Can anyone identify this breed of Canidae?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Can anyone identify this breed of Canidae?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2010, 03:50 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Can anyone identify this breed of Canidae?

Hello everyone,

Can anyone identify this animal? Although it is not me who has shot this specimen or those pictures, I have shot a couple of those animals few years ago, and spotted several others since whitout shooting them.

The guy who took these pictures is not sure about the breed either...

An important thing to note here is that the Location is Mount Lebanon (Between Syria and Israel)

The animal has bodily features from the Fox; pointed mussel, grey-brown color, but it stands higher than a fox and shorter than a coyote. It’s most characteristic feature is that it has a really short tail, like 15 cm long!

It is mostly a nocturnal animal. The sound it makes is close to the cries of the fox, but it is not a solitary animal like the fox, they travel mostly in packs of 3.

I thought at first that it might be a hybrid of Fox and Dog, but I have read somewhere that Foxes and Dogs have different numbers of chromosomes and this makes it impossible for them to breed (?) while dogs can breed with wolves and coyotes.

Would love to hear what you guys make of this...
Thank you for your inputs.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-22-2010, 05:50 AM   #2

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Looks like a chubby fox.

It must eat well!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-22-2010, 06:22 AM   #3

They stand taller than the fox and they live in packs...
Plus the foxes that we have here have a long tail with a white tip (not sure about the exact name of the species) while these animals have a short tail.

But you are right they are chubby and this is due to the abundance of food I guess, they have no fear of getting close to homes and eat from the garbage left outside...

Edit: I have been trying to find more information about this animal for some years now in vain. I know that most of you guys are more familiar with the American versions of Canidaes, but I thought I'd give it a shot and ask here...

Last edited by Mount_Sannine; 02-22-2010 at 06:25 AM.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:34 AM   #4

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mount_Sannine View Post
They stand taller than the fox and they live in packs...
Plus the foxes that we have here have a long tail with a white tip (not sure about the exact name of the species) while these animals have a short tail.

But you are right they are chubby and this is due to the abundance of food I guess, they have no fear of getting close to homes and eat from the garbage left outside...

Edit: I have been trying to find more information about this animal for some years now in vain. I know that most of you guys are more familiar with the American versions of Canidaes, but I thought I'd give it a shot and ask here...
I'm sure as we move through a day cycle someone will jump in and give you some help IDing this furry fellow.

We have several yote terminators here and a ton of hunters.

Welcome again.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-22-2010, 06:36 AM   #5

Thank you canebrake.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:24 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I showed this to a co-worker, he has caught hundreds of coyotes with grey hounds. He looked at photos and feel that is just a coyote. He says he catches some that have even shorter tails than the one in the photo. His best $.02.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:58 PM   #7

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I would venture a guess at a coyote as well. We have alot of them here and I've seen them in all sizes and many different colors. Different tail lenghts, too. It could be a line that has bred with a wild dog somewhere in there.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 02-22-2010, 07:22 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I think its a coyote too.

I know how it can be be frustrated with finding something out, maybe call your Division of Wildlife or take one in and see what the scientists have to say.

coyote.jpg  

Old 02-22-2010, 07:47 PM   #9

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

That my friend, I am pretty positive, is a subspecies of the Golden Jackal called "Canis a. syriacus" and it is native to those regions. It is very similar to the coyote we have here.

It weighs 5–12 kg (11–27 lb), and has a body length of 60-90 cm (24-35 in). Distinguished by its brown ears. Each hair of the back consists of four distinct colors; white at the root, then black, above which foxy-red, and the point black.

Habitat consists of Israel, Syria, and Jordan and they are not endangered.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 02-22-2010, 08:48 PM   #10

:-) IGETEVEN thank you my friend. Finaly got my answer! I knew you guys could help.

"Canis aureus syriacus", that has got to be it.

This is what wikipedia sais:

The Syrian Jackal (Canis aureus syriacus) is a subspecies of golden jackal native to the eastern Mediterranean region from the coast of Lebanon between Beirut and Tripoli. Jackals were common in Lebanon and Palestine in the 1930s–40s, but their populations were reduced during a zealous anti-rabies campaign. Its current status is difficult to ascertain, due to possible hybridisation with pariah dogs.[2] The syrian jackal is distinguished by its brown ears, and each hair of the back consists of four distinct colours; white at the root, then black, above which foxy-red, and the point black.[3] It weighs 5–12 kg (11–27 lb), and has a body length of 60-90 cm (24-35 in). Its head is 14.8–18 cm (5.8–7 in), and its tail is 20–30 cm (8–12 in).[2]

I m not that happy that it has Syria's name in it though :S

Thanks again for all of you!
Cheers