Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Can you take sombody out hunting if they have a felony? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/can-you-take-sombody-out-hunting-if-they-have-felony-71665/)

Hdq 09-02-2012 08:00 PM

Can you take sombody out hunting if they have a felony?

When I was young I stopped talking to my father for 2years he was a loser and an idiot anyways the story goes deeper but anywho now im alot older and a responsible law abiding citizen and my dad is older now and I would like to bond with him and re connect I was thinking about a father and son hunting trip I would really enjoy it. he hasnt been around alot durring my childhood and I had to learn to hunt on my own. I was thinking about bringing him along but totaly forget he is a convicted felon! And I do not want to get in trouble by the law and risk getting my firearms taken away because of him and his choices he made so is it okay to bring him along for a hunt? I have deer tags under my name that expire soon can he even be around a firearm? Can he shoot one of my guns? Or is it best to not even mention the hunting trip to him? He is old now almost 55 and I dont think hes been in trouble for a while.

Chainfire 09-02-2012 08:04 PM

Unless he has had his civil rights reinstated he can not legally handle a firearm period. Nor can he be around one if he has access to it. Take dad to the ball game, keep him away from guns.

trip286 09-02-2012 08:11 PM

Man, there are so many ways to get around this. There are also so many options that are infinitely better than putting your pecker on a chopping block for some "after the fact" father/son time.

Think long and hard. For one, if you're sharing a blind, and there's no LE in the blind, no one is going to know if you hand him a rifle to take a shot.

He may still be able to use black powder, so check into that.

Archery.

As mentioned, ball game. There are also car shows, races, concerts, fishing... Just about an infinite number of things to do.

And, do you think fishing might be a better idea? At least you can actually chit chat and drink a beer while doing that.

Hdq 09-02-2012 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainfire
Unless he has had his civil rights reinstated he can not legally handle a firearm period. Nor can he be around one if he has access to it. Take dad to the ball game, keep him away from guns.

Ehh I dont really like baseball lol maybe if I gave him a bow? Not an actual firearm becuae it uses arrows or maybe a pellet rifle And rabitt hunting? Would that be ok?

fmj 09-02-2012 08:12 PM

55 is old!?!?

I could be wrong...but i believe a muzzle loader or other BP gun are not considered to be "Guns or firearms"

Might wanna check with a lawyer instead of here to be safe.

ineverFTF 09-02-2012 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fmj
55 is old!?!?

I could be wrong...but i believe a muzzle loader or other BP gun are not considered to be "Guns or firearms"

Might wanna check with a lawyer instead of here to be safe.

It depends on the state/county wether or not a BP is defined as a "firearm".

A higher power 22 caliber pellet gun would be ok for rabbits but you better be one helluva shot

c3shooter 09-02-2012 09:17 PM

As said- until a felon has his civil rights INCLUDING guns restored, he may not possess or have uncontrolled access to a firearm (left alone with one in the truck, etc).

Under FEDERAL law, a muzzle loading rifle is not a firearm- HOWEVER, it is under some STATE laws. BTW, a felon may not use 209 primers- they are classed as ammunition, which they may NOT possess. #11 caps are OK. So is a bow, a spear, an atlatl or a slingshot.

However, have you thought about taking him fishing?

BRAD313 09-02-2012 11:41 PM

I don't know where u live but where I live any thing that fires a projectile of a size of .17 or bigger is classified as a firearm because people were trying to cheat the law in many ways so they can try to hunt and have guns a felon can't own buy or even be in house or car with a gun. If u choose to take him be careful . I would call a lawyer n see what u need to do to get his rights restored . Just remember DNR officer's are state cops first so state law will be enforced even if county law says u can and state law says no

Rick1967 09-03-2012 12:03 AM

I feel for you hdq. I was in a similar situation with my father. Problem is he is still a total loser. I tried the build a relationship thing. But after 20 some odd years it was just too late. I dont even speak with him anymore.

Dont risk your firearms rights for him. Take him fishing. See if you can salvage the relationship. I hope it works out for you. My relationship with my son is awesome.

Old_Crow 09-03-2012 10:27 PM

I bought a nice benjamin 22 cal pellet rifle. It was sweet shooting. It fell apart after about 1500 rounds. Luckily I got it from Walmart and it was less than 90 days old. Gamo pellet rifles are built using the same components. You will likely get the same results with a Gamo.

I have a crossman phantom that has shot 10's of thousands of rounds. It has never given me a problem. But it's a .177. Benjamin is owned by crossman - go figure

I have been separated from my Father. No matter what I do our relationship remains icy. Don't set your self up for a nad experience. I would just take him out to eat. Take things slowly.