cell phones and hunting

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > cell phones and hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2009, 03:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default cell phones and hunting

what is wrong with people today. a couple of days ago i went dove hunting with a friend and his 23 yr old son among a few other people.we all got set up and ready to hunt,once the birds started flying we always yell to each other "comeing your way,comeing from the east"etc.I turned to yell at the boy and what do i see? him on his phone texting,this happened a few more times till everyone just quit yelling at him(about birds).This isnt the first time ive seen this happen and probably not the last,but it is irritateing.everyone has phones today and there are much worst things that can be done(texting and driveing)but if you want to go hunt turn it off leave it in the truckor better yet if you HAVE to text stay in the truck.

if you dont shoot you dont hit,if you do shoot you might hit ..................... Once a soldier always a soldier A trp 1/7 cav

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-14-2009, 04:01 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8877 Times on 3844 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

Well, if you had a friend to toss the cell phone high enuff, you could play "Cell Phone Skeet". Double points if you catch it on a ring....

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 09-14-2009, 04:50 AM   #3

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I understand your anger, but obviously, not everyone has the same passion for dove hunting as you. I'd write it off to it is what it is. If the same guy goes again, propose a rule of not texting while dove hunting. You will find out what the guy wants to do most.

I take my cell (SILENT MODE) when I go hunt nowadays. It can be a good safety and survival tool should I need it. I DO NOT text from my stand or blind. It also makes wifey a little less worried.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 09-14-2009, 05:41 AM   #4

Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
I understand your anger, but obviously, not everyone has the same passion for dove hunting as you. I'd write it off to it is what it is. If the same guy goes again, propose a rule of not texting while dove hunting. You will find out what the guy wants to do most.

I take my cell (SILENT MODE) when I go hunt nowadays. It can be a good safety and survival tool should I need it. I DO NOT text from my stand or blind. It also makes wifey a little less worried.
Bingo. I personally would just leave the guy behind UNLESS he asked to come. Then I would say ok (I dont want to stop someone from enjoying the sport of hunting/shooting if they really want to come) if they didnt bring the phone.

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 09-14-2009, 11:15 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I take my phone with me when I hunt if I'm in an area where it still works with the ringer turned off. I do so for several reasons, as mentioned it's a good safety tool should an accident happen and what if something happens to my wife? I can still be reached.

I admit I would find it annoying to take someone hunting, try to help them with the birds and they're too busy texting their girlfriend to shoulder a shotgun.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 09-14-2009, 01:48 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Sounds like Jr. wasn't really into dove hunting. I wouldn't worry about it a bit. Let him text away while you shoot his birds; if nothing else, he's carrying some spare ammo for you.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:54 PM   #7

Leave him at home. That's Crazy. I go hunting to avoid the people who want to talk to me. The world is changing.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by meek View Post
Leave him at home. That's Crazy. I go hunting to avoid the people who want to talk to me. The world is changing.
++++++++++

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 09-14-2009, 04:11 PM   #9
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 698 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 729

I take my cell phone with me but I turn it off. Emergencies only. If someone want talking on their phone while hunting or fishing I wouldn't bring them again.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:18 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I guess im different i take mine everytime i go deer hunting especially if i am with someone else. My uncle and I hunt on seperate sides of an 80 acre patch and we text each other from our stands to see where the deer are and what they are doing.