Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Is camoflauge needed?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2008, 12:43 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Camo is definatly needed man it breaks up patterns say a light brown with green and other colors well that breaks up your image not just a big bright orange...(proven deer can see UV light therefore hunter orange may be seen)...so ya always wear camo...

Old 11-02-2008, 01:02 AM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
Nope, the first deer I killed I shot sitting on a flat rock, on the ground, in a clearing on the edge of an old logging road. It was almost noon and I was hungry and cold and headed back to the house. I had a long walk ahead of me and had sat down on the rock about halfway up the hill (still had 200 yards to the top of the hill). I heard something to my left and turned just in time to see a large doe walking downhill from me. I waited till she went behind an oak tree, raised my shotgun and when she came out from behind the tree, I fired. I hit her spine, and clipped one of her lungs. She ran about 30 yards and died.

Oh, forgot to say. I was wearing tattered work coveralls with manual tranny fluid on them and wearing an orange hat.
hahaha manual tranny fluid spots is all the camo you need.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:28 PM   #13

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Camo is NOT needed when hunting with gun. Any clothing that's of dull/dark color will allow you to blend in. The ONLY time I wear camo is when bowhunting, for turkey, or (god forbid) man.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:24 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

My usual garb is jeans and a sweatshirt. I've never seen the need for camouflage and hunt far enough away from civilization that I'm not worried about being shot by other hunters that I may run into in the woods.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:49 AM   #15

Liked 71 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I never wear camo. I don't usually get to hunt but three or four times a year but I always get at least one deer. I've been four times this year and have gotten two deer and missed getting a shot at one. Hopefully I'll get another chance to go before season ends. I will say the one I didn't get must have known something was out of place because he never looked away from me. He kept tilting his head this way and that like a puppy does when you make funny noises. He finally went back into the woods.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:03 PM   #16

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostndawoodz View Post
Camo is definatly needed man it breaks up patterns say a light brown with green and other colors well that breaks up your image not just a big bright orange...(proven deer can see UV light therefore hunter orange may be seen)...so ya always wear camo...
Deer can see uv light. I use a detergent that does not have uv brighteners. Heck, I've killed deer after I put down my cigarette so I could raise my gun. I think it is what ever makes you comfortable and confident.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 01-18-2009, 06:00 PM   #17

Liked 71 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Deer can see uv light. I use a detergent that does not have uv brighteners. Heck, I've killed deer after I put down my cigarette so I could raise my gun. I think it is what ever makes you comfortable and confident.
Likewise. Actually I think they're attracted to the smoke. Turkeys are supposed to be so dang smart but last year I was walking back to the truck after an unsuccessful deer hunt and sat next to a pine tree to take a break and get a smoke. Here come six turkeys easin on down the lane with the wind blowin my smoke and scent right to them. They never knew I was there til they got about 20 ft. away and I said BOO. One of the funniest things I've seen while hunting was watching those turkeys trying to get the hell out of Dodge.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:28 PM   #18

deer flip out when they recognize a human. They mostly recognize a human by seeing his hands or face. If you have some camo gloves, and some sort of mesh face cover, you are doing pretty well. Just stay still when they are looking at you, they can see movement very well.

And that is true about UV detergent!

Old 01-20-2009, 01:06 AM   #19

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

It all depends on what your hunting. Coyotes see different that you and deer see different that yotes.

Predator Extreme did a series of articles called The Eyes Have it.

Some of the most expensive camo in the world made you stick out like a straight guy in a gay bar.

All this new High Definition Camo is just hype made to make you feel like you are not seen. When in fact it doesn't help you at all. The best camo in the world is your mind. You want to break up your outline ok to big patches or colors work better than a bunch of small ones. Like the new digital camo the military is using may work in the desert but you will look like a big tan blob in a forested area. I still believe the best camo is the simple woodland camo from the military. Just like if you are painting your face you want to use light colors in low areas and dark colors in the high areas. So tan around your eyes and black on your cheeks. What this does is create an optical illusion that will make your face look distorted.

Last edited by cpttango30; 01-20-2009 at 01:10 AM.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:49 AM   #20

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Some of the most expensive camo in the world made you stick out like a straight guy in a gay bar.
Aluminum gimp ought to know best.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!