Can I hunt with a short barrel shotgun?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Can I hunt with a short barrel shotgun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 07:34 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Default Can I hunt with a short barrel shotgun?

Thinking of going turkey hunting this spring in NYS and I have a mossberg 500 with what I believe is an 18 inch barrel, maybe slightly longer. Anyway, is this adequate for hunting? Or should I guy a full sized barrie for a turkey shoot?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-26-2012, 07:46 AM   #2

Liked 88 Times on 56 Posts

18 1/2" in NY is legal but unless you plan on calling the birds in to like 5 yards, you are going to want a longer barrel with probably a full or turkey choke.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

Old 02-26-2012, 09:58 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2864 Times on 1492 Posts
Likes Given: 254

If you have screw in chokes, use a full or extra full choke and the short barrel will work. You will lose some velocity, but not enough to matter.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-26-2012, 09:59 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2864 Times on 1492 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Oh, and if you need one, I have an extra full turkey choke tube, Mossberg factory part, new in packaging, just pay shipping

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-26-2012, 07:43 PM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Oh, and if you need one, I have an extra full turkey choke tube, Mossberg factory part, new in packaging, just pay shipping
Hey robo cop, thanks, I'd appreciate that.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:35 PM   #6

Shotgun barrel length makes little difference. The choke is the most important factor. But, make sure that you pattern the gun on paper before taking it hunting. Different ammo may pattern differently. Make sure the center of the pattern prints where you aim. I have known some good ole boys to do some plain and fancy missing of turkeys because their full choke was so tight that the pattern flew right past the turkey's head. Sometimes extra full is good and sometimes it too much of a good thing. Depending on the ammo used, weight and size of shot, and shot hardness, your full could pattern like a modified and/or your modified could pattern like a full. You'll never know unless you test it on paper. You wouldn't think of going hunting w/ your rifle without firing a few target groups would you? Then why would a shotgun be any different?
cottontop