Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Caught These Hogs on Wednesday

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2011, 08:47 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairbear1

We certainly do.They were imported into the country back in the 1800's with their Afghan riders/owners to help open up and explore the country in Western Australia/Central Australia Western Queensland through the desert areas.

Once road and rail was started the camels were turned loose and are now in pest proportions to the stage where they are culled at every attempt to try and reduce their numbers as they eat just about any plant and are 1 of the causes of soil erosion.
We actually export some camels back to Arabia as apparently we have the last of the truly wild camels left in the world and their is camel meat exported as well but not much as the costs to get a chiller into some of the more remote parts of the outback is just too cost prohibitive so they get shot and left for the wild dogs,eagles,foxes and crows to clean up,regards
How is camel meat? Anything at all like horse?

Old 11-20-2011, 08:51 PM   #22

Liked 336 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
How is camel meat? Anything at all like horse?
Sorry can't help you there but from what I can gather from some of the blokes on the Australian forum I'm a member of it's not to bad and I've never eaten horse so that's strike 2 but apparently horse meat does get exported to Germany from here as well as wild pork,regards

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

Old 11-20-2011, 08:54 PM   #23

Quote:

Sorry can't help you there but from what I can gather from some of the blokes on the Australian forum I'm a member of it's not to bad and I've never eaten horse so that's strike 2 but apparently horse meat does get exported to Germany from here as well as wild pork,regards
I like some horse meat. But even though they are prey animals, they are also pets too. Some folks consider it a bit taboo to eat them.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:03 PM   #24
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2220 Times on 1112 Posts
Likes Given: 1140

Alsaqar,

In fact I just had grilled wild pig from Texas last night. Cut the loin roast open right straight down the middle stuffed it with jalapeno peppers in the cut, string tied it shut. Put a spicy Cajun pork rub on the outside, set the grill at 350 deg. And grilled it to 165 deg. inside and wallah! Dinner for a King!
And they are better than store bought pork and with no growth chemicals!

Old 11-20-2011, 09:19 PM   #25

Quote:
I like some horse meat. But even though they are prey animals, they are also pets too. Some folks consider it a bit taboo to eat them.
Yep we have the same thing for horses here in Australia.There are places where wild horses are shot because they're feral pests and I did shoot some on my cull hunt trip to the Northern Territory but I don't really care if I shoot them or not as the property owner wanted them shot along with any donkeys as they were competing for food with his cattle so I suppose you could call me mercenary for that but 1 thing I won't tolerate is wounding an animal and then leaving it to die a slow painful death and it's something that my Dad taught me and I've passed it onto my young fella,regards

Old 11-20-2011, 10:06 PM   #26

Quote:

Yep we have the same thing for horses here in Australia.There are places where wild horses are shot because they're feral pests and I did shoot some on my cull hunt trip to the Northern Territory but I don't really care if I shoot them or not as the property owner wanted them shot along with any donkeys as they were competing for food with his cattle so I suppose you could call me mercenary for that but 1 thing I won't tolerate is wounding an animal and then leaving it to die a slow painful death and it's something that my Dad taught me and I've passed it onto my young fella,regards
Oh lord. If you don't have bureaucrats going ape over that kind of stuff, one day you will. Folks over here would be crucified for killing horses and donkeys for competing with cattle.

I won't knock it as long as the animal is put to use. Horse hide makes some of the toughest and sturdiest I that I know of. Granted, I haven't tried all types of leather. I'd live to get my hands on some good horse hide though.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:51 PM   #27

Quote:
Oh lord. If you don't have bureaucrats going ape over that kind of stuff, one day you will. Folks over here would be crucified for killing horses and donkeys for competing with cattle.

I won't knock it as long as the animal is put to use. Horse hide makes some of the toughest and sturdiest I that I know of. Granted, I haven't tried all types of leather. I'd live to get my hands on some good horse hide though.
Don't worry our bunch of bureaucrats are the same sort of jelly spined mongrels as yours are,seems to be a genetic thing.

A few years ago there was a feral horse cull in one of the National Parks done by our so called professional govt. shooters out of 'choppers and there was a few horses that were wounded and the media got hold of it.

The **** storm that followed was incredible with most of the general public calling for the banning of horse shooting and why weren't the horses trapped and either sold or relocated instead of being shot and left to die horrible slow deaths etc,etc.

Now over here the Animal Libbers,anti gun mobs are dead against anybody owning guns much like you blokes are copping and they claim that only "professional" shooters should be used to control feral animals and not a bunch of potential mass murderers who drive around drunk and shooting everything in sight,yet they convieniently forget that it was the so called "professional" shooters who caused the unneccessary suffering of those horses,so go figure.
If it wasn't for the everyday hunter knocking over feral pigs,goats,cats,dogs,camels,deer,rabbits,hares,scr ub cattle and buffalo plus the Kangaroo industry keeping the 'roos under control there'd be no farming possible but according to the anti's our Kangaroo's are in danger of being extinct from being almost shot out but this is so far from the truth that it's laughable as a lot of studies done on the 'roo's shows that since white man has been here the 'roo populations have increased because of farming and dams being put in so there's more food and more reliable water supplies around so they breed like fly's,so don't believe anything that the Animal Libbers tell you about us slaughtering our national emblem for the fun of it as it also gets used for pet meat and human consumption as well,regards

Old 11-21-2011, 01:02 AM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1978 Times on 1064 Posts
Likes Given: 2950

Quote:
In fact I just had grilled wild pig from Texas last night. Cut the loin roast open right straight down the middle stuffed it with jalapeno peppers in the cut, string tied it shut. Put a spicy Cajun pork rub on the outside, set the grill at 350 deg. And grilled it to 165 deg. inside and wallah! Dinner for a King
Reading your post makes me hungry.

Once a year we do the pig in the ground thing with a good sized wild hog. The hog cooks in the ground on hot round rocks for 12 hours. Got to immerse the hog briefly in boiling water and scrape the hair off. Makes it easier if the hog has long hair; then you can pull most of it off.