Camo confusion - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Camo confusion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2458 Times on 1594 Posts

Also, the pupil of the deer eye is horizontal, which helps it scan for movement.

I wonder how much or how long their night vision is destroyed when they stare at car headlights? In Ohio, it is illegal to do this, or spotlight them, whether hunting or not.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 10-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #32
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8271 Times on 4780 Posts
Likes Given: 10693

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
Also, the pupil of the deer eye is horizontal, which helps it scan for movement.

I wonder how much or how long their night vision is destroyed when they stare at car headlights? In Ohio, it is illegal to do this, or spotlight them, whether hunting or not.
Hard to say, but they don't seem to run into trees on the side of the road after looking into my headlights. Whenever I try to chase them I give up- because I run into too many trees!
Old 10-10-2012, 02:51 AM   #33

Liked 3859 Times on 1864 Posts
Likes Given: 701

Go high in a tree... they don't look up.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:16 AM   #34

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 16

One of my sons has finally taken a "higher path",.....He decided to start buying his OWN hunting gear instead of moochin/stealin mine,haha.

Bow hunting last w/end,he had his first "really close" encounter with Deer.He's sportin the camo du-jour(I can't tell one from another...duh)and instead of sitting off to the SIDE of a well beaten game trail........he's sitting IN it.

No scents.....or sense for that matter(j/k)...or any artificial baits,whatever's.Here comes a breading Doe with what I expect was a young suitor on her heals,runnin down the trail.She stops just short of runnin him over,he's freakin at this point....then she lowers her head and gives him a wiff?

One aspect about camo that goes largely unspoken is that you are going to impact not only Deer,but all game animals considerably LESS by wearing it.Think of the folks that go bird watching?They really should be wearing camo....anybody thats going into the woods and wants to leave less impact should consider not only their shoes but also start wearing camo.Just sayin.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:15 AM   #35

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I dunno, it must be the red neck in me or that my ancestors were Canadian Indians. But I believe deer hunting should be done in a nice quiet red and black flannel shirt. Most cammo materials are so stiff that they need 20 washing's to get through a patch of saplings without disturbing the entire forest. Then you have the cammo variety that is so soft that you will be dragging a half the patch of saplings by the time you get through them. Now if someone made a red and black cammo flannel shirt I would buy it for deer hunting.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #36

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Old Crow.......Got a little Cherokee blood runnin through the veins here.

But had to say,Native Indians I don't "think" hunted for sport.Deep subject to be sure.

Oh I agree about the softness/noise factor trumping most camo patterns.Take an old hoody sweatshirt and practicing your dye-ing skills will work for most folks.And is exactly how we do it for snow camo...slabbering Rit dye from a distance.

All of the above is somewhat secondary to a Deers nose.You can fool their eyes because they have very poor depth perception.....instead relying on movement.So,sit still....duh.And when you do move,say your head,scanning.Nice and smooth,nuthin jerky.Understanding how Deer see human threats.....Usually up-right and walking.But you can sit...take a nap,leaning against a tree and you'll fool their site everytime.

Fooling their ears is or can be funny......look at how a typ. hunter "sneaks" through the woods.How much game are they scaring vs somebody walking through with a running chainsaw?In effect,you can "walk" up to a Deer making whatevr racket and they'll let you get almost into their "personal zone".Start "sneaking" or stalking in....they'll bolt @100yds,haha."Still hunting" is infact that......Uhhh,sitting still.Stalking works great after a cpl days of rain....and is an absolute hoot in a manageble snow fall.Your clothings softness plays a role in some of this.

But one area not so easily fooled is their nose.Imagine if the neighbors dog came over and "did the business" right in the middle of you living rm......say your watchin the boobtube and had to go take a leak.When you get back,theres a fresh pile of dogchit in the room.Thats almost how strong human odors are to Deer.......best to be downwind of them,regardless of how much sprays/soaps/scents.Oh you'll stop a Deer in their tracks with the use of scents.....but don't think for a second you'll get away from them "smelling right through it".Bucks in rut have certain exceptions to that,haha.