Claiming a buck - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum >

Claiming a buck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2009, 03:00 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Not so. Make a better shot thru the heart next time, so sorry...
FYI--Heart shot deer with bow will run farther (up to 250yards). The double lung shot is the quickest way to kill a deer with an arrow (outside of a spine/head shot) There is usually less than 125yard blood trail following dbl lung....02

As to the OP's question----What may be "legal" and hunting ethics aren't entirely the same thing.
If I was the rifleman in this scenario, the bowhunter gets the deer no question. Now if it was gutshot or hit in the a$$,etc--Im takin the deer.

Traditional ethics say rifle shot deer goes to whoever shot it last. However, there are jagoffs that will have another hunters deer drop dead in front of them and they'll shoot it again on the ground and take the deer as their own.

I look upon that like I look at people that dont stand for the national anthem---
Just because its not illegal doesn't mean you're not an a$$hole

Personally if a deer comes up to me mortally wounded with a rifle and I drop it, Im waiting for the hunter who shot it to trail the deer and they can have it. I mean it could be some kids first deer or something.
Thats just me. They dont show up to claim it, im takin it.
Beyond the speed of sound---
Fire it up, Let the engines roll
It's time to burn it down

Old 11-22-2009, 11:22 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 88 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I agree with what gatekeeper said above.

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 11-22-2009, 01:17 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Some hunters go by the ole "first blood" rule which IMO sucks. I'm of the "first killing shot" school.

I once shot a whitetail with a .338 mag in the liver that ran nearly four hundred yard before it realized it was dead. Along this whitetails death run, another hunter shot it in the ass with a .243. He eventually agreed with me that the 13 pointer was my deer after some coaxing from his hunting buddies. If this gentleman would have made a better shot on the whitetail, let say heart or lungs, I would of let him have the deer hands down.

IMO sportsman-like conduct should be first and foremost when hunting, otherwise, we are no better than the animals we pursue.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:30 PM   #14

Liked 62 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 46

It's a matter of sporstmanship and character, I would give the deer to the bow hunter. If it is a matter of feeding my family or not, I would probably go along with Canebreak!

Old 11-24-2009, 04:50 PM   #15

bowhunter....

Old 11-24-2009, 06:16 PM   #16

Liked 824 Times on 579 Posts
Likes Given: 918

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Seriously, there would be no question about holes made by any weapon. Dead is dead tagged is tagged and checked is checked. Are you are saying that the first shooter on a deer in your state is the legal tagger of the dead deer?
Legally, yes. But proving what was the 1st shot may be a different story. As stated, Bow hunter has a stick and string...

I was called to track a Buck last year by a Bow hunter. I know him. This is funny. He was in his stand on the edge of a field, A nice buck steps out so he draws back. As he releases the buck kicks up its back legs and pivots, @ss to him. He ends up w/ a shot right up its @ss. The buck took off back into the woods, flights visible under its tail. He had no blood trail, so he calls me freaking out. It would have been real black and useless to go out that night. I told him to get up early and walk across this 18 acre field. He found it the next morning near the edge of the woods at the far end. He severed the femoral artery. The buck ran at least 400 yards. He was lucky the coyotes didn't get it. In NH your name and address has to be on every arrow shaft. If someone else found it, he could have been in a world of trouble.
I've not told that story to any folks around here, he would never live it down.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:53 PM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7283 Times on 3874 Posts
Likes Given: 568

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Legally, yes. But proving what was the 1st shot may be a different story. As stated, Bow hunter has a stick and string...

I was called to track a Buck last year by a Bow hunter. I know him. This is funny. He was in his stand on the edge of a field, A nice buck steps out so he draws back. As he releases the buck kicks up its back legs and pivots, @ss to him. He ends up w/ a shot right up its @ss. The buck took off back into the woods, flights visible under its tail. He had no blood trail, so he calls me freaking out. It would have been real black and useless to go out that night. I told him to get up early and walk across this 18 acre field. He found it the next morning near the edge of the woods at the far end. He severed the femoral artery. The buck ran at least 400 yards. He was lucky the coyotes didn't get it. In NH your name and address has to be on every arrow shaft. If someone else found it, he could have been in a world of trouble.
I've not told that story to any folks around here, he would never live it down.
wow i would so use taht story accidentally shooting an arrow up a deer's butt... i dont think you could do that if you were trying for the "ten ring"

Old 11-24-2009, 08:28 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5742 Times on 3366 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
He ends up w/ a shot right up its @ss. The buck took off back into the woods, flights visible under its tail.
I always heard "bull's eye" not "bull's butthole".

Old 11-24-2009, 10:49 PM   #19

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Around here, we call that a "West Virginia Heart Shot"
Beyond the speed of sound---
Fire it up, Let the engines roll
It's time to burn it down

Old 11-25-2009, 12:48 AM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

maybe this is part of the reason that there are seperate seasons for bow and rifle.