that was needed. The less times the action had to be removed from the stock the better it was for the bedding. I think the OP may be confusing barrel break-in with cleaning.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righteous View Post
not cleaning it?? they must be nuts lol Cleaner guns will always perform better and shoot better. If its a bolt action take bolt out and clean from bolt side, if ya cant do that clean from other end making sure not to let cleaning rod scrape crown of the barrel , use ya fingers as a guide to protect it, shotguns? autos and pumps take the barrel off and clean them from breach end, S&S and O/U just open the action and clean them from back to front.As for the actions just get you some brake cleaner or gun scrubber they sell anywhere and spray the action out, then making sure you reoil it with something like Rem Oil .
That is not always true. ALL of my rimfires like a "dirty" barrle. I'm not saying I never clean them, but I only clean them after accuracy starts to suffer. After I clean them, the groups will open up noticably for a while then they will come back into there own after several rounds. Or if the gun is going to set for a long time, I give them a good cleaning.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:07 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt View Post
That is not always true. ALL of my rimfires like a "dirty" barrle. I'm not saying I never clean them, but I only clean them after accuracy starts to suffer. After I clean them, the groups will open up noticably for a while then they will come back into there own after several rounds. Or if the gun is going to set for a long time, I give them a good cleaning.
Rimfire???????!!!!! get a real rifle

Old 01-23-2008, 06:30 AM   #7

I've got real rifles, but rimfires are more fun, beside the statement you made was far from true.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:11 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

knew that get to ya lol rimfires more fun ?? dammmmmmmmmm you need to go shooting with me one time, you never pick up that dam pea shooter again

Last edited by Righteous; 01-23-2008 at 10:13 AM.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:22 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2550 Times on 1338 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Default Cleaning

Our snipers shoot weekly, clean and fire one "fouling shot" to prepare for needing to shoot for real. A clean barrel will give a SLIGHTLY different point of impact than a fouled barrel. Yes, it can be too clean.

Old 01-26-2008, 02:48 AM   #10

Default Rifles need to be cleaned

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Our snipers shoot weekly, clean and fire one "fouling shot" to prepare for needing to shoot for real. A clean barrel will give a SLIGHTLY different point of impact than a fouled barrel. Yes, it can be too clean.
Rifles need to be cleaned in cordination with the amount of rounds fired through it. Sniper rules were one in and out with an solvent soaked brush for every shot fired. Then the first shot is a "Clean Bore Shot". After the first shot your gun is dirty, but there is a point that accuracy needs to be brought back. Depending on how big of group you can live with.
I shoot the .300 Weatherby a bunch and have had to replace barrels that burnt out.
But nothing is cooler than a 300 yrd shot with a .22 LR and a Prairie dog goes down!!!

Accuracy first! You can't miss fast enough to win! :D :)

Last edited by matt g; 01-26-2008 at 04:31 AM.