Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Can anyone help me?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2008, 09:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Can anyone help me?

I'm introducing my wife to the sport of hunting, I've purchased her a rossi three caliber combo .22, .243, and 20 gauge.. We are planning on going on a guided hunt here in South Carolina next fall. Our nearest rifle range is an 1 and half hour ride.. Can we zero her rifle using the factory ballistic charts for her round, at 35 yards and it be zero at 100?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-29-2008, 03:45 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Get here close

They say that here in Wisconsin the average shot taken at a whitetail is 35 yards, and from my experience where I hunt, this is correct. I hunt mainly hardwood forests and probably have taken only one whitetail over fifty yard.

From what I understand a .243 is a pretty flat shooter. Find ammunition that will consistently paper well at 35 yards with that firearm and most of the battle has been won. At 100 yards you should be within one inch of zero, or close enough for a clean kill on a broadside or quartering away shot. The vertical kill-zone (lungs / heart) on a broadside whitetail is minimally six inches.

Also, check with the outfitter because now days it is popular for outfitters to have areas set aside for checking zero on your firearm. Shoot Straight, Be Safe, Hunter Joe

Old 12-31-2008, 03:06 PM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Sight it in to where it's about 3/4" low at 35 yards and it will be dead on at 100 yards if you have an 40mm scope mounted roughly 1.5" above bore line.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsniper88 View Post
I'm introducing my wife to the sport of hunting, I've purchased her a rossi three caliber combo .22, .243, and 20 gauge.. We are planning on going on a guided hunt here in South Carolina next fall. Our nearest rifle range is an 1 and half hour ride.. Can we zero her rifle using the factory ballistic charts for her round, at 35 yards and it be zero at 100?
Stalking Bear is right! .5 in low at 25 yrds does the same trick. If you can get her into hunting your a stud and she is the queen!! Been trying for 25 years to get mine to try hunting. May will be her first hunt ever. Wild European boars, she's practicing with her bow now. I'm so excited for her I don't even care if I get mine

Accuracy first! You can't miss fast enough to win! :D :)