Caught These Hogs on Wednesday - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum >

Caught These Hogs on Wednesday

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2011, 01:22 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 85 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 5

How does the meat compare to store bought meat?

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 11-20-2011, 01:51 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2571 Times on 1418 Posts
Likes Given: 4081

Quote:
How does the meat compare to store bought meat?
The ones with some fat are delicious. A real skinny wild hog is not good at all. Most wild hogs do not have bacon; their bellies are thin. This one was an exception and we kept it:

Caught These Hogs on Wednesday - Hunting Forum

Old 11-20-2011, 02:23 AM   #13

Liked 1310 Times on 743 Posts
Likes Given: 633

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy View Post
I've been watching the redneck family in TX catch and hogtie the pigs on their show. I'm not sure I would do that very many times when I have a gun handy.
When it's warm/hot-temperature wise,you need to hobble the hogs and keep them alive until you can get them where you can process them.It only takes a few minutes in the heat for the meat to spoil if you kill them when you catch them.
That's the main reason for it.

I would really like to know where the hell the Discovery channel finds some of these people.Some of these shows are pretty stupid! And American Hogger is one of them.
North American Hunting Club

Old 11-20-2011, 04:29 AM   #14

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

They're from your neck of the woods TX!

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 11-20-2011, 11:42 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2571 Times on 1418 Posts
Likes Given: 4081

Quote:
Man! I wish we had a gfood size herd of them in Wis. give me something else then deer to hunt.
With all due respect, you don't want them in WI.

Wild hogs have reached pest status in TX and much of OK. They greatly impact the deer population. i've watched wild hogs chase the deer from wheatfields, out of game plots and away from feeders. Deer don't like to drink from ponds where hogs wallow. Hogs eat up the acorns and pecans. A big sounder of wild hogs is like a vacuum cleaner going over the ground; they destroy the nests and young of ground nesting birds. They root up the ground like it was plowed. i've seen big boar hogs eat fawns.

In late 2010 we have started trapping hogs on our place in Garvin county, OK. By mid May we had caught over 40 wild hogs there. The only hogs that showed on the game cameras were a few solitary boars. In September, 2011 the hogs came back big time.

The place where the hogs in the photo were caught is heavily hunted by hog doggers. Those hogs are totally nocturnal, they come out mostly after midnight; after the doggers have left.

i'm convinced the only to make a dent in the hog population is by trapping. The folks on Ft. Sill greatly reduced their wild hog population by trapping.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:06 PM   #16

Liked 414 Times on 228 Posts

We are starting to have a problem with hogs here in arkansas up around our area. I know several people who have started trapping them and hunting them. A lady I work withs husband traps 5 or 6 a month at the farm he works at, he only sets the traps a few days a month. A man hit a 450lb hog about three years ago here on the highway, it totaled his conversion van. I'm about to start hunting them here in Arkansas there are several doing damage on some large farms. We don't want the problem Texas and Ok are having here. Best of luck in your trapping if I get time I will try to get a picture of a trap a friend built it lowers the trap and when a hog is caught it can be winched up and pinned in place so the hog can be taken to the processor still alive. Works great for the big hogs he donates to local family's. The processor calls the people and helps distribute the meat free of charge. In this economy we should all be donating something if we can!

play the victim, be the victim

Old 11-20-2011, 12:18 PM   #17

Likes Given: 1

Default A little known fact !

We got alot of hogs here in Iowa , as we keep 'em all locked up !

Last edited by Carpshooter; 11-20-2011 at 12:19 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 11-20-2011, 07:13 PM   #18

Liked 537 Times on 287 Posts
Likes Given: 34

You blokes think you've got pig problems,here in Australia the last count of feral pigs in Australia was estimated at 23 million pigs,thats roughly 1 pig per person.
The pigs from the back country I wouldn't like to eat but the pigs from around the mountain country would be a better thing to eat as they forage more on grass,roots,windfall apples off some of the orchards where as the western pigs and those from up around the Northern Territory/Western Australia will eat anything they can find ranging from grass to kangaroo,camel,buffalo carcasses.
These couple of pigs a mate and I shot were from a recent trip to our Northern Territory on a pig,horse,donkey and wild dog cull and my young fella's 1st ever pig shot at 10 yards off the bait station just behind him with a CMC .270 Mountaineer using a 130gn GameKing,regards
dscf0467.jpg   dscf0437.jpg  

Old 11-20-2011, 07:47 PM   #19

Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

You have camels in australia? Wow, I just didn't know that.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:26 PM   #20

Liked 537 Times on 287 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
You have camels in australia? Wow, I just didn't know that.
We certainly do.They were imported into the country back in the 1800's with their Afghan riders/owners to help open up and explore the country in Western Australia/Central Australia Western Queensland through the desert areas.

Once road and rail was started the camels were turned loose and are now in pest proportions to the stage where they are culled at every attempt to try and reduce their numbers as they eat just about any plant and are 1 of the causes of soil erosion.
We actually export some camels back to Arabia as apparently we have the last of the truly wild camels left in the world and their is camel meat exported as well but not much as the costs to get a chiller into some of the more remote parts of the outback is just too cost prohibitive so they get shot and left for the wild dogs,eagles,foxes and crows to clean up,regards