Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > can they be hunting dogs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2012, 12:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default can they be hunting dogs

i was wondering if border collies and kuvasz can be good hunting dogs i want to do duck hunting and small game

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-15-2012, 12:12 AM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911beast
i was wondering if border collies and kuvasz can be good hunting dogs i want to do duck hunting and small game
Any dog can be a hunting dog. The biggest challenge is to teach them to not run when you shoot lol. Once they get used to the shooting you should be fine because it's usually a dogs nature to run after or chase out other animals. Take them shooting and keep them tied up near you to get used to the gun fire and get them the squeak toys that resemble the animal you hunt

Old 08-15-2012, 01:34 AM   #3

Liked 844 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 829

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine04 View Post
Any dog can be a hunting dog. The biggest challenge is to teach them to not run when you shoot lol. Once they get used to the shooting you should be fine because it's usually a dogs nature to run after or chase out other animals. Take them shooting and keep them tied up near you to get used to the gun fire and get them the squeak toys that resemble the animal you hunt

marine04, is correct any dog can be a hunting dog, when I was a kid we had a full-size black Poodle, best coon dog you ever seen, so your answer is YES..................

When all else fails.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:48 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6144 Times on 3726 Posts
Likes Given: 7016

Poodles ARE hunting dogs. Border Colllies are herding dogs by instinct and breeding. You probably could teach a Border Collie to hunt but I would highly recommend getting a hunting breed of dog to teach to hunt. Just makes more sense to me.

I have a Border Collie. To excercise and entertain him, we play fetching and herding games. It's best to work with the natural instincts of the breed of dog you have.

Get a hunting dog that best fits the kind of hunting you are going to do.

gunnut07 Likes This 
Old 08-15-2012, 10:11 AM   #5

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

WOC is spot on.

While a Border Collie is a smart dog (The Smartest in fact). They are also very high energy. BC's like to herd things. I had one as a kid and you could teach that dog just about anything. But, a lot of times she would revert back to her instinct of herding. At one time she had herded all the dogs in the neighborhood into a pack and was driving them all over the place.

Like WOC said work with the natural drive of the dog to get the best results.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:58 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1365 Times on 1034 Posts
Likes Given: 1768

Default Fore.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911beast View Post
Mey shey', talk to the owners of Golf courses who have problems with geese. Use your border collie to round them up then open fire on the flock. Some courses hire people with border collies to keep the geese in the ponds and not on the greens....... Roast goose anyone.....

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 08-15-2012, 11:13 AM   #7

Liked 1790 Times on 816 Posts
Likes Given: 1809

I don't think a dog with long hair would be good in the water. Lot of weight there when wet. Hunting dogs have softer mouths.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:02 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1365 Times on 1034 Posts
Likes Given: 1768

Default Long haired.......

It's not that long hair weighs a dog down in water. Some long haired water dogs have an oily hair that keeps them from sinking, a border collie is not bred for water, but can still fetch in a water situation. They are considered the worlds smartest dog.... The beagle being the dumbest........As for my self I tend to go for yellow labs, I think the movie Old Yeller had something to do with it.......

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 08-15-2012, 02:44 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6144 Times on 3726 Posts
Likes Given: 7016

There are sight hounds, scent hounds, retrievers, pointers, setters, spaniels etc. Each do a different job. Get a dog that suits your hunting needs.

gunnut07 Likes This 
Old 08-15-2012, 03:42 PM   #10

Liked 844 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 829

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Poodles ARE hunting dogs. Border Colllies are herding dogs by instinct and breeding. You probably could teach a Border Collie to hunt but I would highly recommend getting a hunting breed of dog to teach to hunt. Just makes more sense to me.

I have a Border Collie. To excercise and entertain him, we play fetching and herding games. It's best to work with the natural instincts of the breed of dog you have.

Get a hunting dog that best fits the kind of hunting you are going to do.
What I meant was a Poodle is a water retriever & not a coon hound but he could tree a coon as quick if not quicker than most of our hounds. We also had a Border Collie named Hobo that was probably one of the best pure hunting dog as I have ever seen. I am telling you any dog can be taught to hunt any thing..............

When all else fails.