Claiming a buck
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum >

Claiming a buck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2009, 11:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Claiming a buck

Hello to all, new to the board.

I have a basis question when it comes to deer hunting with a gun, and wanted to basically poll all die-hard gunners as to what they would do in the following scenario?

Scenario, you are out buck hunting with a gun, and a great buck comes running into view and you drop him, and were talking an exceptional buck in the eyes of the gunner. As you approach the downed buck you notice a bowhunter following up on the same buck. And after further inspection the bowhunter had but a perfect double lung shot on the buck, but after the buck traveled another 60 yards or so, and the time it took the bowhunter to get out of his stand and on the buck, you finished him, although the bowhunters shot would have had the same results within another minute timeframe?

Would you give up the buck to the bowhunter or claim it? I realize most situtations say, it's whoever drops it when it comes to gun hunting. But in this scenario what would you do? Were talking a lethal shot that just required a bit more time, not talking about a bad shot on him? Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-21-2009, 11:52 PM   #2

Liked 776 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 842

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limbhanger View Post
Hello to all, new to the board.

I have a basis question when it comes to deer hunting with a gun, and wanted to basically poll all die-hard gunners as to what they would do in the following scenario?

Scenario, you are out buck hunting with a gun, and a great buck comes running into view and you drop him, and were talking an exceptional buck in the eyes of the gunner. As you approach the downed buck you notice a bowhunter following up on the same buck. And after further inspection the bowhunter had but a perfect double lung shot on the buck, but after the buck traveled another 60 yards or so, and the time it took the bowhunter to get out of his stand and on the buck, you finished him, although the bowhunters shot would have had the same results within another minute timeframe?

Would you give up the buck to the bowhunter or claim it? I realize most situtations say, it's whoever drops it when it comes to gun hunting. But in this scenario what would you do? Were talking a lethal shot that just required a bit more time, not talking about a bad shot on him? Thanks

It is the Bow hunters deer!!

Old 11-22-2009, 12:00 AM   #3

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

First, welcome to the forum. How's about stopping in the Introductions thread to say hello and tell us something about yourself.

I am curious as to what guys say on the hunting forums have to say on the matter.

For me, it is whomever kills the deer gets the deer. Who is to say that this deer did not have some super healing skillz to mend the lung shot? Did the gun hunter not see the HUGE blood spew from the arrow lung shot?

It is skecthy, but it is the hunter who DROPS the animal dead who wins. I would (as a hunter both bow and gun) not be happy as either hunter, but rules are rules. The unwritten rule is just plain old respect of other hunters.

I would feel bad shooting at an injured deer. Lung shots are not the type where the deer just walks off with no obvious blood. At 60 yds from the arrow shot, that deer is not acting normally, nor is it not bleeding profusely.

Tough one to call. Maybe arm wrestle for it. Flip a coin.

How big is the buck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 11-22-2009, 12:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
It is the Bow hunters deer!!
Not so. Make a better shot thru the heart next time, so sorry...

Quote:

Old 11-22-2009, 12:25 AM   #5

Liked 776 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 842

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Not so. Make a better shot thru the heart next time, so sorry...

Well when you go to register the animal, the registar may have a question or 2 about the extra holes made by a broadhead. I have had deer that I have shot scooped up by other hunters, hunters as in more than one. I carry a sidearm. If the bowhunter's shot a leathal, it is his. I'll help him drag it.

Edit: But that is me and my State laws...

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 11-22-2009 at 12:37 AM.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:43 AM   #6

Liked 1443 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Simple, shoot the bow hunter, you have the gun!

reindeer-deer-hunting-christmas-ruldolph.jpg

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 11-22-2009, 01:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Well when you go to register the animal, the registar may have a question or 2 about the extra holes made by a broadhead. I have had deer that I have shot scooped up by other hunters, hunters as in more than one. I carry a sidearm. If the bowhunter's shot a leathal, it is his. I'll help him drag it.

Edit: But that is me and my State laws...
Seriously, there would be no question about holes made by any weapon. Dead is dead tagged is tagged and checked is checked. Are you are saying that the first shooter on a deer in your state is the legal tagger of the dead deer?

Quote:

Old 11-22-2009, 01:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Simple, shoot the bow hunter, you have the gun!

Attachment 7960
Always with the easy way out that smacks ya in the face like the reality of an ugly girlfriend. Good point, Cane.

Quote:

Old 11-22-2009, 02:10 AM   #9

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

I keep it because I have a gun he has a stick that flings sticks.

My 30-06 kills you faster than your stick kills me.

Me I would let the guy who first shot it have it unless it was a gut shot.

Old 11-22-2009, 02:51 AM   #10

West coast hunters have a bow season and a rifle season so that situation is implausible. I assume that this is whitetail? East coast?