Camo confusion - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Camo confusion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 01:19 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1737 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow View Post
Most herbivores are color blind. In fact, to give a herbivore 20/20 vision you would have to strap coke bottles on it's head. I know I have killed more than one deer wearing a white wife beater T-shirt.
I don’t know about that. I thought they had pretty sharp vision, way better than ours, just not colored or with good depth perception. They have a larger field of vision too. How else could they run through the forest at the speeds they do without banging into trees?

A white ‘wife beater t-shirt’ would visually break up a human torso pretty well.

Last edited by Vincine; 10-01-2012 at 11:24 PM.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:00 PM   #22

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

The color isn't what's important it's the pattern. Deer are color blind but if you stick out like a sore thumb because your pattern isn't broken up...then every tiny little movement is magnified

Lack of movement is key and I've shot deer wearing flannel... Best the decision to make where camo is concerned is based on comfort ...

In other words, yes, deer can be shot in flannel or white t-shirts...but camo gives you more room for error...plus....why not?

The color of your camo makes little difference, just go off of the pattern...if the pattern is as foreign to your surroundings as a t-shirt and blue jeans, then your'e really just wasting your money.

Last edited by PrimePorkchop; 10-01-2012 at 04:17 PM.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:07 PM   #23
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8261 Times on 4773 Posts
Likes Given: 10674

I would seriously doubt that non-human animals have poor eyesight. I have seen plenty of evidence that the complete opposite is true if anything. I actually hunt with the presumption that my quarry has much better eyesight, hearing and smell than I do. I wear camo and don't go hunting right after working up a good sweat. I have also been successful in making a kill while stinking sweaty and wearing work clothes.
As for animals being color-blind I am not at all sure that is true either. I know their eyes have more rods (light receptors) than cones (color receptors) so they see better in the dark, but to presume that they can't see color, or they see only in black and white, is only that, a presumption. Until we can physically see through their eyes we will not know.

I have long suspected that many birds can literally see the air. Think about it, they can find thermals so easily it defies logic to think that they can't. We humans can see air, or at least see the heat waves rising off of hot surfaces. It only makes sense to me.

Last edited by Vikingdad; 10-02-2012 at 02:23 AM.
PrimePorkchop Likes This 
Old 10-02-2012, 02:04 AM   #24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I don't have any facts to back me up, but I don't believe animals are color blind. If they were color blind, why do most have a color based camo? All these dumb, color blind animals are running around in the woods with fur coats that are the same color as their surroundings. Some even change their color or pattern with the seasons. To have a color based camo has to mean that they can SEE color and they understand it's importance.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:22 AM   #25

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Rock View Post
I don't have any facts to back me up, but I don't believe animals are color blind. If they were color blind, why do most have a color based camo? All these dumb, color blind animals are running around in the woods with fur coats that are the same color as their surroundings. Some even change their color or pattern with the seasons. To have a color based camo has to mean that they can SEE color and they understand it's importance.
Birds can see color and camo is important. Herbivores are color blind.

Study of deer vision.
http://www.northcountrywhitetails.com/articles/whatdodeersee.htm
http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/hunting/2003/06/what-deer-see
http://www.texashuntworks.com/index.php/Articles/Featured-Articles/How-Deer-See-You.html

I can tell you a secret that will help you kill a lot of deer. No matter if you are hunting on the ground or from a tree pull a few limbs around you. The limbs shouldn't be thick enough to block your vision, just enough to break up your outline. The camo tarps or cloth that people hang up will make a young deer curious. Mature deer that have seen such objects know they mean danger, It takes a few weeks for mature deer to get used to cloth blinds.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Last edited by Old_Crow; 10-02-2012 at 02:40 AM.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:25 AM   #26

Liked 1737 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

I don't believe that they're color blind exactly, but I think they've selected for detail over color. That is cones over rods. Colors change depending on the light and time of day, but horns or teeth are always horns or teeth regardless of the light. Also they are likely to have a higher sense of smell which takes up some amount of 'processing power' that would otherwise be devoted to making sense of the different light frequencies.

Last edited by Vincine; 10-02-2012 at 12:42 PM.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:05 AM   #27

In areas that I hunt VA, NC, MS, LA once the leaves fall off the trees and the woods are "open" deer and turkey start hanging together. The turkey has the best eyesight in the woods. Even birds of prey envy the turkeys binocular vision. The deer's sense of smell and hearing are legendary. Between the turkey and the deer you have a perfect animal. The hunting gets tough after Thanksgiving in the areas I hunt. I have to start hunting much thicker woods to get by the turkey's eyes. I have to always hunt with the wind in my face. All my encounters with deer will be at 30 yards or less.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-02-2012, 03:35 AM   #28

Prey animals such as deer and turkeys have their eyes on the sides of their heads unlike predator animals which have their eyes facing forward. The former have a much wider field of view, but as a result both eyes can't see the same picture at the same time, at least not in its entirety. Binocular vision in prey animals is not anything like your average human/predator binocular vision. A deer, when it hears something or detects movement, will stand stock still staring directly at the object for a long time, especially if it appears to be a human standing as still as he can. Exactly what they see and how they see it is anybody's guess.
Oh, and deer can see color, just not the same segments of the spectrum that we can, they see a much shorter wavelength from yellow up into ultra-violet. One of the results of this is that when you wash your hunting clothes and use a detergent that has phosphorus (a whitener) in it, that is like neon orange (which they can't see) to a deer. Phosphorus lights up like a beacon under ultra-violet light- if you have ever seen a white shirt under a "black" light you have seen this as well as a deer can.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:24 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Prey animals such as deer and turkeys have their eyes on the sides of their heads unlike predator animals which have their eyes facing forward. The former have a much wider field of view, but as a result both eyes can't see the same picture at the same time, at least not in its entirety. Binocular vision in prey animals is not anything like your average human/predator binocular vision. A deer, when it hears something or detects movement, will stand stock still staring directly at the object for a long time, especially if it appears to be a human standing as still as he can. Exactly what they see and how they see it is anybody's guess.
Oh, and deer can see color, just not the same segments of the spectrum that we can, they see a much shorter wavelength from yellow up into ultra-violet. One of the results of this is that when you wash your hunting clothes and use a detergent that has phosphorus (a whitener) in it, that is like neon orange (which they can't see) to a deer. Phosphorus lights up like a beacon under ultra-violet light- if you have ever seen a white shirt under a "black" light you have seen this as well as a deer can.
The part about the white shirt is debatable. Black lights have been around a lot longer than brighteners in detergents. A white shirt under a black light looked the same in the 70's as it does today. Today when you buy clothes, even camo they are treated with brighteners so they look good under fluorescent lighting. Yet we are still killing deer by the thousands. When you are spotted by a deer it's hunter error not the clothing you are wearing.

Last edited by Old_Crow; 10-02-2012 at 04:28 AM.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:31 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow View Post
The part about the white shirt is debatable. Black lights have been around a lot longer than brighteners in detergents. A white shirt under a black light looked the same in the 70's as it does today.
I was talking about how phosphorus reflects UV light and it is not visible to the human eye and making an analogy to a white T-Shirt so that a human like you and me can visualize what happens. You can wash a camouflage shirt with a phosphorus detergent and while you and I will not see any visible difference, it will look like a white t-shirt under black light to a deer. Hope that clears up what I was trying to say.