Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   can they be hunting dogs (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/can-they-hunting-dogs-70348/)

1911beast 08-15-2012 12:08 AM

can they be hunting dogs

i was wondering if border collies and kuvasz can be good hunting dogs i want to do duck hunting and small game

marine04 08-15-2012 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911beast
i was wondering if border collies and kuvasz can be good hunting dogs i want to do duck hunting and small game

Any dog can be a hunting dog. The biggest challenge is to teach them to not run when you shoot lol. Once they get used to the shooting you should be fine because it's usually a dogs nature to run after or chase out other animals. Take them shooting and keep them tied up near you to get used to the gun fire and get them the squeak toys that resemble the animal you hunt

303tom 08-15-2012 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marine04 (Post 904081)
Any dog can be a hunting dog. The biggest challenge is to teach them to not run when you shoot lol. Once they get used to the shooting you should be fine because it's usually a dogs nature to run after or chase out other animals. Take them shooting and keep them tied up near you to get used to the gun fire and get them the squeak toys that resemble the animal you hunt

marine04, is correct any dog can be a hunting dog, when I was a kid we had a full-size black Poodle, best coon dog you ever seen, so your answer is YES..................

winds-of-change 08-15-2012 04:48 AM

Poodles ARE hunting dogs. Border Colllies are herding dogs by instinct and breeding. You probably could teach a Border Collie to hunt but I would highly recommend getting a hunting breed of dog to teach to hunt. Just makes more sense to me.

I have a Border Collie. To excercise and entertain him, we play fetching and herding games. It's best to work with the natural instincts of the breed of dog you have.

Get a hunting dog that best fits the kind of hunting you are going to do.

gunnut07 08-15-2012 10:11 AM

WOC is spot on.

While a Border Collie is a smart dog (The Smartest in fact). They are also very high energy. BC's like to herd things. I had one as a kid and you could teach that dog just about anything. But, a lot of times she would revert back to her instinct of herding. At one time she had herded all the dogs in the neighborhood into a pack and was driving them all over the place.

Like WOC said work with the natural drive of the dog to get the best results.

willshoum 08-15-2012 10:58 AM

Fore.........

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911beast (Post 904074)

Mey shey', talk to the owners of Golf courses who have problems with geese. Use your border collie to round them up then open fire on the flock. Some courses hire people with border collies to keep the geese in the ponds and not on the greens.......:eek: Roast goose anyone.....:)

rjd3282 08-15-2012 11:13 AM

I don't think a dog with long hair would be good in the water. Lot of weight there when wet. Hunting dogs have softer mouths.

willshoum 08-15-2012 01:02 PM

Long haired.......

It's not that long hair weighs a dog down in water. Some long haired water dogs have an oily hair that keeps them from sinking, a border collie is not bred for water, but can still fetch in a water situation. They are considered the worlds smartest dog.... The beagle being the dumbest........As for my self I tend to go for yellow labs, I think the movie Old Yeller had something to do with it.......:)

winds-of-change 08-15-2012 02:44 PM

There are sight hounds, scent hounds, retrievers, pointers, setters, spaniels etc. Each do a different job. Get a dog that suits your hunting needs.

303tom 08-15-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change (Post 904485)
Poodles ARE hunting dogs. Border Colllies are herding dogs by instinct and breeding. You probably could teach a Border Collie to hunt but I would highly recommend getting a hunting breed of dog to teach to hunt. Just makes more sense to me.

I have a Border Collie. To excercise and entertain him, we play fetching and herding games. It's best to work with the natural instincts of the breed of dog you have.

Get a hunting dog that best fits the kind of hunting you are going to do.

What I meant was a Poodle is a water retriever & not a coon hound but he could tree a coon as quick if not quicker than most of our hounds. We also had a Border Collie named Hobo that was probably one of the best pure hunting dog as I have ever seen. I am telling you any dog can be taught to hunt any thing..............